This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/22/2008 12:11 PM PST
Most of the time I put too much setting in the first chapter and not enough main character (and I always write in 1st person) but that's just my preference. There is something to be said about not doing an info dump at the beginning of a story, it makes the story drag and doesn't keep the reader motivated to read more.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/31/2008 12:39 AM PST
Personally I think you may do whatever the Hell you feel like doing, 'cause it's not WHAT you do that matters, but HOW you do it. There are no absolute guidelines when it comes to writing. Writing, let's remember it sometimes, is also an Art, and in this respect should be a struggle for beauty and originality. A lot of people don't like big chunks. But chunks of description, big chunks of analysis, big chunks of dialogue. I love them. So I guess personal taste counts as well. Nobody but you can tell you how you must write, not mentioning that even you may not have so much your say, when writing is a self-developing process... I loved this bit in Gombrowicz's Ferdydurke when he tells about that author who, utterly by chance, struck the heroic chord in the beginning of his novel, and then, because he minded a lot about coherence, he ended up writing a whole heroic novel... though he did it in spite of himself, and by chance, quite by chance! Scary, huh?

Posted: 10/27/2008 5:11 AM PST
It depends... if there's some big secret you want to sprinkle it through the story. However, if it is something that builds you want to drop it near the beginning. For instance, mine has a little of both. One character will be totally visible, but the others will drop hints.

Posted: 10/25/2008 1:50 AM PDT
Well, it depends. Is it narrative? If it is you can do both as people tend to introduce themselves and their world. If it's third person it's probably better to sprinkle. I don't recommend writing anything in the second person. It almost never works out.

Posted: 10/13/2008 3:24 PM PDT
Thank you. So now i have to redo a part of chapter one.

Posted: 10/13/2008 2:59 PM PDT
I'd say just drop in hints throughout, and never reveal everything you know about the character. xxx

Posted: 10/13/2008 2:50 PM PDT
Is it a bad idea to give the characters background right off the bat or should it be bits and pieces through out the story?