This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/16/2008 10:19 AM PDT
I prefer the practical suggestions offered by Sarah. If your character makes a choice for practical -- rather than abstract -- reasons, you'll have an easier time constructing an action-filled plot. Look for some practical conflict in your character's life that would cause him to make this choice. I read or heard somewhere that, when it comes to character motivation, characters are either running FROM something or TO something. I like the idea of your character starting by running FROM something (debt, a bad relationship, gangsters who want to break his kneecaps, the law, whatever) and evolving over the course of the story or book until he ends up running TO something (true love, power, the truth about the universe, justice, whatever).
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/15/2008 8:16 PM PDT
Ok, I got one... Focus on the title and have the main character under the impression that he believes that his fate is to see if their is a realm beyond space. A heaven if you will.

Posted: 9/15/2008 6:46 PM PDT
Here are some ideas. . . . 1. money problems 2. itchy for adventure 3. wants to escape unpleasant home life 4. can't figure out another way to leave girlfriend 5. wants to do his duty for his country 6. needs to pay off student loans 7. there is a war and all the other young men are enlisting 8. needs special training to advance his career 9. he was persuaded by an attractive recruiter 10. wants the free flights that come along with the space navy

Posted: 9/15/2008 4:39 PM PDT
I have writer's block (no duh...) and I am trying to think of a very good reason why my main character in the short story Hand of Fate would join the space Navy. Help would be greatly appreciated. -Anthony Buffuna