This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Get the scoop on the latest developments at WEbook....then let us know how we are doing.
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:26 AM PDT
Yay! Thank you! I just needed a little something. I know you guys are busy working on things for this site and I know that those things take time. I am trying hard to be patient, but I'm like a kid at Christmas at times. I can never wait to find out what's under the tree for me!
I've been a member of this site for quite sometime now, and for the first time since I joined I'm very excited about being a member and I'm loving the changes that are slowly taking place. a part of me was growing concerned about the numbers of the member online dipping down a little too. I don't want that to happen here. Thank you again for the update!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/10/2013 2:23 AM PDT

hlk88

Hi smellymama,

Well, the first thing we are doing is publishing eight fantastic titles, that were created right here on WEbook. You can see their covers emerge day by day on the homepage. 

The Doctor, who looks after the running of the site, is currently locked away in his laboratory making sure that the new WEbook features, like the mobile site, run perfectly when they are launched. We know it's a bit frustrating that these things are taking a while to appear, but we can guarantee you that they are most definitely near completion. 

A couple of things to keep you going for the moment - 
  • Our new win an iPad Mini challenge! - have you entered your story yet?! 
  • WEbook Blog - we've just posted an interview with one of our new authors Lanette Kauten and we will be updating this regularly with some more insights into the writers who are being published by WEbook.
We'll let everyone know when the new features are going to be rolled out, and believe you me, we are just as excited as you are!!

Posted: 10/9/2013 4:39 PM PDT
:-( I'm sad. Still nothing. ;-(

Posted: 9/18/2013 9:03 AM PDT
I'm on the edge of my seat too. I know they are about to come out with a mobile version, and a new page to fame. I keep checking everyday. It feels like this site is in limbo right now. No new posts, ratings at a stand still, -or so it seems. I'm trying hard to be patient, but that has never been my strong suit. I can't wait!

Hurry up Webook!
{I mean this in the nicest possible way}

Posted: 9/15/2013 8:27 AM PDT

NavarCrow
So what is in the coming for the Weboot? What new things are you guys working on behind the scenes?

Posted: 9/11/2013 3:08 AM PDT

hlk88

Hi AnxiousAlly,

We are working hard to create a mobile-friendly website for those of you on the go, and we'll announce it on the blog as soon as we're ready to launch!

H

Posted: 9/7/2013 9:14 PM PDT
I'm so glad that the vote down button has been removed away from the reply! I was finding it difficult (with my fatso fingers) to click the right thing using a mobile device... on that topic, will I expect a fully mobile website for webook anytime soon? It would halp greatly, I know lots of us with our busy lifestyles, love to check in on the go, however on small screens (although they do seem to be getting bigger with each new device) I findit quite difficult to navigate the website and utilise all the awesom features :)
Thank you for all your effort into improving this fantastic site, looking great!

Posted: 8/13/2013 4:48 AM PDT

hlk88

Hi ZanneP,

We have removed both of the buttons for the moment because as you said the vote down button was too close to the reply button. What we would like to do is to re-install the vote up facility but we would like to have some feedback from the community about what purpose and functionality you would like this to have. I have asked for members to submit their suggestions to this forum page: 
http://www.webook.com/forums/messageIndex.aspx?topic=7f6d67e19b964a839d114057cda6f481

It would be great if we could get as many opinions as possible so that we are able to create something that is driven by community demand and preference. 

H

Posted: 8/13/2013 4:37 AM PDT

ZanneP
The layout on the forum has improved no end - I'm really, really glad the reply button to posts on the forum has been moved away from the vote down icon so many thanks for that!  But has the vote up vote down facility gone?

Posted: 8/12/2013 7:53 AM PDT
Seriously? That's the worst thing we have to deal with - spammers? Use the thing perched on your shoulders to decide to ignore them. Spammers are a fact of web existence and I appreciate the fact that the new management is actively trying to delete their posts. So what if a few get through? Really, what does it matter. Ignore them and get on with it!

I've been on this site for almost five years now and spammers have always been a problem, but It hasn't soured me on writing and interacting here. If this is the worst thing we have to deal with here then somebody's doing something right.

And, as far as the functionality and changes that need to take place. I also want things to happen, but I'm not dense enough to think it can happen overnight. I believe (and, trust me, I have no inside information) that it was better for WeBook to roll out their design upgrade now instead of waiting for everything to get fixed. At least they are showing movement in the right direction and offering me hope that the other problems are being worked on. But to refer to this site as 'broken' and 'half-dead' is just wrong. Instead of spending time announcing how unsatisfied you are, jump on over to the projects page and start writing. That, at least, will be constructive.

And, PurpleBug... have you met PoetLife?

Posted: 8/12/2013 5:32 AM PDT
Thanks hlk88.  That's what I've been doing up to now, so I'll continue.  Got to say, I'm a little sad to read this thread...Not sure how many of those leaving comments here were around for the end of the old site, but it got pretty dire.  Way more spam than is on the site now and lots of disgruntled WeBookers, because promises hadn't been kept and the site seemed to be freefalling (at least, that's how it felt to me).  I don't want to carp on about the old owners, but the experience has certainly made me appreciate the new ones!

I'm on WeBook to write, to interact with people I've got to know over the last 3+ years, and I've also tried to make a point of coming onto the forums recently and reading up on what everyone else is getting up to...I don't often feel I have anything useful to say or even that I 'dare' to join in the debate/conversation...but some of the threads are informative and others make me laugh because the people on there are obviously having fun! :) 

However, much as I love the community aspect of this site, it's still my writing that's the main pull.  I can post on here, I can get feedback and advice, and I can hopefully provide the same for other writers.  So long as all that works, I'm good.

As it happens though, I like the set-up of the new site.  It's only been a week (I think?) since the new design was launched, and so far so good.  My husband works in IT, so I know that nothing with regard to computers is as simple as I think it should be.  To my mind, there's bound to be teething problems and stuff that needs to take a back seat for a little while.

Spammers are annoying, and as I said at the beginning, I tend to report them when I see them...but they don't have anything to do with my main reason for being here.  PERFECTING MY WRITING.  WeBook is still the best place I've found for that - and believe me, I've tried a few other sites out there! When WeBook disappeared, I went to see what I could find to replace it...I still shudder to at how dull, 'clunky' and often limiting the functionality was on the ones I joined (and then abandoned).  The members were often apathetic towards me.  It got to the point that my IT savvy husband couldn't stand me moping around any longer and set up an online forum so that I and a few of the friends I'd made on the 'old' WeBook could post to it - JUST so we could keep doing what we loved and get the feedback and help we needed.

It wasn't the same though, and I think the others in that group were just as delighted to see WeBook return as I was.  We're all back on here!  I've been adding more WeBookers to my list of friends too!  :)

So, for me, the niggles are a very minor inconvenience that I know will eventually get fixed, and it's WeBook all the way... Thanks to everyone who brought it back so I had somewhere to come and play!  :)

Posted: 8/12/2013 3:45 AM PDT

hlk88

Hello everyone,

I have just been reading through your posts and would like to address a few issues that have come up.

Firstly, I would like to confirm that both I (hlk88) and apicket75 work for WEbook. So, if anyone has any issues with the site itself, the functionality and especially with spammers I implore you to please email, info@webook.com, with a link to the issue or spam in question and also their member profile pen-name. This will help us to quickly address any issues or spam that comes into the site, as this is obviously a point of understandable frustration for our members.

We take spamming seriously and we are also doing our best to clean it up where we see it, however sometimes some of it slips through the net and we would really appreciate it, if rather than getting riled up about it publicly, you could instead reach out to the right channels through the e-mail address I provided above. This will ensure that spammers are dealt with quickly and efficiently - we will delete the posts, their accounts and ban their email addresses from re-registering with the site.  

ThePurpleBug - Thank you for your pro-active efforts in the fight against spam. The list that you have complied containing 300 members who you suspect to be spammers sounds like it would be a really great tool for us to use. We can then investigate your concerns and follow up by deleting their accounts if necessary. If you could email this to, info@webook.com, we would be very grateful. Thank you. 

On a related note, there was some concern about spammers posting and this being included within our Active User statistic which can be found on the bottom of each WEbook page. Having an account and posting does register as an active user, however, as most spammers are one-off posters they WILL NOT appear in the Active Users statistic because this is re-collated every 24-hours. You may have already noticed that we have amended the presentation of these statistics to include 'Total Registered Members' and 'Members Online' - 'Total Registered Members' is what it says, and 'Members Online' is the 'Active Users' statistic, which is re-calculated every 24-hours.

ThePurpleBug - I understand from what I have read between WEbook_1 and yourself, that there was a misunderstanding about the post pasted below: 'Astonishingly annoying... We're doing our best to eliminate this, and we've installed multiple spam barriers, but it's not just bots doing it, it would appear that there are human beings doing this... Personally, we have much better things to do'. 
I would just like to clarify that WEbook_1 was referring to the spammers when they said 'we have much better things to do', and not to yourself or your efforts in the war against spam. We would like to be able to dedicate our time to investigating the more pertinent matters mentioned by our community and would love to stop 'wasting' time dealing with spammers, however, they are unfortunately, a frustrating presence that demands and distracts attention we should be dedicating to the site itself, a feeling that was reflected in WEbook_1's words.

If we all rally together to eradicate the spam from the site it will make a huge difference, so this is your call to arms WEbookers! Keep your eyes peeled and report it! You can either press the 'report' button below posts, or, even better, email it to, info@webook.com.

H

Posted: 8/11/2013 10:01 PM PDT
I'd try writing.
But that was rude...

Posted: 8/11/2013 9:36 PM PDT
Yes, yes I do.

Posted: 8/11/2013 8:59 PM PDT
Dude, you need a hobbie

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:58 PM PDT
I first suggested they remove the spam on June 8th. That's when I received the "we have better things to do" response from Webook_one  http://www.webook.com/forums/messageIndex.aspx?topic=667630f0d2904ab5b218adb4f3bd9249&fview=true
I suggested it again on June 26th and and the next day I received a response from apickett75 saying they had cleaned the groups and forums of spam. It was practically a miracle. http://www.webook.com/forums/messageIndex.aspx?topic=d31dbb7a293a4a7589b21d8174e187a8&fview=true

I have also received several very nice responses from hlk88. I have no idea if hlk88 or apicket75 is working for WEbook but they've both been very polite. 

I also made suggestions about flagging the spam both in profiles and accounts but have heard no word back on that front. 

I always have proof when I accuse and I do have a list of every member that has joined this website since July 7th. 

I have nothing to apologize for. 

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:58 PM PDT
James, stop being a rude old man...

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:54 PM PDT
In the opinion of this old man, condescension is rude.

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:38 PM PDT
PB, he said he's reading our suggestions and taking them into consideration. It's been pointed out many times that taking over a site and recoding it without a manual is considerably more difficult to do than building one from scratch. You know this and have shown no appreciation for the work that has gone into this site to make it better for us, the writers.

I want you to show one time when WB1 has been rude to you. You have made that accusation before after WB1 responded to your concerns about the spammers, which has been significantly reduced since the time the new owners have taken over, and when others pointed out to you that WB1 agreed with you that the spammers were annoying and that he had better things to do than continually chase them away from the site, you went silent. You neither apologized for the name-calling, nor did you debate the point. This led to the assumption that you realized you had made a mistake and simply misunderstood WB1's intention but that you were embarrassed. That happens. No one likes to be embarrassed over falsely accusing another person. Yet, here you are again, slinging mud without cause.

You are young, so take this advice from an older woman: Do not accuse without proof. Whenever there are two ways of looking at something, go with the most logical. When dealing with a person's statement and there are two ways of looking at it, assume the positive unless the person's a politician. If someone is working hard to solve problems, it shows an incredible amount of ingratitude to be constantly in that person's face. Be a young lady of good character and not a woman of constant contention.

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:36 PM PDT
I think you just proved my point in regards to the spam. If they've got better things to do than remove it from the forums and groups then how the hell would they have time to remove all of those spam accounts that boost the numbers they're claiming. 

I just think they should put more effort into the functionality than how the site looks. As they said, they haven't changed any of the functionality yet, just the appearance. Which, for the record is breaking formatting left and right. I have several threads about it over in "suggestions for improvement." None of those have received a response. 

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:33 PM PDT
I think you are being rude finn ...

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:25 PM PDT
You'll probably take this as rude, as well, but how exactly is it broken?
Yes, we've all been offering suggestions.  Yes, they've implemented some.  No, they haven't implemented all of them.
Webook_One hasn't been - in my opinion, but then in my opinion neither have I - rude.  He/she/they said, basically, "If you see an account that's spam, message us so we can take care of it, instead of publicly questioning the site."
You have been claiming rudeness and slight against whoever the hell Webook_One is since they first responded to you about the spam (which is better but not gone, I admit).  And calling anyone who doesn't agree with you rude to boot.  So (baby girl - since I know you like that) if you don't like the site's management (I happen to think they're doing a stellar job with they had to work with) go somewhere else.  There's a billion crappy sites that you could go and sulk on - none of them will be even remotely as user friendly as Webook, and none of their owners will give a half a shit about your suggestions.  But at least they won't be so rude as to actually discuss the site with you.
And they might not use ellipses, because that would obviously be rude, too...

Posted: 8/11/2013 6:13 PM PDT
Sorry, it was supposed to be this profile. I accidentally cut an "s" off the end when I pasted it.
http://www.webook.com/member/harriss

Also, I would message like everybody else but since you're so rude to me in public I can only image how rude you'll be over a private message. 

I have suggested many things, as have others. Most of them are excellent ideas and most of them keep getting suggested again and again with no response, Instead of arguing with me you should be responding to those ideas. You keep saying you want input from us, well we're giving it to you, show us that you're seeing it. 

I would rather have a ugly functional website than a pretty one that's broken. 

Posted: 8/11/2013 4:07 PM PDT
Really, only one is from 2008 and it a site glitch not the error of purplebug .. it's all right there on the writer's page. Open to everyone.
Harriss is in the new member list

Posted: 8/11/2013 2:14 PM PDT

WEbook_One

Purplebug - some of the profiles you have just listed have been members since 2008! 
Not the obvious definition of spam...

We really appreciate your efforts, honestly. But why don't you do what other members do and get in touch with one of us to ensure that everyone's experience on WEbook is as pleasurable and constructive as we think you would want it to be? Posting on the forums seems as odd a way of highlighting your concerns as you thought it was odd that we announced our site redesign!

Seriously, we think it would be far better if we found a way of working together on improving the site...
The invitation to you is open.

Posted: 8/11/2013 1:24 PM PDT
I am able to see every new member who joins the site. It's listed under the Find Writers tab. I've been keeping a list of new members so I can go check their stuff out when I want to and maybe give them a reason to stick around. 

By doing this I come across so many obvious spam profiles. 

http://www.webook.com/member/Patrintney
http://www.webook.com/member/harris
http://www.webook.com/member/nie45vegs
http://www.webook.com/member/Jatcherdimpy
http://www.webook.com/member/Amyussell

I have a list of almost 300 of these since July 7.

So please, keep telling me I'm wrong. 

Posted: 8/10/2013 2:07 PM PDT

WEbook_One

Purplebug, I'm afraid you are simply not party to that sort of information. We are.
You are, more pertinently, quite wrong.

If you were right, then the people who pay for this site would rightly take their money elsewhere. As a result you would have no voice.
And we hope that that fact alone would make you cherish your freedom of expression a little bit more lovingly.

Posted: 8/10/2013 12:41 PM PDT
When it comes to people discussing politics, there are two kinds of people: 1) those who talk about the issues and do something about it, 2) those who talk about the issues and do nothing. Of the two groups, one complains the most and spreads the most disinformation. To anyone complaining about the site, lack of new members, etc., ask yourself which group you're in and what are you doing to help make this site better and more active.

Posted: 8/10/2013 12:16 PM PDT
purple bug, how do you know this? where do you find that kind of information? I'm not saying you're wrong, I did find an ad in page to fame. but how did you come up with those numbers?

Posted: 8/10/2013 10:05 AM PDT
I'm sorry for assuming that a site update meant an update in functionality. I guess I figured that when you fixed the ability to delete projects you would have probably fixed some other things in the process. Guess I was wrong. 

Fun fact. There have been over 300 spam accounts added within the last month ones that are obviously not real people. None of these have been deleted. There are almost more spam accounts joining this site every day than real people. Not to mention the fact that some of these spam accounts do post projects and post in pagetofame. 

Posted: 8/10/2013 7:36 AM PDT
I say, you guys are doing a great job. There will always be at least one person who wants things different than what you give them. Just keep doing what you are.

Posted: 8/10/2013 1:02 AM PDT

WEbook_One

The number at the bottom of each page is the number of unique registered users who, in the last 24 hours, have submitted or commented on a project (be they public or private ones), used AgentInBox, written or rated on PageToFame or posted on a forum (be they public or private ones). If we find spam, then we clear it and the number adjusts accordingly.

The number of unique visitors to the site in the last 24 hours, will include this figure, plus registered users who do not post/rate/submit, plus those who have not signed up (or in), plus any bots or spammers. According to Google Analytics, this figure is averaging around 1,500 per day.

The site-based menu option Forum->Bulletin Board->WEbook's Latest News and Information seems to us the logical place to post the latest news and information. Occasionally, we have taken the decision to add a one-off pop-up with truly important news, such as when we removed the fee to enter PageToFame. We felt this was not appropriate this time as we felt that the design could speak for itself. The tools and functions on the site had not changed and, as yet, no new functionality had been deployed.

Posted: 8/9/2013 8:43 PM PDT
First off, purplebug, I apologize as I didn't intend to vote this post down, the site is still maddeningly difficult to use on a phone and I pushed the wrong button. I didn't call you any names (unless youire counting "baby girl" or whatever it was"). I didn't insult you in any way. I wasn't rude. I simply explained that I see nothing wrong with them posting the latest news and information in the "latest news and information" section with a sticky thread no one could miss. Obviously you do. I apologise that you find my opinion rude, it was not intended to be. Nuff said.

Posted: 8/9/2013 6:26 PM PDT
FinneanNilsen: I should not have to dig through the forums to find information about this website. Granted it's not that difficult now because we have maybe 15 people posting. But if there were a few hundred then things would get lost and buried quickly. 

Don't get me wrong, I like forums. I think they're entertaining and useful, but I think website updates belong on the blog. Why have a blog if it's not going to get used? If they're just going to use it to announce who won the contests they might as well make a forum for it (because obviously everyone likes the forums better). Oh wait, there is a forum for the writing challenges and nobody bothers with it.

If there really are over 600 "members online" and we assume half of those are bots or spammers then that means there are, at most, 300 people. This thread has been viewed 130 times I've "viewed" it at least 10 and I'm guessing other forum regulars have viewed it multiple times as well. So assuming everyone who has looked at it only looked twice that's, at most, 65 people who have seen it.

I don't want regular blog posts, the occasional post is fine. It would just be nice to get all of the information in one place. It would make sense to have all the information in one place instead of multiple different threads in the forum. I was playing around and I found a page that's sole purpose was to link to updates posted in the forum. Why? 

I wish everybody would stop whining about the old owners. They're gone, nobody gives a crap about them anymore. 

The name calling is just rude, grow up. 

Posted: 8/9/2013 4:45 PM PDT
The new design looks great and beautiful!

Posted: 8/7/2013 10:06 PM PDT
Purplebug: why would this being here on the forum make it somehow secretive or nefarious, while posting it on the blog is open and democratic?  I don't get the: You're giving off a vibe of "if we don't say anything maybe they won't notice."
What wouldn't we notice?
What didn't he say?
How on earth does this information being on the blog allow us to use new features any differently than we are now?  With it in the forums?
I'm lost, baby girl, and I feel like you just want regular blog posts (you've asked for them, but I think action is usually better than words) but I'd, personally, prefer them being posted in the appropriate forum, as they were.
It's a work-in-progress, and I'm not cheer leading when I say I appreciate even the occasional update: the old crew had a blog post once a week, but if you reported a bug or messaged them a problem or a hundred of you begged for them to even notice you're begging, they never even bothered to acknowledge we existed.  I posted a bug to the forum before that was never resolved or even commented on for two years!
I don't (personally) give a shit where they post it (though, again, I'd prefer it here) I'd rather they get stuff done than have a regular newsletter or blog post.  If it takes fifteen minutes out of their day spent making the site better to tell us about all their hard work?  Lose it and keep working...

Posted: 8/7/2013 9:18 PM PDT
I feel like this information should have been posted on the blog, detailing the more important changes so people can check them out directly and let you know if they find any bugs. 

This also allows us to really use features we originally thought were broken but are now fixed. For example, the ability to delete projects, and the fact that the "read projects" section is so much easier to navigate. 

I don't really care what the website looks like as long as it's functional and I would like to know what has become more functional so I can use it. Navigating this site isn't easy for us either. 

You're giving off a vibe of "if we don't say anything maybe they won't notice."

Posted: 8/7/2013 2:05 PM PDT

ZanneP
There will always be some people who criticise something new. When this version gets changed in the future no doubt people will want this one back but hey ho that's life.

Anyway, I've been having a bit of a play around and checking out stuff.

What I really like:

• The size of the book icons in the publication store (Wow - who knew that was going on!) 
  • The formatting choices in the forum
  • The weeding out of deleted subs
  • Simpler navigation (but see What I don't like re speed below)

What I think could be improved further:

• On a mobile device (I use android) the forum posts don't load completely beyond a certain length. (This was also a problem before but I don't know if you were particularly aware of it and wanted to bring it to your attention before the mobile thing is properly launched)
  • I really think the forum could be cleaned up with fewer categories certainly on the front page 

What I don't like:

• The incredibly slow speed of the site. Not sure if this is an issue right now because it's the evening here in the UK but I've been on IE earlier today and was hanging around for ages for pages to load - pretty frustrating. On Chrome it's better, but still slower than before the weboot.
  • On IE some subs in the August challenge don't load up properly, but load ok on my phone and also some people have been having formatting issues which is frustrating for them and also people reading them

Anyway, that's all for now. (Sorry if the What I don't like seems longer than the other bits but I figure you want to know any problems in detail.)

Actually, where is the best place to post any issues? Sorry if posting here is out of line.

Posted: 8/7/2013 11:35 AM PDT
I am 100% supportive of the new Webook! Love the new site design, and I'm excited about being apart of something so ground breaking and historic!

Posted: 8/7/2013 11:34 AM PDT
I'd like to say that so far I've been impressed by what you've been doing here; I see a lot of action and interaction, owners that actually care and, these days, look forward to logging in to see what you've done, or will do next.  Ongoing job, thus far, very well done.

Posted: 8/7/2013 10:15 AM PDT

NavarCrow
I'm loving it so far.

Posted: 8/7/2013 7:02 AM PDT
I'm pretty excited, too. Thank you for everything you and your team have done.

Posted: 8/6/2013 11:58 PM PDT

WEbook_One

Let me take this opportunity to explain what we've been doing, to answer any questions you might have and hopefully to allay any fears.

When we first bought WEbook, we were given no instructions, no user manual and no one was on hand to advise us.
WEbook is written in ASPX and is actually a computer programme that simply displays as a website. Any changes or ideas that we would have, were necessarily going to involve us learning what the original programmers had intended, and sorting and sifting through nearly 5 years of evolutionary code.

And so, three and half months ago, we started work.

What you see in front of you now is not just a redesign. It is the first step in preparing the code for 2013 (and beyond) and the work, time (and money) that we have invested is very much ongoing. The site does, and will always, remain free to all of you

Whilst we appreciate that any visual changes are entirely subjective, you must remember that the majority of you are used to WEbook's old layout (nearly 5 years now). We were concerned however, that new users were being overwhelmingly put off by what they perceived as being dated, unnavigable and behind what the competition (or at least perceived competition) were offering.

We put the redesign out to competition - to a crowd-sourcing website - to invite a community to help us conceive a new look (very much in keeping with our aim to keep WEbook as a community driven project). And we listened to your ideas and suggestions and have tried to implement as many of them as possible. Some we have already, some we're still working on, some contradicted what someone else was asking for! 

But that was the easy part. We still had to marry the new vision to the existing site - or rather the existing code - and the first stage of that is what you have in front of you now. And it is still ongoing...

The site is designed for mobile devices too, but we have chosen to launch the desktop version only now, in order to garner feedback, whilst honing the mobile code. Rest assured, mobile should be coming soon. You asked us for it, after all.

We relaunched the site two days ago without fanfare for a reason. Nothing represents a design better than the design itself, and we'll still refrain from getting into a commentary about it now - it is simply too subjective an issue! But our tests have shown that new users feel more comfortable with it, and that is something we can't lose sight of.

On top of the visual changes, are a raft of others that you may not yet appreciate are there. The hardware running the site was upgraded massively, and we are still stripping out pages of code that we first test, and then perceive to be redundant. And all this, remember, without instructions.

A note on the apparently contentious Active Members stat at the bottom. This is a real time analysis of the number of unique users using the site in the previous 24 hours. So if you think about it, it's not going to go up and down like a Realtime Google Analytics display. If you were online in the last 24 hours, it recognises you when you return, and the stat won't change. Most of you are returning users, so clearly what you see is a fairly constant and honest display. We find this more useful as it shows the community, rather than specific snapshot usage. And this is the number that we want to see grow when we start to promote the new site in the next few weeks and months.

So what about the books on the WEbook store?

Well this is our biggest idea and it is an astonishingly ambitious one, we now realise! A few months ago we started rewriting PageToFame, to make it what it always ever should have been (and was, incidentally, the plan back in 2008) - and that was a type of PathToPublish™ (only kidding about the trademark symbol!). So we invited a group of beta testers to help us trial how this might work - how a community could help writers to write better, and how a community might decide how and which books should get published. And not us, the owners of WEbook.

The recoding and testing continues, but these testers have been (still are, in fact) editing, revising, writing, sharing and the results are getting closer to publication. Some manuscripts get lauded, others rejected, but all are treated fairly and objectively, in what is traditionally a very subjective business.

It will be a little bit longer yet before we can roll this out for everyone, but that is our stated intention. Your books, up there, published by WEbook and available everywhere, in all formats, and owned and controlled by you. Not another self-publishing platform, but something new and excitingly different - a community publishing platform - free at the point of entry.

We're pretty excited.
And we think, if we get it right, and with your help, that publishing really did 'just get reinvented'.