This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > Bulletin Board > FAQs: Help for Writers on WEbook > How to improve my stories Grammar?
Help for writers who want to use WEbook like a pro.
Posted: 4/27/2014 1:25 PM PDT

Typical Examples of Bad Grammar

Verb Tense Errors

Verb tense errors occur when you use the wrong verb tense and are a common grammar mistake. The verb tense tells the reader of your sentences when the action is taking place - in the past, the present or the future. You must be consistent on verb tense, unless there's some reason to make a switch to a different tense.Some examples of verb tense errors include:
  • I go to the store and I bought milk. Go is a present tense verb. Bought is a past tense verb. Bought should be buy milk since these two events both occur at the same time. 
  • I will eat fish for dinner and drank milk with my dinner. Will eat is a future tense verb but drank is a past tense verb. Since the dinner is going to happen in the future, it is not possible that the milk was drunk already. 

Subject/Verb Agreement Errors

The subject of the sentence (the person or thing doing the action) has to agree in number with the verb (the word representing the action). Otherwise, you have an example of bad grammar.Here are some examples of situations where the subject and verb do not agree:
  • Matt like fish. Matt is singular; like is plural. The sentence should read Matt likes fish. 
  • Anna and Mike is going skiing. Anna and Mike are plural. Is is singular. The sentence should read Anna and Mike are going skiing. 

Noun/Pronoun Errors

Pronouns take the place of nouns in sentences. In order to avoid a grammar error, the pronoun has to agree with the noun that it is replacing.Some examples of bad grammar errors that occur due to noun/pronoun agreement errors include:
  • Anna and Pat are married and he has been married for 20 years. Anna and Pat are plural, and he is singular. The sentence should read Anna and Pat are married and they have been married for 20 years. 
  • Everyone forgot their notebook. Everyone is singular (every single individual one) and their is plural. This should readEveryone forgot his or her notebook. This is one of the most common grammatical errors that exists today. 

Double Negatives

Double negatives are a classic example of bad grammar.Some examples include:
  • don't want no pudding. Because you have said you do not want no pudding, essentially this sentence suggests that you do want some pudding, which is the opposite of the intended meaning. 
  • I can't hardly believe. Can't and hardly are both negative constructions. 
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/26/2014 2:31 AM PST

Yes your right other people spell things differently another good example is recognised or recognized then their is words that mean 
different things but sound the same, see, sea, saw, sore, hear, here, there, their, hair and hare. 
There is many more, like bored and board. 

Posted: 3/25/2014 1:31 AM PST
I have had a couple of comments about grammar and spelling on submissions to page to fame.
To be honest I could not see why, and an English teacher friend of mine could not understand why either.
Then I had a brain wave, I took my page and ran it through a grammar and spell checker set to English US rather than English UK. This identified a host of grammar and spelling errors.

In short given that this is a multinational community Your spelling and grammar issues my come down to, As George Bernard Shaw  apparently put it ‘England and America are two countries separated by the same language'. For example your work contains the word 'colour' In the UK that would be fine, but an American may ask, Can't you spell? Spell the word color, and someone in the UK will ask the same question.

Frankly, on a site like this spelling and grammar is to some extent a lost cause.

Posted: 3/17/2014 11:16 AM PST
pdsa1, people can (and do) spend their entire lives learning all the finer points of grammar. But if you'd like to post a link to one of your stories I'd be happy to look it over for you.

Posted: 3/17/2014 1:15 AM PST

I am sorry but this is a topic about Grammar and not page to fame I really would like to see some examples of an easy quick 
fix. Can we please stay on topic.

Posted: 3/16/2014 12:41 PM PST
wouldn't it be nice if when they clicked on that button the rater would elaborate in someway?

Posted: 3/11/2014 2:40 AM PST

I have be getting allot of feedback saying that I need to work on my grammar.
This I understand improves the flow of the story, it also makes it more readable and less messy. 
I was wondering any tips on how to make my story read better?

Can you show me some examples of grammar- the bad, the good and the ugly. 

Ha! sneaking me putting a film reference in here. Thanks