This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 6/14/2010 6:09 PM PDT
Well, everyone is different. I get my inspiration in about three different ways One way is my own life, this doesn't happen often because I have a boring life {but I love it} :} Another way is it comes to me by what you would expect to be inspired by. {Books, music, radio, news - I don't recommend that unless it is depressing, people preaching or talking ect.} But usually I don't have inspiration, I just write a sentence. Now, I will not judge my own ideas because I am automatically biased, but I will say that I have seen great works evolve from one sentence. Even if it doesn't work it is fun to try and write a story from a single sentence, word, or even a phrase. Hope to be of help :}
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/13/2010 4:49 PM PDT
Take a walk, eat, come back cool off, read a book ,then think. The important thing to do is to relax, and re-energize when you are so focused on coming up with ideas there the most stubborn to appear. Reading, or watching a movie helps, its important to never let your creative inout over come your output so to say

Posted: 5/3/2010 8:50 PM PDT
I don't know what you typically get your ideas from, but a few things that influence me for writing are music, video games, and nature. Nature tends to be the best for me in terms of giving me ideas for settings or specific scenes. Try chilling in a park or woods or something like that.

Posted: 4/19/2010 2:20 PM PDT
Open up a document on Word or get out a piece of paper. Turn the lights off. Make sure everything is silent--or if you can't have silence right now, turn on some music to drown out other sounds. Then, close your eyes and write everything you're thinking. Everything. Even if you don't think it'll help, if it crosses your mind, write it down. This usually helps me when I'm stuck.

Posted: 3/31/2010 7:56 AM PDT
I often find inspiration in a book I'm reading; just a phrase or a description might catch my attention and suddenly it seems to apply to my life and zoom...I'm off on a tangent.

Posted: 3/27/2010 12:15 AM PST
Go take a bath. Go to a public place and write down people's dialogue (discreetly!). Open up a book. Read a random sentence. Try to make a new story out of it. Research unusual topics. Record your dreams.

Posted: 3/18/2010 8:54 PM PST
Well, inspiration comes from anything. I've actually gotten inspiration from music for the most part. My newest story idea came from Evanescence's song Missing. The line that really got me in the song was "Even though I'm the sacrifice..." Now my story is about a girl who needs to sacrifice everything, literally. Her life, her love, everything. Any way, that's where I get my inspiration. Music. TV shows can give you great inspiration. Anything can literally give you inspiration. Your imagination, your dreams, the simplest thing can give you inspiration. Just keep your eyes and ears open. Hope I helped. WATCH OUT FOR PLOT HOLES!!!!!! Gothwriter

Posted: 2/3/2009 12:17 AM PST
Well your description of the problem tells me that you are in an ambiguous state of mind just now. Your ideas are probably just fine your ability to sort them into useful not useful piles is the problem. The way to rid yourself of this uncertainty is to go through the process of thinking up ideas and writing them down point form then to pick the best one from the list. Use this idea for something, say short story 500 words or so. Then go back to the list and pick the next best and use it. Continue untill you find an idea that cannot be worked. Then repeat this process in a day or two. If you find you have confidence choosing good ideas then stop this excersize or repeat it occasionaly. Note the point of this is not to write anything good it is to just write some stuff simple and easy from the ideas you come up with. The real point of this is to prioritize the ideas you do have into workable not workable ideas and to complete a couple paras on the idea. If you find that you cannot come up with an idea then that eliminates my diagnosis of your problem but no need to worry I think you will find that by not being focussed on ideas but sorting them that they may tend to pop out a little easier. That said if you're still stuck fall back on the old standbys 1. Read suff you enjoy including your own work. 2. Write discriptive stuff journaling is helpful here. 3. Look into the things in life that you are passionate about past, present, and future and try writing about them including writing. Good Luck.

Posted: 2/2/2009 7:21 AM PST
I have tried all my regular things for inspiration and they usually work and i get amazing ideas but lately I have had no good ideas!!!! Any thoughts on how to help???