This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > Bulletin Board > WEbook’s Latest News and Information > WEbook Competition Winner's Book? Thoughts?
Get the scoop on the latest developments at WEbook....then let us know how we are doing.
Posted: 11/3/2014 9:04 PM PST
Sue, I like this idea "A Challenge Met"
How about, When Webookers Meet Challenges?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/3/2014 9:04 PM PST
Sue, I like this idea "A Challenge Met"
How about, When Webookers Meet Challenges?

Posted: 10/31/2014 9:21 AM PST
Okay, how did I miss this?  Great to hear that, and it makes sense to take this first one up to the end of 2014 and then start afresh from there on in.  Hopefully, this will really boost the profile of the challenges too.

Title ideas?  Hmm, I'm not great at this kind of thing (I usually think up a title BEFORE I start writing!), but here goes nothing:
Rules but no Boundaries
Written Worlds
A Challenge Met   

Posted: 10/24/2014 7:38 AM PDT

hlk88

Hi everyone,

We've been discussing the WEbook Competition Winner's Book here at WB HQ and we've decided that we are going to include every winning and runner up entry, starting from when the site was relaunched up until the end of this year. From then on out, the book will be released as a yearly anthology.

This means we can include everyone in the book, and we can then continue to release a Competition Winner's Anthology every year. Yay!

Thoughts?

P.S. We still need a title so ideas are welcome :)

Posted: 10/13/2014 10:01 AM PDT

hlk88

Thanks for all of your input everyone - we've got some really great ideas here!

Unfortunately, I'm going to immediately veto that photo go 'you' @FinneanNilsen - this was a somewhat questionable contribution...

We like the idea to begin from May 2013 when the site was relaunched. However, we'd have to do May '13 - April '14 to enable us to do the same period the following year and turn the book into an annual anthology, as otherwise we would have 13 months in the book...

Another alternative is to do all of the entries from May 2013 up until the close of October's Grimm Challenge - then we can start afresh in November and everyone who has been involved so far is able to be included within the book, and it ensures that those winners who have voiced their support on here but who won after May 2014, are able to be included. 

We are really enthusiastic to be able to include the entries which have come later this year, but there are of course both positives and negatives to both options in terms of the formatting of the book. 

If anyone has any suggestions, please let us know!

Posted: 10/12/2014 2:43 PM PDT
Oh, I see, you want to include the runners up as well. That could work better.

Posted: 10/11/2014 10:16 PM PDT
I'm confused as to how you came up with 10,000 words. 12 months, 84 winning titles. Each challenge varies between 300-1000 words.  So that puts us anywhere between 25,000 words, with a maximum of 84,000 words.

So I'm guessing around 64,000 words would be midline...? (Which would include all 12 winners 72 runner ups if they decide to include all 6)

Posted: 10/11/2014 7:56 PM PDT
I was under the impression that was what they were suggesting.

But, as I said, that idea will leave a finished product less than 10,000 words long.

Posted: 10/11/2014 7:56 PM PDT
I was under the impression that was what they were suggesting.

But, as I said, that idea will leave a finished product less than 10,000 words long.

Posted: 10/10/2014 4:05 PM PDT
If we want to make the cover really attractive, I would suggest doing the obvious and putting a picture of me on it:

Beyond that, why don't we do twelve chapters, one for each month, starting with the first challenge after webook was reborn? I believe it was aptly named the "WEbook Challenge"...? Otherwise, by picking an arbitrary month, we're inadvertently punishing any winners from previous months (myself included, though that's not the reason for my mentioning it). Plus, it gives you a buffer of a few months, so that the first edition can be released by Christmas of this year and include a Christmas Challenge winner. The entries would just run from May 2013 to May 2014, with the winners (and runners-up) from after that being included in the next.
Win. Win. Win.
And I should think the intellectual rights are retained by the author, who would sign a contract allowing WEbook to reproduce them for the book. No different then any other short story collection.
Or am I missing something?

Posted: 10/8/2014 11:19 PM PDT
I don't see an issue with having two november and december challenges in the book. It'll help increase wordcount. :) The phoenix is a nice idea but was hoping the cover might have a little color?

Posted: 10/8/2014 9:45 PM PDT
Hmmm. 9000 words. It could also be a magazine called "Webook Challenges [Year] to be released let's say on February or March. That magazine could feature the books that Webook has already published and propably include some sponsors, classified ads offering services related to writing.

Posted: 10/8/2014 3:18 PM PDT
I don't know much about graphic design but I'd go for something simple and not too 'busy'.

I also don't know why you want to mix the years, isn't there now almost a years back-catalogue of work? I don't think there is anything wrong with going down this route though.

I really like the idea of splitting it into seasons and having 12 stories for 12 months. I think putting in six runners up per month is too many stories, but, to be clear, 12 stories at ~700-800 words per story only adds up to a total of 9000 words. That's very short. Even short novels like The Great Gatsby are ~10 times this length. It's not really a book in that sense.

Finally, who 'owns' these works? Are they now the intellectual property of WeBook?

Posted: 10/6/2014 4:39 PM PDT
I love the idea of the Phoenix a lot.   The spine is a very small place to see a logo and does the spine appear in online/ ebooks? I saw one collection of books that has the logo of their publishing house at the bottom in the cover. It makes readers remember more easily where the books come from. That helps with Webook’s branding. When I say logo I refer to the logo symbol (both text and drawing). I think the Webook’s colors should be part of that (blue and orange) because it makes it stand out from other logos.   There are some logo design guidelines. One for example is that when you reduce the logo to 1 cm2, it should be clearly visible. There are designs/drawings with too many details that although they look beautiful, they become invisible when they are reduced to a certain size both in print and online. How about a simpler Phoenix mixing it with the Webook name?   http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/76186   http://www.creativebloq.com/graphic-design/pro-guide-logo-design-21221   I’ve seen the quill before used by other publishing houses and magazines.   There are also studies on which colors and color combinations sell better and/or are better retained by the human mind. For example, for massive products (not books) red and white, black and white, orange and black/yellow signs, warmth pastel colors for restaurants (that induce the desire to eat), cold pastel colors for hospitals, etc.   In regards to the structure: How about starting the book from January of the year to December? (and not mixing two different years). Also, some of the winners of the challenges have won challenges in different months. An index could be added at the beginning with the name of those writers and the challenges they won.

Posted: 10/6/2014 9:33 AM PDT

hlk88

Great ideas everyone! So it looks like we should make the book set out in seasons with 12 'Chapters', one for each month. This means we'll have to pick a start and a finish month... I suggest including the entries that begin from last November and then working our way through the year, so that we include the October challenge winners from 2014 within the book. I'm not suggesting we start at November within the book, this I think would suit a January > December structure - unless anyone else thinks otherwise?

So the months would go:

- January (2014)
- et al.
- October (2014)
- November (2013)
- December 2013

I know this may appear to be a slightly odd structure, but it does have the advantage of brining us up to the current challenge and allows us to include a Christmas Challenge entry. If we let it go up until December of this year, then we have the problem of having two Christmas or December writing challenges!
If anyone else has another idea for how we could structure this, please do feel free to make your thoughts known!
This is getting exciting!
H

Posted: 10/6/2014 7:24 AM PDT
I'm not sure how you posted that photo Sue, but I seem to have trouble getting any of my photos to appear on this forum. 
It's a bit frustrating. 
Here's the link anyway. 
Quill 
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-60534697/stock-vector-pen-in-the-form-of-the-bird-s-feather-on-the-b...

Posted: 10/6/2014 7:20 AM PDT

I do think the WeBook emblem is nice, but it'll already be on the spine of the book. So we already know its a Webook. I think the cove art should strictly on its own. Like titled "WeBook short stories" Or "65 Short stories".  Maybe a cover with a Quill on the front. That represents writing. Creativity. 

Maybe the quill in this image could be writing  WeBook in swirly script...  a design that is handwritten but legible. 

Posted: 10/6/2014 4:06 AM PDT
Nice ideas, Nyree and mstrongair.  Maybe there should be a Pheonix on the front too?  As this is the first collection of community work since WeBook was 'reborn'.  And it should, at all costs, be simple, eye-catching (more colour than the image below) and classic.  Maybe the WeBook logo could be incorporated into the design - e.g. If an image like the one below was used, then the Webook logo could be incorporated into the tail feathers/flames somewhere - a symbol not only of the rebirth of the site, but of how WeBook itself supports and drives the authors here to keep on going, and improving.

Posted: 10/4/2014 8:13 PM PDT
It sounds like a great idea.
A suggestion for the covers: include the WeBook logo on them.

Posted: 10/4/2014 11:33 AM PDT
That link doesn't work.. it posted wrong. 
Here it is again. 
http://thejunket.org/
Simple, clean. Just an idea to work with. As, I find it rather fun to read something in this type of text. :)

Posted: 10/4/2014 11:28 AM PDT
I just wrote an in-depth reply.. but it doesn't seem to have posted. (grumble)
I agree with Sue. I think the challenges should be broken down into calendar months. Each chapter should probably state the month and then have a short description of the challenge. Then, the proceeding pages would be the winning story and the six or maybe even the top three runner ups?
Maybe each chapter could have a small sketch beneath title depicting the season. Winter, snowflake. Spring a budding flower. Summer .. a pair of sunglasses? And for Alec's sake a blonde wearing a red bikini at the top of the page. (Kidding)

So it would look like this, for example. The Junket has an awesome theme. Very simple and clean look to it. 
http://http//www.julianmills.com/project/the-junket/

Posted: 10/4/2014 11:04 AM PDT
I think a WeBook book is a great idea. :)

Posted: 10/3/2014 8:51 AM PDT

hlk88

That's a great idea - because this is a book for WEbook, we'd love to have as many suggestions as possible on everything from layout to cover artwork and all that's left in between. Including all of the runner's up is a great idea, but we will have to see how long the book is going to be - it would be great if we could include them all though!

H

Posted: 10/2/2014 10:05 AM PDT
Just one thought:  Might be nice grouping them in Seasons or presenting the entries as a Calendar?  -  After all, the challenges often focus on a specific feature of the month, like Valentine's Day, April Fool's Day, Gothic horror for Halloween etc... but you'd definitely want more than one entry for each month, I think?  Maybe the winner AND the six runners up?

Posted: 10/2/2014 9:59 AM PDT
Count me in!  Love the idea.

Posted: 10/2/2014 9:09 AM PDT
Sounds great-- I'm on board!

:-)

Posted: 10/2/2014 8:59 AM PDT
I love this idea - I'm all in with my support.

Posted: 10/2/2014 8:06 AM PDT

hlk88

Here at WEbook HQ, we're thinking about making a WEbook book of your winning competition entries from our Monthly Challenges, and perhaps also include a couple of the highly commended runners up within it as well! 

Each winner featured in the book would receive a complimentary copy, and the book would be available in both print and as an ebook from the WEbook store.

We'd love to get everyone's thoughts, ideas and potential concerns (if any!) about this...

Fire away!

H