This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/13/2009 3:16 AM PDT
I actually was thinking about that idea Ihleece (the part about reviewing being mandatory to submit something) Well I am involved with another writing site and I have a few ideas that came from there. I already told you about my Feedback Chain idea, and I tried it out in the 'Introduce Your Story' thread but it got lost in a sea of desperate authors. To me that thread almost seems pointless. Now I do think that the WeBook Golden Rule can get you feedback, but a lot of people realize that other people don't follow that rule and so they don't want to waste their time. (I know because I'm guilty of that) And as for the list idea, we had a group like that on my other site. It was called a Review Team A group of Reviewers that chooses a story and reviews it, but it would be one that was new, or didn't have a lot of reviews. Therefore, making the author's day. That's all I have to say now
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/8/2009 3:25 AM PDT
I have my story posted on two websites, this one and another...I've found that the policy on the other site works well, though I don't know how you would make it work on here... If you submit a peice of work for feedback, you have to give a decent review of other people's work first. Say, you submit one peice, you then have to review another persons work before yours is accepted to be reviewed....as said I'm not sure how it would work here, but it certianly made people review others work, as they wanted the reviews for themselves... You can also simply post your work and wait and see if you get any reviews, much like on here, but your work is more widely viewed in the compulsory reviews. Anywho...I like the list idea, I've thought the same myself, it would be handy to know who's work we can review and be likely to get a decent review back ourselves...

Posted: 8/26/2009 10:29 AM PDT
I have a suggestion to encourage people to give better feedback. I don't know if it's easily done to do waht I'm thinking but you might want to consider it. A lot of people tend to stumble upon stories through the "you might like" banner. I suggest that when a person gives more good feedback, their stories appear more often on the banner. So if their reviews are more lengthy, their chances of their own stories appearing on the banner increase. That way, people who want feedback on their own stories will have to be the ones who are willing to take time to read as well. I don't know if you've done this already, or if it's actually possible. But I think it's a good idea worth thinking about.

Posted: 6/5/2009 3:02 AM PDT

TsungChi
Thanks to all for some great ideas so far. Very soon we will be rolling out some new feedback features that should address much of what is being discussed here. Keep an eye out for them.....and keep adding your ideas here. We are listening. William

Posted: 5/28/2009 2:44 AM PDT
I don't disagree with Sig87 Have you work look over and a proper responce other then 'I like it' can give serious encouragement however - I think we need to sector out the critics I have come across several critics who read my story and say ' I like the content but you have some grammer and spelling issues' - Well I think I am fully aware of that What I look for when I read someones work I look for the storyline - their attention to detail - that to me is what is important - not that I put an 'it' when it should have been an 'is' I think we need to know that when we approch someone and ask them to read our work - we need to know what they will be critical on - if I want help on Grammer and Spelling (outside of Word Check) then I will want to look for a Critic on those strengths - Like wise if I'm struggling on a story and could use ideas to expand - then I would want a completely different type of critic just a thought Regards Raz

Posted: 5/26/2009 3:12 PM PDT
I agree with ZanneP. I give out feedback all the time just because I'm a nice person like that, and I rarely ever get anything back other than a 'good job'. Those compliment things make it harder for me as a writer, because people do snub off my story if I don't give them a rating. And, half of the time the feedback is so poor that I don't bother chosing because it wouldn't fit into any category anyway. When I edit I tell them upfront that I am very critical, but that they don't have to accept my opinions. Trouble is, I'm usually good with grammar and it urks me when people completely ignore things like sentance fragments. I point them out, and I am ignored. It makes me wonder how any of these people are going to be professional writers if they can't accept that they make simple mistakes. Then again, I guess this is just another fanfiction site to some of them... Top reviewer is totally meaningless. I send emails every day of stories I have copied into Word and edited (it's easier to edit as I go) and I get absolutely no credit. It doesn't bother me, but I do agree with the words above. Those of us who really work hard to help others get snubbed while those people who give the meaningless 'good job' feedback move to the front. (And, not to be cocky about it, but I know it's good or I wouldn't have posted it. I don't need sixty people to tell me it's good. I need a few peole to tell me how to make it better.) Webook also needs to find ways to narrow down the search categories. If I want to find a story about a certain topic I have to literally search through hundreds of pages of stories I don't want to find one that I do want. I don't have that kind of time. That would really help me pick who I'd like to feedback. ;)

Posted: 5/25/2009 4:54 AM PDT

ZanneP
Thanks WordShaker! I perhaps should have added before though that not everyone feels able to provide in depth feedback and do only give positive praise. This may be for a variety of reasons: they don’t know how to critique a piece of writing; they feel uncomfortable criticising because of a belief that to be creative people need to be encouraged; they want to be 'praised positively' back; they might genuinely like the book in question and see nothing that can be improved; or a million other reasons. The other thing is that some people prefer to deliver their ‘constructive’ criticism by way of a private message rather than by pointing out areas for improvement in a public place. I know I do this on a regular basis. What I’m getting at is that there may be more constructive criticism going on than meets the eye.

Posted: 5/23/2009 12:33 AM PDT
This is a really good idea, ZanneP and I agree.

Posted: 5/22/2009 2:25 PM PDT

ZanneP
****We know it's a huge part of what goes on here at WEbook and we want to promote quality, in-depth feedback as much as possible. We are thinking about/working on a range of new features for how to do this......and we would like to hear any inside or outside the box ideas you guys have for encouraging feedback.**** At the moment, there is no incentive for people to give ‘quality, in-depth feedback’. Those who do their best to review in this way risk being ignored, censured or are ‘requested’ to not leave any more feedback. I realise not everyone employs tact when pointing out ‘errors’ but it is discouraging when you have spent the best part of half an hour or so on just one chapter, going through it and pointing out where the flow stalls or making editorial suggestions, only to find the writer does nothing about them. Nobody expects everything recommended to be acted upon; however, many things – such as spelling/grammar mistakes, needless repetition or an over-abundance of passive style – are easily rectified and as a matter of courtesy should be remedied. Unfortunately, I have no idea how webook can change this prevailing attitude. Also, the compliment badges are probably not being used in the way webook intended. There is a tendency to hand them out without any regard to what they might mean. This is possibly for two reasons. First, when these badges were introduced, webook gave no guidelines to assist in how to award them. People remain confused as to what they really mean, or they don’t particularly care about being accurate. Second, many people only want the bright, shiny sun to say they are brilliant. I’ve heard of people messaging those they’ve reviewed when they haven’t received it to ask why not – ridiculous, but apparently true. Some people think they are being ranked from brilliant to unique, ie the equivalent say of labelling it a 5* to 1* review. I’ve heard rumours of people who do not return to review if they are given a ‘unique’. Again, I’m not sure what webook can do. There is something webook can do though, and it concerns the fallacy of ‘top reviewer’. This totally meaningless award is insulting for those who take time out of their own lives trying to review in a constructive and helpful manner as it is not generally awarded to them. The list is not full of reviewers who give out the best quality, in depth reviews but rather the most prolific. I’m not saying that everyone who is listed only gives feedback saying ‘Good job’. What I am saying is that giving the kind of ‘quality, in-depth' feedback takes a lot longer than the ‘Good job’ variety, so even if they make the list, people who ALWAYS write lengthy reviews will languish near the bottom and fall off it more frequently. Change the criteria for making the list to genuinely needing to be in-depth and of quality, and you may find more people are encouraged to do so. I would also suggest that the poetry and prose reviewers are listed separately. After all, some chapters in some novels can be 3 or 4 thousand words long. Hardly fair really, is it, to compare the reading and reviewing of a lengthy piece of writing with critiquing a couple of stanzas. Finally, to encourage the exchange of quality feedback, maybe projects of those who give high quality reviews could be given sticky status when requesting feedback – on the correct forum, of course – so others who review know to prioritise those people. Spammers will soon get the message when their requests for feedback languish at the bottom of the page; often they haven’t even bothered to check who else wants feedback.

Posted: 5/4/2009 8:30 PM PDT
It's going to be a difficult task, seeing how many authors there are here. It seems to me that a lot of people want feedback themselves but do not seek out other stories. A lot of authors will feedback you if you feedback them. Maybe you can get a list of people together who are willing to feedback? You could organize it by what they like to read and their particular skills. Then, the people who want it will know who to ask.

Posted: 4/3/2009 2:02 PM PDT
They already have the "you might like" banner but a place that lists the recently updated books or newly opened projects would be nice. Just make sure that if you are asking for feedback you are giving in depth feedback yourself.

Posted: 3/23/2009 4:47 PM PST
I completely agree with having something for new posts. There could be a feature with every time a post matching someones profile or likes becomes available a message is sent so that generates greater feedback. People read what they like before they read simply to read...

Posted: 3/22/2009 12:24 PM PST
there needs to be someone who can find new projects and feedback them. i waited way too long for feedback, i had about thirteen chapters of a book posted before i got feedback.

Posted: 3/11/2009 2:20 AM PST

TsungChi
We know it's a huge part of what goes on here at WEbook and we want to promote quality, in-depth feedback as much as possible. We are thinking about/working on a range of new features for how to do this......and we would like to hear any inside or outside the box ideas you guys have for encouraging feedback. Thanks! William - WEbook