This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/27/2015 5:34 PM PST
I am familiar with the problem you describe.  It can be debilitating to the point of distraction, but there are things you can do about it.
Like the other commenter said, your own beliefs about your work may be the most damaging. 

To me, the most important thing you can do is to get words on paper.  Even badly written words have value.  They hold the place for you while you grow your craft and get additional inspiration.  Rewrites may be a pain, but with every edit you make you learn something.  Yes, it is possible to take a good piece and edit it right into the waste basket, but that comes with the territory.

Most "writer's block" is simple boredom with the scene, the character, or some bit of business that must be completed before the next scene can be written.  The trick here is to ignore that part of you that says everything must be written in the order it will be read.  My guess is that if you hop around to other scenes, you'll always find something good to write.

Best of luck with your work!

-r
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:29 AM PDT
Westy,

A wise man once told me '...of all the opinions you will gather about your writing, yours is the least important...' or summit like that.

So here's an idea, WEBook holds a monthly challenge that rarely goes beyond 1,000 words, scribe something, hang it up and see what others think. Now I'm not saying they won't think it's garbage too (it's unlikely they'll say that, though I might now just for the laugh) but they will also offer advice and guidance to help you improve...should you need it.

It's time to show the world what's in your head...unless you're chicken of course.

Good Luck

Posted: 6/27/2014 2:29 AM PDT
Westy,

A wise man once told me '...of all the opinions you will gather about your writing, yours is the least important...' or summit like that.

So here's an idea, WEBook holds a monthly challenge that rarely goes beyond 1,000 words, scribe something, hang it up and see what others think. Now I'm not saying they won't think it's garbage too (it's unlikely they'll say that, though I might now just for the laugh) but they will also offer advice and guidance to help you improve...should you need it.

It's time to show the world what's in your head...unless you're chicken of course.

Good Luck

Posted: 6/27/2014 1:49 AM PDT
Well I've tried. God knows I've tried. I've tried everything.
When I could never get past three pages I started analysing the work of the greats to find out what their secret was. When I couldn't figure it out I started using their work as a template, taking paragraphs and trying to work my own story into them. Didn't work. I still try, doesn't work. So I started writing freehand instead of using a computer. I went to a library today - because distractions at home might be interfering - still crap. It took me four hours to write three pages. Crap.
What am I missing here? Am I missing something? I can just never find a narrative voice that feels smooth or interesting. It's always clunky, or boring, or vague. It's hurting me because I have stories waiting to be told but I can never get past 1000 words. I see people complaining about only being able to produce 50,000 words...come on...
What am I missing? I've been at it about five years with nothing to show for it. Every day just busting something out and then deleting it the next day because it's garbage.