This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Start laughing!
Posted: 2/22/2011 10:27 AM PST
Let your character tell the story. Why shouldn't you? After all, it's his book. As to the re-writes, nobody gets published with a first draft, so you'll have to do re-writes anyway.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/13/2011 5:30 AM PST
Does this ever happen to anyone else? - Yes. It helps for me if I don't set out to try to write within a very rigid framework. I tend to start in the middle of the page, open the windows and let the breeze blow through first, then see what I've got. Sometimes I end up with something very different from what was wanted or needed by the "plan", but it's nearly always useful. I also try to avoid rewriting anything, and would rather change my goals a little to keep something good than risk taking out the essence in an effort to "reign in" what I've made. There are lots of paths over the mountain.

Posted: 11/13/2010 10:45 PM PST
Howdy. I seem to be having a bit of an issue. Here's the situation. I'm writing a story about a thief named Sam Washington (ya, cliche, thats the point) who in normal circumstances is actually rather passive and sarcastically irreverent. But, when things get a bit more complicated and through a series of mishaps, he ends up being chased down and hounded by lunatic madmen, his humor seems to take on an almost narcissistic tone. It fits with the story, but i'm having trouble keeping my character within the reigns. Does this ever happen to anyone else? It's almost like my character is leaping off the pages and writing himself. Please, tell me there are tips out there to tie this back down without having to rewrite some of my favorite parts again... because in my experience a rewrite just doesn't have the same magic as the first words you wrote. Any tips or even constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. God bless.