This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/14/2008 2:27 PM PDT
I agree with slg86-- having a notebook in my bag is so helpful. Then when I'm out and about I can still jot down my ideas and sketches for pieces I want to do!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/14/2008 2:09 PM PDT
I have this problem too - I sometimes come up with so many scenes that I forget where I want them! I keep them all in the same word document (or in the same notebook) and use a different document/notebook for other stories. That way, all of the same ideas are in the same place, and you can rearrange them later.

Posted: 9/14/2008 9:51 AM PDT
I have the same problem. Or sometimes I will have a few totally great sentences written out in my head, then when I start to write it just doesn't want to flow. Try doing an excerpt, a scene taken from the rest of the story. It has helped me and once I get an excerpt down it usually kind of falls into place with the before and after parts, or something ill just click. And sometimes, if I'm stuck on how my character might react or something, I have a conversation with them, either aloud or in my head. Sounds crazy, right? But I swear it helps. Well, most of the time. and since it's you being the character basically, it will help you get into the character's shoes and make your work seem more real. Hope that helps.

Posted: 9/10/2008 7:56 PM PDT
Honestly, I sometimes tape-record my ideas. I just sit there and spill everything out and then come back to it later for a listen. After it's all out, I sit down and sift through everything I said, taking notes on my ideas. I find it keeps me from getting stuck on the writing. I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I generally have a lot of trouble because I want to get it exactly right, the first time.

Posted: 7/16/2008 11:18 PM PDT
First, only write one book at a time, otherwise they'll start to mix. If you need to remember what a book is about, write the premise down. Second, try using the system I call NLOS. That's Name, Location, Occupation, Scenario. All you need is one of each of these, and you have the beginnings of a story. Find a source of conflict, and a resolution. Let it grow from there

Posted: 7/16/2008 9:10 PM PDT
I have the same problem. I have tons of ideas, but when I sit down to write them i don't know where to begin. My other problem is that I seem to try to write several books at the same time so that i don't forget my ideas later. Then when I go back to one of them I can't remember what that book is supposed to be about.

Posted: 7/3/2008 4:17 PM PDT
Thanks, very much. I am not giving up... I keep trying. I know I have the imagination and the ideas... so will keep trying. Thanks again.

Posted: 7/3/2008 11:17 AM PDT
Start with one word. For instance, if your idea is about your main character flying on an airplane over the atlantic when a hurricane comes and plunges it into the ocean...etc etc. Then instead of worring about how to actually go about writing that scene. Write one simple word: Airplane. Follow it up with another: Hurrican And then another: ocean. Then connect your words in a rough way... such as what I have done above. Do not worry about run on sentences or punctuation marks at this point. Just get that idea down, then fleshing it out later might be a bit easier. ...Don't give up.

Posted: 7/1/2008 8:17 AM PDT
This is my mayor issue. I have great ideas, got them all in my head, but when I sit down to write them either on the screen or paper i cant get them out. Is hard because I know they are there......