This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > The Writing Challenges > Send us your ideas for new writing challenges!
A place to post your ideas for new writing challenges, and thoughts on the current challenge.
Posted: 2/20/2017 10:40 AM PST
For a writer content is just not a plain written text but is a result of his/her constant research experience and feelings. Every writer deserves to have the best platform where he could explore his talent and reach new heights and boundaries. A platform which will pay him the right pay he wishes for and a platform where he could show his best potential to get the best exposure. Like Webook there are many writing platforms of which one is contentmart.com It allows you to interact and communicate with clients in search of freelance writers all over the world. All you need to do is make your profile attractive, update your portfolio with your best work and bid on the orders of your choice. The interested clients will communicate with you and will award you the respective order if you are found capable by them. It is thus an easy way to get associated, to get the right exposure and to explore the talent in the right way. So, post all your idioms and phrases in your portfolio make your profile attractive and start bidding to take a step towards your dream project. A good writer deserves a good platform which is contentmart.com
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/31/2011 11:13 PM PDT
Or an idiom. Idioms are better, actually.

Posted: 7/31/2011 11:13 PM PDT
Or an idiom. Idioms are better, actually.

Posted: 7/31/2011 11:09 PM PDT
Maybe we can write a short 300 word selection based around a metaphor? Just working around a play on words is not only fun but challenging.

Posted: 6/2/2011 4:22 PM PDT
Tell a story from the point of view of an inanimate object. I like this idea because I've been working on a series I'm starting from the POV of wolves. And the most tricky thing I found about it was the fact that I can't use any dialogue. I didn't want the wolves to talk because I didn't want it to sound childish or wierd, so there was no dialogue in the entire story. It was hard because I like dialogue so much, and while I've grown not to miss it so much when writing the book, it's still strange to get used to. If you're writing from the POV of an object that usually shouldn't even be alive, I think it could be an interesting experience, because I for one am not used to doing something like that. It could be any kind of story, as long as it's first person from some object--a box, a toothbrush, a piece of pizza, I really don't think it matters. 400 word limit or something like that.

Posted: 4/27/2011 9:01 PM PDT
Or...writing a story from a dead person POV...that would be neat!

Posted: 4/27/2011 9:01 PM PDT
I say have a challenge where the writer chooses an animal, and has to write a small story about that animal, on the selected topic. Just to get the writer into a different mind set, and writing about other things rather than humans.

Posted: 4/23/2011 8:46 AM PDT
How about creating a scene that results in confusion using homonyms and homophones? Example : One person is talking about a bear while the other person thinks that they are talking about wanting to be bare (naked). A silly example maybe, but you see what I mean.

Posted: 11/25/2010 5:54 PM PST
[url=http://undercabinettvsite.com/]under cabinet TV[/url] [url=http://undercabinettvsite.com/audiovox-under-cabinet-tv/]audiovox under cabinet tv[/url]

Posted: 11/9/2010 3:57 AM PST
but that could go from 1000 words to a size of an e book

Posted: 10/24/2010 7:05 AM PDT
Historical Fiction. This is the type of idea that would force us to write something marketable. Magazines are always looking for pieces with a historical bent. I actually sold a story that started from a WeBook prompt from bennyboi that involved history. I'd love to write something else that could be sold! Thanks!

Posted: 10/16/2010 11:12 PM PDT
I like the Idea of writing from the antagonists POV! I think it would be fun to explore what's going on in the bad guy's head. I think I will do this one even if it's not put up as a Challenge! Here are a few other Ideas Describe a place without people. Write a short scene where the MC discovers that Humanity is sharing the Earth with something other than plants and Animals. It could be anything from Extraterrestrials to Angels. "Man in critical condition after Elephant attacks in Mall" Everyone starts with the same news paper headline and writes an article to go with it. (This isn't actually my Idea! It was one I heard from my friend Purity Holmes. I really liked it and thought I should add it.)

Posted: 10/15/2010 3:32 PM PDT
A New Perspective Write from the perspective of something that isn't even alive I Agree Have writers tell a humorous story where the only thing a charechter can say is "I agree" adn maybe they have to say it? Diary Write a diary entry from a charechter after death Just some random ideas.

Posted: 10/14/2010 9:05 AM PDT
How about an unspoken agreement? Write about two characters that come to an unspoken understanding or agreement. There can be dialogue, but just not about the "agreement."

Posted: 10/13/2010 9:20 AM PDT
Here are my random ideas : ) *** "Double standard" Basically the character needs to be living opposite lives, this could mean anything. The word limit is 200-300. *** "Invisibility" The character has to describe what they would do if they were invisible for a whole 24 hours XD *** "Role reverse" The character has to have a conversation with you, the writer. (please expand on this idea :] ) *** "Spoof" Write a short script/play/story about what would happen in a spoof of one of your fav film or book : ) (Please state what film/book you are spoofing though) Thanks. ^^ Those are my ideas : ) I hope they help =]

Posted: 9/1/2010 8:03 PM PDT
Okay I truly believe the word count should go up to 500. 500 is very short to me for a short piece for a challenge. What do I think should be the next idea? Write something based on mythical creatures or things that are said to be real. Such as vampires, fallen angels, were-wolfs, ghouls, demons...all the supernatural beings. Those are the only things they can use. Show the world that not all creatures are evil and if they are then why? But don't make the short story such a cliche. Be original in the idea of the piece. What is so good about these creatures or even what was so good about these creatures and what made them change. Why are they good or evil now? What made them into the person they are in the present. You can show this by making a scene that either portrays their evil ways or good ways. I love to write about supernatural and mythical creatures. Writing about a character that is more than just a human or not a human at all is just great. To be someone through your writing, or to be the person you always wanted to be through your writing is what I like and love most. With that said, give this idea some thought. It can be soo broad. The idea of this can range from many things, but go along with the aspects of the originality I want all to create. wiff lots of luv, brya<3

Posted: 8/30/2010 11:11 PM PDT
Or excuses made as how to leave theirs.

Posted: 8/30/2010 11:09 PM PDT
Excuses, or ways to get rid of a one night stand, after the deed and before they fall asleep in your bed.

Posted: 8/30/2010 9:50 PM PDT

AubrieAnne
I like Mass Daddy's #4 about your character winning the lottery. I see lots of interesting possibilities :)

Posted: 8/30/2010 12:14 PM PDT
1) Nursery Rhyme Epilogues - Take a nursery rhyme and write a 200-word epilogue for it. 2) Fairy Tale Excerpts - Take a classic fairy tale and expand upon one scene in 200 words. 3) Additional Content - Add a scene or interaction that you feel should have been in your favorite (or most hated) movie or book. 4) Hitting The Big One - Document the first thng that you or a fictional character does after winning the lottery. 5) The Grind - Write a scene involving a day at the office.

Posted: 8/29/2010 12:38 AM PDT
Ahh this is fun/cool/fun/interesting! And fun! :) Some good ideas in here. Particularly liked SP's picture prompt, Dnall's classifieds, Vendetta's failure scene, Maggie's #1, and Aubrie's untitled. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking: - "The Brawl." Bruise, batter, and berate your characters to your wicked little heart's desire. Short scene that takes place amidst a fight. Anything from an innocuous, light-hearted lovers' quarrel to a bloody-your-knuckles battle royale. - "The Hat Trick." Give three unrelated parameters and leave the rest up to the writer e.g. write a 200 word scene that incorporates a dog barking, the color red, and the phrase "It appears we've run out of options." Haha. Or something. - There's a reason that the underlying root of the word "mortification" means death. Write a scene in which your character is monumentally embarrassed. As an added bonus, reading and reviewing these guys will give us a wonderful chance to revel in our schadenfreude. - "The 'MacGuffin.'" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin. A plot device made famous by one Alfred Hitchcock. Choose a mysterious item to centralize and drive forward a short scene. On second thought, this might be hard to adapt for a challenge, but man do I ever love the movie The 39 Steps. - Umm something seasonal might be cool? Some sort of autumnal challenge? Or maybe Halloween as it draws closer? - Limericks. Anything that has anything to do with limericks only ever yields awesome results. Maybe it could be a mini-challenge? If I ask nicely? Pleeeeaaaaassseeee? Anyway, thanks for running the challenges in the first place, webook. They are a lark and very much enjoyed! And useful!

Posted: 8/28/2010 9:16 PM PDT

AubrieAnne
Oh, I also liked VendettaDean’s bad guy scene A LOT! I love writing in the POV of my villains. I also like the cencept of Maggie's #1 suggestion. I think, as is, it could be very difficult, but maybe with the addition of a prompt, it could be a stellar challenge.

Posted: 8/28/2010 9:10 PM PDT

AubrieAnne
I've got tons of ideas, but here's a few... 1) Lists List 10 very random things and ask each contestant to write a piece of flash fiction or a poem that uses everything on the list. I recently participated in a challenge with the same concept and it work out brilliantly! 2) A Picture is Worth 1,000 words Write a short story of poem that is based off of a picture. The picture would ahve to be posted with the piece though. 3) I Wonder... This exercise is meant to be a short prompt (100-500 words). Basically what happens is that everyone begins their piece with "I wonder" and then continues with the piece. The pieces usually turn out quite unique and often very clever because people can ponder anything from "I wonder why the sky is blue" to "I wonder if the next store neighbor has ever seen me naked?" or "I wonder if fairies truely do exist." Remember, these do not need to be personal wonderments, they can be completely made up as long as what follows makes sense. 4) Untitled We give the contestants an ambiguous title and they interpret it any way they want (in a poem, or story). Examples of possible titles are "The Things I've loved but Lost," "Where has the Time Gone?" "I was Walking Down the Street and Thinking of You," or "What to do With my Life Now!" We could possibly offer more than one as well just to add a bit of variety, although it would be interesting to have just one and see what people came up with. 5) It Can't Get Any Worse Create a story in which someone is having a bad day, and they say today couldn't possibly get any worse. Then, make their day worse. Highlight on either the terrible things that happen or the way they overcome them. 6) "Wake Up!" Many stories seem to end with someone waking up and realizing everything they had just experienced was all a dream. However, what happens once you are awake? Write a piece where you (or your character) has just woken up from a dream/ daydream/ nightmare and detail what happens to them afterwards. How do they feel? Did anyone notice? Did they scream or start crying or were smiling? PS> It may help to detail some of what they experienced in the dream as well. 7) Exposing History Envision an important event in history. Try and write as if you were a witness to the event. 8) If I Only Knew Then Start a story now in which you reflect upon some event in your life and how it would have been different if you had the insight you have now. Hope these help!!! I look forward to a very challenging competition in the near future!

Posted: 8/28/2010 4:52 PM PDT
SP’s past life idea sounds like a lot of fun. If it doesn’t get picked, I might have to do that on my own. I also like VendettaDean’s bad guy scene and CT’s interruption scene. Suggestions One and Three from MaggieMaCabre would definitely be interesting! With all of these great ideas, the next challenge ought to be enticing. Looking forward to it.

Posted: 8/27/2010 7:26 PM PDT
1. Subs about anything at all where the writer can't use the words 'the' 'was' 'were' or 'it'. 2. A 200 word story about something old being reinvented. 3. A conversation between various pieces of furniture in a room (from the furniture's pov). 4. A space journey. 5. Invent a brand new, never seen before, alien creature. 6. A 200 word prison story. I could go on.

Posted: 8/27/2010 6:55 PM PDT
Hi, how about a 200 word comedy scene, where the character/s have done something that backfires on them?

Posted: 8/26/2010 11:07 PM PDT
Oh, I had another one... Write your own fairytale. Take the classic fairytale elements and create your own. 500 word max

Posted: 8/26/2010 7:46 PM PDT
The First Day of School Challenge: Write a scene with no more than 200 words about the first day of school. It can be the first day of any grade (even through college), but it has to be about the first day of that school year. It can be current, or reminiscent, but not premeditate (no stories about "I can't wait for the first day of school..." etc). The Last Day of School Challenge: Write a scene with no more than 200 words about the last day of school. It can be the last day of school until next year, or graduation, current or a memory, but no scenes are to take place before the last day of school.

Posted: 8/26/2010 7:24 PM PDT
... or your boss walking in while you are trying to post your entry... Use your imagination and have fun with it. :)

Posted: 8/26/2010 6:52 PM PDT
The Interruption Scene: Write a scene of no more than 200 words where someone/something is interrupted by someone/something else. It could be as simple as a person interrupting a train of thought or someone’s cell phone interrupting a movie; or as complex as someone interrupting a wedding when the rabbi says, “…speak now, or forever hold your peace”. It could be an electric jolt interrupting the beat of a heart, or a Presidential address interrupting your show.

Posted: 8/26/2010 5:15 PM PDT
Emotional crying scene! The writer has to write a 200 word max. story of someone crying. It could be they are crying because of laughing so hard, or something happened that was actually sad. It would help people to start writing with more emotions!

Posted: 8/25/2010 10:43 PM PDT
Okay, I have a few ideas. 1. The writer’s scene. Create a scene in which someone is writing, (note: not what they are writing) It could be thought process. It could be describing the act of writing. It could even be someone scribbling down a quick note like a grocery list. 2. The bad guy’s scene. Create a scene from the point of view of the villain, the antagonist. Who are they? Why are they bad? How bad are they? 3. The failure scene. Write a scene in which someone fails. It could be as big or as small a failure as you wanna make it. The main character could get a bad grade on a test or they could fail to save a life. 4. The surroundings. Describe what is all around the main character in their words. (us the senses: sound, sight, smell, touch, taste) Remember that the way the character describes their surroundings will tell the reader a little about the character. I’ve got more but these are my favorite.

Posted: 8/24/2010 1:35 PM PDT
I really like the travelling Idea & the fear Idea :D Also the animal idea is a very nice one as well :) I really hope more of theses sugesstions get used in the future :) x

Posted: 8/24/2010 5:27 AM PDT
Selling, Wanted, and Free for the Taking Create a list of classifieds for a newspaper that tells a story. They can be under any category, personals, apartments, cars, etc. Connect them in a meaningful way for the reader to interpret, kind of like the Pina Colada song but not as cheesy and repetitive. Remember, classifieds have a word limit approx. 25-35, so they're meant to sound choppy and brief. Feel free to spend $0.15 for every extra word.

Posted: 8/23/2010 6:14 PM PDT
Thanks Bnaslund! That idea just popped out, now I have to think up something for it *hrmph Suggestions for Next Writing Challenge: (I don't know if this had been suggested before) The "Fear" Challenge: Describe a short scene (150-200 words) where a character faces his/her fears or worst nightmares and how he/she reacts to it. It can be non-fictional/fictional, and it can also vary in tone and perspective. For instance it can be a comic piece (funny fear: as ironic as that sounds) about a adult's worst nightmare of watching Barney with a bunch of kids, or a profound piece about a mystic facing his/her inner demons on the road to enlightenment. Hope this helps! I will drop by when another idea pops into my head.

Posted: 8/23/2010 5:54 PM PDT
Yeah I like the picture idea SP!

Posted: 8/23/2010 11:49 AM PDT
Hmmm... I got the idea of maybe a person reading a letter that their grandparent wrote for them (it can be about their life, or the child's parents, etc). The length can't be no more than 250 words. not sure, just kinda putting that out there :}

Posted: 8/21/2010 8:53 PM PDT
Howzabout having the narrator describe a dream? This could lead to some bizarre imagery as well as unleash hidden desires (AND, perhaps, be psychologically telling!) It provides scope for a wide variety of subject matter. @Nicole, we had an injury challenge quite recently - I guess before you became a member - which covered what you are suggesting.

Posted: 8/20/2010 9:36 PM PDT
This is a better idea than my last one, and it's easier. It's pain. I guess it could be like actually hurting yourself like breaking a bone or getting hit by a ball, ect. Or any other kind of pain anybody wants to use, as long as it's between 150 and 200 words!! I think this one would help people learn how to I guess make the reader "feel" the pain too! Well I hope you do this one!! <3 Nicole

Posted: 8/20/2010 5:15 PM PDT
I like the travel one. Here's my suggestion. Post three pictures, an old shoe perhaps, a sailing ship ... a quill maybe. The idea being for the pic to evoke a memory from a past life. Having three or more, would allow the subs to vary greatly, and I think would challenge everyone to transport themselves and the reader to another era as well as allowing them to have free range in topic - which would make for some unpredictable reading and showcase a wide range of imagination. Failing that, have the writer upload a picture of their choice at the top of the sub with the story underneath pertaining to it.

Posted: 8/20/2010 11:07 AM PDT
Suggestion: Travel Scenario Challenege: This would be either a fictional or non-fictional short piece (150-200 words), where one would relate a scenario that could occur while traveling. It could vary from horrific to funny travel experiences, from beautiful descriptions of exotic lands to a thrilling first person view of a hijacking in progress.

Posted: 8/20/2010 9:36 AM PDT
I think saying goodbye, an emotional one so the readers can feel the characters sadness and pain. <3 Nicole

Posted: 8/20/2010 9:29 AM PDT
I really like your Fairy Tale idea, but rather than re-write a section I think it would be a good idea for participants to write a 200 word summary of a modern Fairy Tale. One of my ideas is that WEbookers could write a 200 word chapter from the perspective of an animal. A really narrative challenge, but i think that it would be such a challenge for people to put themselves into a really primal position and invoke their inner animal so to speak. Plus i'm really curious to see what people come up with.

Posted: 8/20/2010 8:18 AM PDT
Umm I have some ideas, but this is the first ones that came to mind, Its not that great but its just a rough Idea :) Okay I was thinking that each participant in the challenge would have to write a 100-200 word diary entry, about a life changing event that they have experienced. They could make it sound like a time capsule for someone in the future to read? The other idea is that each participant would have to write about a experience when they cheated death once again as the rules state it can only be 100-200 words long :) Okay and my final Idea is that each participant have to re write a small section (100-200) words of a popular fairy tale, it has to have a twist on it from the original but the rest can be totally up to the writer :) They are my few ideas so far, I know they aren't very good but Its a start :)

Posted: 8/20/2010 7:56 AM PDT
Do you have an idea for a writing challenge we can run? We'd love to hear it if you do! Just a few things to keep in mind as you brainstorm: responses to the challenge should be short (100-200 words) and they should help authors focus on a specific part of their writing.