This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > Publication Station > How teen authors get published?
Your publishing industry superstore; discussion of current trends, helpful resources and websites, query letter tips, writing contest information, and all else related to this dynamic industry.
Posted: 7/28/2010 6:52 PM PDT
I was recommended createspace.com. Its free and you can publish on the Amazon Kindle or worldwide.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/26/2010 9:37 PM PDT
The first thing about publishing is that you have to have a polished manuscript. It sounds like a drag, but editing is really important, and most people skip over it because they don't want to do it or think that someone in the publishing world will eventually do it for them. They won't. This is a really good website about getting it ready: http://www.charlottedillon.com/ManuscriptPreparation.html. Make sure that everything is really solid. Have a teacher or someone objective look it over and offer you advice. Getting Your Book Published For Dummies is really informative and has a lot of good tips. Finding an agent is really important if you're younger, and most publishing houses aren't accepting manuscripts that aren't represented by an agent anyway. You have to send them a query, and queryshark.com is a cool place to look at edited queries and what an actual editor thinks of them. Google is a wonderful invention. Go and look for agents, publishing houses, examples of queries, and more. Google any agency or publishing house that you're looking at with the word spam after it. There are review sites where other people will mention anything suspicious. absolutewrite.com/forums is a good website for this. Go to this website because it's amazing and will help you I promise: http://www.guidetoliteraryagents.com/blog/ Oh, and publishing is really REALLY hard, so you'll get rejected a lot, but don't let it stop you.

Posted: 7/22/2010 2:10 AM PDT
I'm 13 and I've run into one scam so far but I pulled out pretty quickly. I've had a short story published in a childrens book called Something With Bite. Every time there's a writing compitition I enter in it. This can give you feedback on your writing and give you a rough idea of what your up against in the writing world. Research is a good idea. Look up which publishers and agents are scams and write a list. Keep the list close by before submitting anything. Research which companies take in the most new and unheard of authors because these can be a good place to start. Eventually you'll climb up the ladder. Get a writing tutor. They're expensive so if you can't afford it try and arrange something with your English teacher. Join a writing group. They can give great feedback and teach you new styles and techniques. Read as much as you can. You can learn a lot of different styles from other authors. Use their books as your mentores and guides. If all else fails just keep writing..

Posted: 3/8/2010 9:07 PM PST
Do it the old fashioned way. I'm in high school, but I think I know what I'm talking about... First, go check outa few books on how to get published. Then you find a list of agents that you think woudl be good for your project, and send them a query letter pitching your novel, or whatever. then only if they ask for it do you send anything else. There's no easy way to do it as a teen if you're trying to make it with the adults.

Posted: 2/25/2010 8:47 AM PST
why, actually i'm alot younger then you. I'm new to this to and have faced many scams before (luckily I found out they were scams before I gave them my money) I have had one or two publishers wanting to publish my book, but they were scam publishers. Now I'm tring to work with an agent to get this one short story i have published ^^

Posted: 2/7/2010 1:23 AM PST
My bad! It's #7. But #6 could still apply--since some of it is directed at the teens whom keep asking me to "review their first chapter".

Posted: 2/7/2010 1:20 AM PST
They don't. Check out my post on this forum (Publication Station: "Don't Steal My Idea!"--Amateur Hour at the Improv) for the answer. It's #6 on the list I submitted.

Posted: 1/6/2009 9:36 AM PST

amandab
I too really would like to be informed on the publishing world. I have written numerous poems and 2 short stories that I would like to share with the world. Please message me with any information, it would be immensely helpful and useful.

Posted: 12/29/2008 11:04 AM PST

Cortne
I would love to know any info. on agents, sending in, editors all of it. Im sixteen and would love to know how to send in a novel for publication? Im new to this, not to writing, but to finishing a novel and wanting others to hear this story. The story is also called Outloud, and im posting up the rest of the chapters. If you could help, message me! thank you!