This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 1/23/2009 7:02 PM PST
I know exactly what you mean! I have the same problem. What i do, if it's warm out or not, I go outside and just walk or ride around. I think getting fresh air helps me think up ideas. Make sure to take a notebook with you to jot down any random thoughts. And i mean anything that pops into your head. Be creative!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/14/2009 12:41 AM PST

Satyr
Most of the advice from writers of the past is to discipline yourself to write for two or three hours a day, whether or not you feel inspired. This is probably good advice but I find it impossible to keep to, although I have tried. I find that there is always something to do around the farm, or an animal that needs caring for,or a book I want to read, or an interesting question on the forum to answer:). When you say your third novel you do not state whether or not a publisher has already paid you and you have a deadline to meet? I find deadlines actually stimulate me wonderfully, although I hate the pressure and feel washed out at the end. However, if there is no deadline then you need to beware because if you leave your current work and go off to do something else it may never be finished, this is what happened to everything I started during the summer vacation and did not finish before the new term started. I think that your best chance is to do as D_J suggested and just write anything, you will probably find the story takes over and finishes itself. What you mustn't do is start something new; a new love affair, a new poem, a new novel, a trip abroad should all be left until you have finished, however much it hurts. I have noticed that the successful amongst my friends are those with tunnel vision and slightly compulsive personalities. This conflicts with the observation that most of the creative people I have met are inclined towards being bipolar, and it is difficult to write if the swings are too extreme.

Posted: 1/13/2009 1:42 AM PST
Write anything. Start simply by describing a place, object or person. Then ask the logical questions. Why is it wherever it is? What is it doing? What else is near it? What happens next? What could happen next? After a while one thought flows to another and you've written a page and that leads to another. You may to delete half of it but it gets you started and it is much easier to edit rubbish then to create an entirely new document.

Posted: 1/11/2009 4:50 PM PST
Do something extraordinary. I mean what have you got to lose? You're not writing now and staring at an empty screen is sure death by panic if you are facing a deadline. But what is extraordinary? Try writing something that does not matter, say complete nosense. IE: Apples are red! I like spice. Catipilars are wierd. Strings are funny. My mom is green. The room smells funny. Playing is good. If you are able to do this then the problem is not writing but what you are writing it is content and you need inspiration for your story or you need ideas and should ask specific questions about that. Without some details I can only give the folowing advice. Write one word then write another that goes with it. The rest will follow if you let them. When you have enough words to make one line add a line and another until you have a paragraph then another para until you have a page repeat 200 times or as needed. Good luck.

Posted: 1/11/2009 2:13 PM PST
Right now i have a serious problem. I have a deadline to finish my third novel and i still have about two hundred pages left to write and every time i sit down to stare at the screen i just can't write. Any body have a suggestion to getting the inspiration to flow?