This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/9/2008 5:00 PM PDT
Anowalk, I like your style... You crack me up.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/5/2008 12:59 PM PDT

anowalk
Don't let her boss you around, Sunflower. Do what I do. Hang your chapter on the wall and shoot spit balls at it. Where ever a spit ball sticks, cut that sentence.

Posted: 6/4/2008 8:42 AM PDT
Well, why isn't it good, according to you? If possible, print if out and write all over it to identify problem parts. Some things to look at: 1) Grammar and punctuation - pretty much line editing. 2) Sentence structure - do you ramble? Are they too short and non-descriptive? Do you always use a passive voice? 3) Characters - have you introduced them well enough? Does the reader know enough that they care about them? are all characters essential to the storyline? Are they realistic? Do they have more dimensions than cardboard? 4) Plot - is there one? Have you made it somewhat apparent? 5) Hook - did you make a strong hook for the reader to draw them in? Does the end of the chapter make the reader want to turn the page to read more? Read on WEbook and in the bookstores and see what other writer's do to make their first chapters compelling. Go to the library or bookstore and buy books on writing (check on Amazon.com first to read reviews before you spend the money, of course!) If you feel you're getting blocked by the first chapter, don't bother revising it. Move onto the next one. The more you write, the more you'll get a feel for the characters, which will help you revise later on. Is your first chapter on WEbook? If so, put up a link!

Posted: 6/2/2008 10:52 AM PDT
Hello! I just start to write a chaper, now I want to rewrite it because it isn't very good, what can I do? Please help me