This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 1/28/2010 12:51 AM PST
Zero seems like a really interesting character! If your technique of letting your characters develop naturally has worked in the past, you should continue on working this way. If he's meant to talk more, he will when he is ready. Bravo for a fantastic idea!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/25/2010 4:47 PM PST
Well- this is just a question. Do you think Zero doesn't talk because he's so sure of himself or because he's not that sure? And also- there are these great questions you should ask yourself about him that I found when I was trying to have one of my own character's develope---- Lemme find it. http://fictionwriting.about.com/od/crafttechnique/tp/createcharacter.htm Oh, and try to find a song that you think identifies him well. Even if the lyrics don't and the melody sounds like it does. I do that all of the time. I have a whole playlists of songs that I like to listen to when I'm writing specific stories.

Posted: 1/17/2010 1:22 AM PST
I'm glad somebody thinks so. He stopped speaking again.

Posted: 11/22/2009 11:52 AM PST
i think zero is fine the way he is.....by the way you talk this character has grown a life and personality all on his own....he is mysterious and intriguing :)

Posted: 9/19/2009 1:12 PM PDT
There's another interesting point to think about. Zero seems to show only two emotions: pleasure and displeasure. There is nothing in between.

Posted: 9/14/2009 2:08 PM PDT
Maybe he doesn't speak because he feels that there is no need to speak. As if he thinks that there is a time when to speak and when that time come, Zero will speak. Maybe Zero feels that there is no reason to speak because he his happy with the way life is going for him and those he cares about. When something goes wrong, he may talk if the need arises. One last reason that I can think of is that no one before ever wanted him to speak so Zero gave up on talking to keep his emotions in check. Other than that, I have no idea. Hope I helped. Gothwriter

Posted: 9/12/2009 5:40 PM PDT
There's something a lot of people don't understand about my writing. I don't sit down and create these characters. They seem to materialize out of thin air in my mind, introducing themselves and telling me about their backgrounds. I don't give them anything or make up anything about them. Instead, they already are. Zero, I'm sure, has a background, but since he won't tell me what it is, I don't know it quite yet.

Posted: 9/10/2009 2:53 PM PDT
This sounds like a different story... but also extremely sweet. I love the idea of him not speaking! Heres and idea:Put a story behind this 'mute' character, and eventually, maybe get a little bit more out of Zero. But if you don't want to, that's okay. I'll try to read as soon as I can!

Posted: 9/8/2009 3:54 PM PDT
I went with your advice and was shocked to find him speaking in chapter nine.

Posted: 9/6/2009 3:47 AM PDT
Sammi, you are describing a really interesting character. Go with what is happening and write him as he is appearing to you. Silent, stowic, brooding with a deep mystery. Why he won't talk, and if he ever does, could be a fantastic theme through out your book. He sounds ( punny) great to me as he is.

Posted: 9/3/2009 4:21 PM PDT
I just recently began writing a new novel, entitled simply "Zero" that I have yet to post on Webook, and I have a major problem. Zero, one of the main characters, won't talk to anybody. When I write, I write mostly what my characters tell me. They narrate the story smoothly, or tell me what is going to happen next, and I have become so accustomed to their voices that it shocks me when one of them stops talking. Well, Zero is shocking me. I started the prologue with my main character, James, meeting Zero outside of school. Zero doesn't talk, just offers to walk James home, which I thought was sort of sweet. But I am tentatively beginning chapter 7, and he hasn't spoken a word in the story, to me, or to James, which worries me. Yes, I have had character suicide and death before, but Zero doesn't seem to show those early symptoms like the others did. He is more than content to have me speak to him, or to listen to James. He interacts with the other characters to an extent, but of course, he doesn't speak. He just nods, makes gestures, things like that. Zero got his name from, I suspect, his lack of . . . life. He has no ties to the world except for maybe James, he has no past, seemingly no present, and no clear future. He shows no emotion, keeping his face a perfect blank all of the time, and when James is threatened in chapter 5, he growls with a straight face. He's not mute. I asked him that first, but he chuckled and walked away. James asked him, and he did the same thing. I know he can talk, but why won't he? Does anyone have any ideas?