This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > Publication Station > They want to see my full manuscript but...
Your publishing industry superstore; discussion of current trends, helpful resources and websites, query letter tips, writing contest information, and all else related to this dynamic industry.
Posted: 7/22/2010 1:54 AM PDT
I got into a little bit of trouble with a publisher that wanted me to pay to have my book published. The original amount was something like $2000. I told them I couldn't pay that and the then lowered it to $500. I tried to explain to them that I'm thirteen and jobless and that I can't pay that amount of money. I guess it seems like nothing to a lot of you guys but to a thirteen year old kid that's a lot. Even after that they continued to send me emails. It was a long time before I could get them to stop sending me emails. It wasn't the same company that did this to me as the one that did it to you guys. They call themselves subsidy publishers which basically means you have to do all the work and pay for it. They might as well be self publishers. Any way there's no legal action you can take against them because they just say it's in the fine print. So I guess all you can do is avoid them.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/13/2010 5:10 PM PDT
I also had a book published with A-Argus last year and have yet to receive any royalites. I read the letter here with interest - it is the same letter I got a year and a half ago except now he has raised his fees. The fee used to be 1500 dollars which I refused and then his next offer was tp pay him 700 doallrs which I accepted. I must admit it was a good feeling to get my book out - but is this some kind of joke? He wants people to pay him to publsih the book, then work hard to sell them and you get nothing. Several writers on A-Argus are very pissed off about this -- any ideas? Ravendog

Posted: 6/24/2010 1:46 PM PDT
Hello. My book was published last year with A-Argus and what a raw deal that has turned out to be! Check this link out. Mr. Connor is crooked. This is a case that was filed against him. #457: 09-06-05 FEDERAL COURT BARS NORTH CAROLINA MAN FROM PREPARING TAX RETURNS FOR OTHERS www.justice.gov WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Justice Department announced today that a North Carolina federal court has barred William Jackson Connor, Jr., of Kernersville, North Carolina, from preparing tax returns for others. In entering the permanent injunction order, Judge James A. Beaty, Jr. of the U.S. District C... Do not do business with A-Argus. This is a scam publisher who claims to be a traditional publisher and is not. I haven't been paid a penny since publishing my book and he doesn't even return my emails! Stay away from them!

Posted: 6/21/2010 10:25 PM PDT
Seems sadly typical, today. It cost nothing to publish on Smashword. Nothing to get on Kindle. Zero to get an ISBN number through Lulu. $35 to get one through CreateSpace (OWNED by Amazon). If you feel you need a pro to edit it, CreateSpace and Lulu can hook you up (it'll cost you, though. Not free) $35 to copyright a book.It's easy, and you can do it over the internet in just a few minutes. If you're considering dropping $1,500, get it edited (or just a few chapters to 'see what to look for') and self publish. Lots of people are doing that today, and it's no longer the taboo it was even three years ago. Ironically, your chances of becoming a best seller don't change that much whether you self publish or sign with a small publisher (Getting signed by Penguin is a different story, but 95% of the smaller publishers are not as much help at selling books as you would think) Baen and DAW (big in SciFi) still cut signing advances to new writers they fish from the slush. Reading books is hard, difficult, and thankless. Most publishers do it poorly and soon find themselves writing letters like what you recieved, often just a few years before folding up. It's said that "publishers reject 99% of all submissions", which is designed to make authors feel like they are the problem (most publishers like Argus blame authors for their business problems) But most best sellers by first time authors (Harry Potter included) are ALSO rejected over 90% of the time, proving that 90% of publishers don't know what a best seller looks like, even when they read it.... More and more authors are using mid-level publishers as practice to help them refine their pitches/querries and tighten their chapters. Get a fake Gmail account. Submit using different titles, querries, 'names' etc. Send it to dozens at a time. Use their responses to 'fix' your querry, practice on the marginal publishers like Argus so that when you submit to the Random Houses, you're using your A game. Good luck!

Posted: 6/21/2010 8:28 AM PDT
I just received the exact same encouraging form letter, worded the exact same way. I was browsing google to see who Argus International was when I cam across your blog. This company seems to prey on new writers like us who are anxious to be published. I believe they are only a vanity press. I'm going to ignore their response to my query. They sound fishy to me. Please let me know if you proceeded and what your experience with them has been. Thanks. Randi

Posted: 4/18/2010 7:26 PM PDT
Run quickly . . . this is a vanity press scam. They will print anything for anyone who is willing to pay for it.

Posted: 11/22/2009 8:54 PM PST
Run.

Posted: 11/3/2009 8:40 PM PST
I just did a bit of checking. While actual bookstores have seen a bit of a decrease in sales (3% or less) Amazon.com saw a 16% increase in 2008 over 2007. July and August of this year have seen an increase in sales over last year. People are still buying books.

Posted: 11/3/2009 8:33 PM PST
If it were me, I would stay away. Anytime I see a publisher who wants you to pay them for publishing your book, I automatically think scam. The fact that they have such a goofy multi-tired contracting system and that the letter is so long, my guess is they are trying to overwhelm you with information.

Posted: 11/2/2009 12:00 PM PST
I like them and it makes sense because ppl aren't buying books but I don't know If they are legit. this was e-mail and press release they sent me... Ms. Smith, I have personally enjoyed reading your submission of Saving Eden and find that both your storyline and your characters have potential. Unfortunately, as you will have learned from the Wall Street Journal and other media sources, the world-wide deteriorating market conditions have forced virtually every publisher to make unwanted and unwelcome changes, if they wish to remain a viable publishing company. The same is true for Argus Enterprises and each of its imprints. Please read the attached press release, and then if you wish to proceed, submit your complete manuscript by email attachment, using MS Word. Or, if you choose to use regular mail, forward the manuscript on a floppy or cd or flash drive to Argus Enterprises International, Inc. 9001 Ridge Hill Street, Kernersville, NC 27284. We require 45 to 60 days for review. PRESS RELEASE March 31, 2009 ARGUS ENTERPRISES INTERNATIONAL, INC. IMPRINTS: A BETTER BE WRITE PUBLISHING, LLC. A-ARGUS BETTER BOOK PUBLISHERS, LLC NIGHT-TIME BOOKS, LLC A Better Be Write Publishing, LLC (ABBW) and its sister imprint A-Argus Better Book Publishers, LLC have long been traditional mainstream publishers. However, faced with a deteriorating economy, rising costs and declining book sales across the nation, the staff at Argus Enterprises International, Inc. had to make a most difficult decision. Our dilemma? The cost of publishing a book is increasingly expensive even as the number of readers decline. The submitted manuscript must be professionally edited and then formatted. An exclusive front and rear cover must be designed. An ISBN number must be obtained for the book and the book must be copywrited in the author’s name. The book must then be printed. Even in small quantities (less than 5,000) the cost is expensive and quite a gamble on the part of the publisher. Additionally, there are hundreds of thousands of new manuscripts offered by new and existing authors every year, and every year there are fewer and fewer publishers. Our options? Option # 1: Should we continue to accept submissions from new and eager authors, knowing that there would be less than one in one thousand manuscripts that we could actually accept for consideration, and then knowing that we would only make an offer to publish perhaps one in one thousand of the ones we did consider? Or, Option # 2: Reject all new authors and accept only manuscripts from those successful authors who had written books that have sold well? Or Option # 3: Should we make a change in operations, as have many other publishers? Option # 4: Should we sell out and get out; or simply close our doors as has more than thirty-three percent of all publishers? For an antagonizing period of time, we discussed suspending submissions entirely and work only with our current in-house authors, yet we are aware there are hundreds of thousands of authors who want and are eager to have their work read by a publisher. And, we know there are fewer and fewer publishers who will accept first-time authors. We considered that there are many new authors who are willing to invest in their own book. We discussed the one in one hundred thousand odds of a book being published and released for public sale. We considered that only one book in every ten thousand published actually becomes profitable. We also considered that only one book in every three hundred thousand published actually becomes a best seller. We considered charging the authors a reading fee for working with their manuscripts to try to develop one that could be published, if not by us, then by another publisher. Frankly, in every instance with new authors, there is considerable work that has to be done. We also took into consideration the fact that old authors die and new authors must replace them, and perhaps, just perhaps, a new John Grisham or Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancy or Stephen King or Roberta Gellis could be just around the corner. We are reluctant to turn anyone away, because that reject may just be the next star. Finally, we reached a decision that we feel will enable us to publish the maximum number of titles for new authors as well as our existing authors. The following is our decision. A Better Be Write Publishing, LLC, and A-Argus Better Book Publishers, LLC will continue to accept queries submitted in accordance with the policy stated on abetterbewrite.com and a-argusbooks.com web sites. The query letter and the accompanying information will be read by one or more of our editors and a decision will be made. The new author will be notified of one of the following: Notification # 1 The submission as made is not acceptable. The author will be notified of the reason for the rejection. Notification # 2 If an editor decides to request the full manuscript, the editor will contact the writer and have the complete manuscript forwarded. Once the manuscript has been received, no less than three editors will read the manuscript and recommend which offer, if any, to present to the author. The offer will be one of the following: 1) Offer A---Argus Enterprises International, Inc. will offer the author a contract for publication. Under this offer, Argus Enterprises International, Inc. will absorb all of the costs of editing, formatting, design, obtaining ISBN and copy write, printing and issuance of the manuscript. There will be no investment required of the author. 2) Offer B---Argus Enterprises International, Inc. will offer the author a contract for publication. The contract will require an investment by the author. Under the terms of the contract, the company will obtain an ISBN number for the title, obtain a copy write in the author’s name, professionally edit and format the manuscript, design an exclusive custom front and rear cover, provide a proof copy for the author to approve, cause the manuscript to be printed, and provide ten complimentary copies of the completed title to the author. Author will receive 60% discount on any additional copies. The title will be listed for sale through Ingram Book Distributors (the largest distributor in the United States and England) and through Baker & Taylor, the second largest distributor. The book will be listed on Amazon.com, barnesandnoble.com, borders.com, Target.com, booksamillion.com and other internet sites, and will be available to order from any bookstore. The investment required of the author under Offer B is One thousand Eight hundred and eighty-five dollars ($1,885.00), to be paid upon the acceptance of the contract, unless different payment terms are negotiated. In the event the books sells in the excess of one thousand five hundred copies (1,500), the full investment will be returned to the author. In the event that the author submits a second manuscript that is accepted for publishing, there will be no investment required. The second manuscript will be guaranteed acceptable provided the writing is of the same quality as the first manuscript. 3) Offer C---Identical to Offer B except that the amount of investment required of the author may be reduced if, in the opinion of the editors, the manuscript is exceptional. 4) Or, there will be no offer tendered. If the author wishes to hire professionals to polish the manuscript, he or she may resubmit the manuscript for reconsideration. As an addendum to the press release: Jan 8, 2009 Note: DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY with either the query or the manuscript. There is no reading charge. Nor is any investment required of the author unless and until the editors at A Better Be Write Publishing, LLC or A-Argus Better Book Publishers have determined the acceptability of the manuscript. William J. Connor, Jr. Managing Director Argus Enterprises International, Inc. This is what a search found for me Business Categories Business services, nec in Kernersville, NC Business Services, All Other Business Support Services Argus Enterprises International Inc Business Information Claim This Profile Argus Enterprises International Inc is a private company categorized under Business Services (Unclassified) and located in Kernersville, NC. Our records show it was established in 2007 and incorporated in North Carolina. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $55,000 and employs a staff of approximately 1. One staff... hummm.... But I actually found out about them from an actual person that I met over facebook, i think maybe in this group. No I think I met her in a twilight fan group haha. She said they were a small publishing company but a traditional one. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=106481053835 http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=88093252688 thats her... and IDK...