This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/19/2008 7:38 AM PDT
The last sentence can really be tough. You want to provide resolution, and possibly a feeling of "summing up" what's happened. Yet the best endings, in my opinion, are those that suggest a new beginning. It's like leaving the door cracked open a tiny bit, letting a sliver of light in, instead of closing it all the way. Try asking yourself what would happen if the story were to keep going. What would the NEXT story be? Then, write a final sentence that could be the first sentence of that next story. Might work, might not -- but I'd be curious to see what you come up with! Can you post your final sentence -- or some of your ideas for endings -- here?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/18/2008 4:56 PM PDT
Yeah, I'll help, which project?

Posted: 9/14/2008 2:31 PM PDT
What is your story about? Where is your piece? I can help you come up with an ending if I can read the beginning . . . Random ideas: 1. They lived happily ever after, until Ray died from AIDS. 2. She pulled the blanket over her head. She still loved him, but it was clear that she really could only limit herself to two sentences a day or they would never stop fighting. 3. At last, the Queen had returned. 4. They drove out into the night, the baby swaddled in a sweatshirt and buckled onto the seat cushion. 5. "Well, that's everyone," Derek said, before turning the shotgun on himself.

Posted: 9/14/2008 1:31 PM PDT
I'm having the hardest time coming up with an ending sentence for my short story. I went to 911 writers block but none of the sentences in the 'endings' category sparked any ideas. I'm just looking for random sentences that might help me if anyone has any ideas.