This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/10/2008 2:20 PM PDT
Yes, I think you should keep going! It is always easier to revise blocks of text when you have the ideas and scenes down on paper. You can't do everything perfectly the first time, so get your draft out, keep your fingers moving on the keyboard, and you can always tweak it later. I'm happy to hear that you got through your initial block and were able to get started!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/5/2008 10:04 AM PDT
okay i have gotten in the groove writing i had block for a second still confused about the timeline... but at least im writing... does it make sense? to me anyway... its sound more like a story rather than a book. should i just take advantage of the fact that my hands wont stop moving from the keyboard and continue to write and work out what fits where and fix things later? i find myslef bouncing around in my writing... maybe it because its about me? but i will start something and than take it to something else without actually fully finishing that piont in which i started.... does that make sense.? than it kinda seems to late or doenst make sense when i try to finish my point... any advice would help always greatful, -yani1

Posted: 9/4/2008 5:52 PM PDT
Don't start at the beginning pick something you want to happen, write it, then that should help you think of how to get there thats what I did with the book I'm writing now.

Posted: 9/4/2008 1:21 PM PDT
well lets see,.. its kinda like a biography,.. about myself... but where i start is beyond me.... my one tiny life is one big gigantic novela.... so i thought i would write it... bad idea or not i have made the decision to at least try it out... i figure if you tell people you want or are writing a book it kinda forces you to see it through... so with that being said... the whole timeline thing confuses me.. do i start it in the chilhood? or present...work back than forward again? first person or third person? how to i introduce the characters as they play a huge role in my life as far as the timeline?.... yes i may sound inexperienced in all this but i truly think it would be a good read... PLEASE HELP! need some type of direction...

Posted: 9/4/2008 12:23 AM PDT
You might start by looking at some of the books in the genre of what you will be writing. Then after figureing out what your style will be, and the backgrounds on your character, you can figure out what you want the pace to be. Do you want it to be fast paced, lots of movement? Or more subtle, hinting at the plot and drawing people in over time? This can help you figure out how you want to grab your audience in the first few lines.

Posted: 9/3/2008 9:34 PM PDT

Mrs_Smith
what i like to do (or what i use to do) was start with a timeline, start out with maybe 12 main points write them down in linear form beginning to how you would like your story to end, then within each point write a little about each "chapter" what you want to happen, main event within the chapter, how you would like it to end. tried to be as detailed as possible. also as stated above having as much detail about a character is a good place to start as well.

Posted: 9/3/2008 6:27 PM PDT
One way to help the situation is to not start with the book. First write down the name and vital statistics of the hero. Then do the same for any villian. Now the sidekicks of the hero. Now write a little history about each one. Nothing really deep, just where they were born; how much education did they have; that sort of thing. Now write about the place it is happening in. If it's a town, figure out how big and what is the basic reason for a town to be where it is. While all this is going on, if you think of some great juicy scenes, write those down too. When all this is finished, take those juicy scenes and arrange them on a time line. By this time you've been writing so long about these people and this place that you'll just naturally see how you can ease into the story. Hope this helped.

Posted: 9/3/2008 6:09 PM PDT
I can help! What's the story about? Maybe I can help you bounce some ideas. I have the same problem, but that's usually with my own writing. When it isn't mine, the nasty little snare that is writer's block doesn't seem to have a hold. Ironic, huh? Anyways, send me a message if you don't want to post your ideas in the open.

Posted: 9/3/2008 4:20 PM PDT
HI, i have an idea for a book, i have been pondering for years about writing this so called book. now that i have made the desicion to just do it. i have no idea where to begin. i have always had trouble starting any type of writing, whether its a letter or short story, or essay. But once i get started im good it just getiing started that im always stuck on. Please help!