This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Drum up support for a new WEbook writing group and connect to WEbookers with similar interests.
Posted: 9/8/2017 10:05 AM PDT
We enjoy them because of the instant justice you get from watching them -Bonanza, the Rifleman, the Lone Range -it's all about the instant triumph of good over evil.

Who needs law, justice, freedom or anything for that matter.

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/9/2010 9:52 PM PDT
Err, John Wayne seemed like a silly Western Cowboy, His methods just looked cartoon like. Now Clint Eastwood, Hes a fantastic Western image, Very Cold and looked as sharp as a axe head.

Posted: 5/25/2010 12:21 AM PDT
I AM AGREE WITH THIS TOPIC, Acai berry detox

Posted: 5/25/2010 12:20 AM PDT
I am new here and read your topic and agree with this artilce,Most Asian eat rice, but I never hard European, Western people eat white rice most of the time, are there arny one who eat white rice most of time? [url=http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/acai-berry-trim-amp-detox-review-don039t-buy-until-you-read-this-review-2091904.html]Acai berry detox[/url]

Posted: 9/24/2009 2:29 AM PDT
I like John Wayne, too. And director John Ford's westerns. Some writers think that westerns and science fiction are different forms of the same thing. They aren't. But westerns and fantasy share the same threads. How can that be, you say? Both are about good versus evil. Heroes overcoming the evil in themselves and evolving into good guys, such as John Wayne's character's transformation in "The Searchers". And heroes overcoming evil before it overcomes the world, such as in "Shane". You could probably make Lord of the Rings into quite a western epic if you could figure it out. If you think about it, Larry McMurty's Blue Duck in Comanche Moon and Lonesome Dove is really just a vampire. Some villians in westerns are forced into it by their circumstances, like werewovles, evil but not by their own choice. If you haven't a good idea for a good western, find a good fantasy or horror story and use it as a template for your western. You're not cheating if you do that. A lot of westerns are based on Shakespeare. Or pick a part of the war in Iraq. That'd work good, too.

Posted: 9/9/2009 11:12 AM PDT
John Wayne is my hero.

Posted: 9/1/2009 4:42 PM PDT
Many of us "older" individuals were raised during the time that Westerns were the normal in books, movies and television. Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey were only two of the better Western writers that I read. This was back in the days when you took a bunch of books out of the library when you went on vacation. You had to entertain yourself. Perhaps we liked the Western because everything was black and white - good and evil - right and wrong. Life was simpler back then and easier to understand. Also, the Western was part of "recent" American History and many readers had relatives that lived during part of the 1800's. Turning your characters into a real person can be difficult. The reader has to care about them and understand why they act the was they do. They have to be human but not all good or all evil. The next time you are out for a walk, study a few people that you see. Does their appearance or a particular mannerism make you like or dislike them? Why? Write it down and use this with your characters.

Posted: 12/25/2008 4:01 PM PST
Hi PePeLePew and gang---I, too am a lover of the western. I always thought of Zane Grey, as the king of the western, but I like L`Amour`s work as well. I have written a western novel called Shootout at Saddle Rock, and several short stories about the west. I don’t know what is meant by the vague request for help to start a western. I will send you one of my shorts perhaps that will help. Let me know what you think. Talk to you soon---ablelaz.

Posted: 12/20/2008 8:38 AM PST
I have all of Louis L'Amour's works as a hard back collection. His "thing" was great attention to detail using real places and correct facts. When a historically true character was inserted into a story, (s)he was actually at the location at the time stated. I read a book during the summer, on how to write a blockbuster. One point I have decided to follow through with, is to write the life stories as well as descriptions of my characters. This will mean that when I put them into a situation, I will know what their reactions will be. It means more work at the start, but, when I have the locations and characters sorted out, the stories should just flow. Nigel.

Posted: 11/16/2008 2:08 PM PST
Write a human framework first. If you want to shortcut then Shakespeare wrote most of the basic ones. Steal one of his ideas. You don't need to read the whole play any study cheat book will give you an outline. Modify the outline until it is a story you want to tell. For each character give them features, I steal features from the public that make an impression like a girl with blonde hair and green eyes or an attractive man withone mangled arm. Conflict is strengths and faults. A main character that comes to grief because of his/her own strength nearly always works. Good is not good all the time. Bad can intentionally or unintentionally commit a good deed. Muddy the water. Hamlet is interesting because he was right but caused havoc because he was not decisive. This tells you how the story line developes. Character depth is often in the details. A man in a black hat is a bad guy. A man in a black hat who needs a shave is a bad guy who has been living rough or is a slob. Pick a place and time. For westerns this is 1820 to 1900 and Illinois to California. More Kansas to Texas to Arizona if 1860+. I use random pick for the place. Research that area. Wikipedia is a good place to start then follow threads to get details and personal references. It helps refernce the work if you can place known characters into the story. But don't get their details wrong. Billy the Kid can be a little bit good sometimes but Abraham Lincoln does not steal. The research is there to add depth and background to the human story. Star Wars was King Arthur with light sabres.

Posted: 10/8/2008 2:13 PM PDT

zillerbeth
I am in the process of reading Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry it is the first real western book I have read (I love western films and have watched loads). Anyway his characters come across as real not just action cowboys, they think, have feelings and have a history to them. Is that any help?

Posted: 10/8/2008 9:37 AM PDT
Anyone out there who loves westerns? Why do we enjoy them so much? Any tips or suggestions on how to go about writing one, without using streotypical stock characters? How do you give a character dimension, and make them into a real person, not just a name on a page? Looking for answers...