This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 4/24/2017 1:22 PM PDT
I had a terrible introduction to self(vanity) publishing of my novel TURBULENCE a year ago. While I received six reviews, and got  four 5 stars, one 4 star and one 3star, I sold practically nothing in paperback or digital on all outlets still available on all of the sites. 

I want to make sure I research the best possible path to successful publication, of my new novel EXTORTION, where marketing neophytes like me are able to successfully promote my novel. In terms of years of experience, nobody connected to publishing has a longer and more established record than Kirkus Reviews.  According to their website, they have been plying their review trade since 1934!  My manuscript is edited and completed. Would submitting to Kirkus be the better way to expose us to publishers and agents first?  Seems to me that rather chasing agents and publishers one by one, a respected pre-publication complimentary review by Kirkus would be more productive. Downside is that they sure charge for their reputation. A 300 word review would cost about $400. or more than a buck and a quarter a word!  Do publishers and agents scour Kirkus for new authors of fiction?

I want to make sure I research the best possible path to successful publication, where marketing neophytes like me are able to successfully promote my novel. In terms of years of experience, nobody connected to publishing has a longer and more established record than Kirkus Reviews.  According to their website, they have been plying their review trade since 1934!  My manuscript is edited and completed. Would submitting to Kirkus be the better way to expose us to publishers and agents first?  Seems to me that rather chasing agents and publishers one by one, a respected pre-publication complimentary review by Kirkus would be more productive. Downside is that they sure charge for their reputation. A 300 word review would cost about $400. or more than a buck and a quarter a word! Do publishers and agents scour Kirkus for new authors of fiction?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply