This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Your publishing industry superstore; discussion of current trends, helpful resources and websites, query letter tips, writing contest information, and all else related to this dynamic industry.
Posted: 5/8/2010 1:26 AM PDT
I agree with that. I have only finished one project, but it is 225,000 words. My second is getting close to 200,000, but it isn't finished yet.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 4/22/2010 12:36 PM PDT

Beruthiel
Thank goodness, FaithAnneLove, I was so relieved to find your post here! My finished work comes in "just under 5000 words" too. I was getting worried that no one is publishing, in English, at this sort of length [translations seem to be a different matter altogether!] What has been yourexperience in trying to get your 'noveletta' published?

Posted: 7/28/2009 4:56 PM PDT
Generally...40,000-200,000? At least that's my range. I'm not about to read something that's half a million words long. :P But I'm not really one to talk, last book I wrote the plot was just starting to build up at 35k. >>; To me, the shorter (but not to short, mind you) the book is, the more meaning and emotion it probably has. I gobble up short books with sad endings in 3 hours flat.

Posted: 7/20/2009 6:05 PM PDT
I think 15,000 is supposed to be a conservative average. After all there are some books that are really thick, and some that are really thin, and they're all good (and published).

Posted: 7/13/2009 8:25 AM PDT
15,000 words is pretty short for a book. I mean, its hard writing a lot of words. I know. xD But once you get into the habit of writing everyday you find that you have over 15,000 words and still a lot more to go. So, add to it. Whats the harm right? It will only make your characters even more detailed and alive. Good luck. (:

Posted: 6/23/2009 6:34 PM PDT
oh my lord ... In my current collection , I have not even one novel I have written that is less than 200,ooo words killing words is just over 55o,ooo .... I suspect nothing I do will ever sell , but the very idea of 150,ooo words is a short subject for me.

Posted: 6/5/2009 12:13 PM PDT

TsungChi
Here's a general guideline: SStories: up to 10,000 words Novellette: up to 25,000 words Novella: up to 50,000 words Novels: 50,000 words + Poetry anthologies: 50 + poems Non-fiction anthologies: the first one we (WEbook) published had approximately 70 articles.

Posted: 5/3/2009 7:07 PM PDT

HorrorPunk
There are a lot of varying viewpoints on just how long a novel should be. For one thing, formatting is different for both hard cover and paperback books, and so is the length. There are certain genres that are known for a longer length, like science fiction or historical fiction. If it's shorter, I don't believe that should prevent you from submitting your work though. The formula that I use is for paperback books and it is: 1,000 words = 4 pages. I've heard that a good word count for a first novel is between 50-65K, which makes sense when you consider the formula above. So it should run between about 200-260 pages, which is pretty standard fare. What some authors will do (at least in the horror genre) to market a novella is to throw in some short stories to pad the book.

Posted: 5/3/2009 6:33 PM PDT
I know this is a little late but when I read this i got curious and looked it up. Mind you just a brief look up by googling 'book length' and going to the first website that looked like it had the info I was looking for. This is what I found... Writing a historical romance? It better be between 100,000 to 125,000 words... Most mystery novels run between 60,000 and 65,000 words (In general) Find five or six books within your books genre, and then follow this simple formula: Book pages x lines on a full page x 9 = number of words (of course completely copied right from the website) This should help most of us who are curious about this sort of thing. If I'm wrong I'm hoping someone will correct me. currently the novel I'm working on "World of Glass" (shameless plug) will eventually be about 60,000 words...I'll have to check the formula out to see if I need to put in another chapter or two - more mayhem for the main characters *rubbing hands together and smiling an evil grin*

Posted: 3/22/2009 6:45 PM PST
here it is the night before submission for vote and I am worrying myself. What is considered book length? I have a...well I suppose it's a noveletta...it has 14 chapters, a prologue, and an epilogue and is only a little under 15000 words...is that ok?