This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Water Cooler > Politics and Current Events > Should al-Megrahi have been freed?
Discuss, examine, and rant and rave about the news of the day.
Posted: 10/1/2010 1:03 AM PDT
He was. ;)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/29/2010 4:04 PM PDT
I enjoyed Dandan. He was such a bloody doughboy.

Posted: 1/19/2010 12:36 AM PST
Hahahahaha! You funny people.

Posted: 1/18/2010 10:43 PM PST
Lol, I just read through this entire string of posts and I have to say that, while slightly disturbing as an indication of the limits of human intellect (er, mainly the second-to-last post), it was nevertheless a rather entertaining manner in which to avoid my government homework for the past half hour. So yeah, thanks.

Posted: 9/17/2009 9:48 PM PDT
Saved from what you fucking idiot?!

Posted: 9/17/2009 2:09 PM PDT
i don't actually feel so much pitty as horror , people can't seem to understand that if somethig like bleach is beyoned comprihention then don'ttry to use it in imagnative ways . i bet she died a slow and painfull death . the stupidity of people of humanity is grim , this threads starting to depress me now , "i can't take it any more! i need to top my self! thats what ill do ? ill drink bleach !!!?" hell if she had any sence she would of done her self with the white spirit , just a bottle or two away , humans are so studid .... it's disturbing . and themouth i hear you , but do you really think a thing like age matter's , and technically i have never used drugs , i value my mind , a clear and straight head . (whisper's : your letting dandan get to you ......................)

Posted: 9/17/2009 1:11 PM PDT
He wouldn't be alive, as it tends to burn through your stomach walls. Old med school story. We had a woman who tried to off herself by drinking bleach. Apparently, she guzzled down an entire bottle. Long story short, she had signed a waiver that said her body is donated to medical research. We learned one thing that day. A bottle of bleach + stomach = swiss cheese stomach.

Posted: 9/16/2009 12:35 PM PDT
Indeed, I think the master is eighteen, and in those two point six years that he has over me, I suspect he has been drinking bleach.

Posted: 9/16/2009 10:26 AM PDT
Try as I might... I can't see any arguments from you, Mr. the_master. Maybe I was just wearing the 'normal English' glasses. Regardless of your terrible spelling, you present no argument. You speak of tumbleweeds and the wrongfulness of capitalism, but these are unsubstantiated claims, from what I suspect is a teenager with an unwarranted sense of self-importance, convinced he is the ultimate political guru. Please, do us a favor, and let the big (and literate) boys handle this.

Posted: 9/15/2009 9:16 AM PDT
you talk about jesus being a good person now ? seriouly he really would not agree with the way your living your life , or your morals sence of right and wrong , infact acording to the only incident of violence the man ever did , he wasn't for capatiolists at all , he'd probably beat you down dandan , he would actually get violent with you ......... themouths point is the system in which you so revel is wrong in so many way's and you your self know it ? your trying to deny it because , well . it would shake you up abit to say the least . but im on the verge of giving up with you , i wanna see your mindless capitolisum fall apart . and it will . its to fragile . or as you said in another thread , cut throught and back stabing , 'every man is only after the own bank balance . i can all ready pictue the tumbel weed roling through wall street :)

Posted: 9/15/2009 4:28 AM PDT
Which is?

Posted: 9/14/2009 2:20 PM PDT
I admire you ability to casually ignore that which you cannot deny.

Posted: 9/14/2009 2:09 PM PDT
Oh how young you are. If only you knew how many people have been saved 'cause of Jesus. I admire your innocence. Much to learn you have, young padawan.

Posted: 9/14/2009 10:14 AM PDT
I am not arguing that sport or dancing is less benificial, only that it is not more beneficial that any other course which require much Training/education to be adept at. Besides, Jesus has yet to do anyone a favour with his bullshit.

Posted: 9/14/2009 12:03 AM PDT
Considering that Jesus said the problem couldn't be solved can one of you give me an example of a career that is more beneficial than sport or dancing? I would wager that more people remember Gene Kelly than Max Planck.

Posted: 9/13/2009 4:39 PM PDT
The master is right for a second time. Since when did this become a debate about sports? Several key arguments have been left open, suggesting that you have no answers to them i.e. victory for me.

Posted: 9/13/2009 9:56 AM PDT
give up dandan themouth has one this . hands down i was right about your reply it's over , accept defeat . you have no comebacks to his points , and your trying to dismiss his right to be here rather that arguing it out with him on even terms ...... im seeing into you dandan , your teaching me about your self , you have lost , give up , or be japanese and comit ritual suicide ethier way its over .

Posted: 9/13/2009 8:59 AM PDT
To answer your question, sports do contribute. They keep people happy and preoccupied for them to care about their rights and demand more money. Marx left out sports when he blamed religion and booze as the bane of the working class. ANd I for one thing would rather have Pedro fret over the Red Sox than demand a higher wage.

Posted: 9/13/2009 8:39 AM PDT
I never said I wasn't a writer, just not an author. Also, that was not an arguement, so I take it you have no answer to my previous arguments, so unless you have a viable reply I may consider this a victory over flawed thinking. It has been a pleasure in enlightening you.

Posted: 9/13/2009 7:39 AM PDT
If you're not a poet or writer, you might want to look for another website to demean.

Posted: 9/13/2009 7:09 AM PDT
Do I consider myself a poet? No. Rhetorical maybe, but I still felt the need to answer, especially as I believe stunchly that unless published you are nothing, not an author or a poet. Nothing. What about Dancers? That is also hard work and fulfills all the requirements the you specified for athletics above, and yet earlier you derrided it. Also, if you have time to run in circles or kick a ball around a field then clearly you are not toiling in the fields, or directly benefitting anyone. Sure sports is fun to watch, but does it put food on the table, does it advance society. The answer is no. And to answer your question, I have nothing against sport, but I have everything against hypocrisy. Besides, I never dismissed them as "Jocks" only that is is ridiculous that someone who is gifted in sport is given a free pass into an education centre that does not even focus on sport, especially when they are taking the places of really gifted students in the actual areas. Is Yale world renowned because it's students are excellent at basketball? I don't think so. To take the example of the English Premier League (the soccer league) the players are paid in the millions per year for doing an inordinitly small amount of work, simply because they were born with a natural talent. I would like to see the Physicists and Doctors who are curing cancer and discovering the secrets of the universe paid as much. Then the Government whines about the lack of students going into science. Why should they?

Posted: 9/13/2009 6:41 AM PDT
Oh, and running around sweating isn't hard work? Let's draw a parallel. Rhetorical question #1: Do you consider yourself to be a poet? If you answered yes, proceed to rhetorical question number two. Rhetorical question #2: Do your poems give people entertainment? If the answer is yes, proceed to question number three. Rhetorical question #3: Would you like to be reimbursed for the entertainment you provide? If the answer is yes, then ask yourself: An athlete provides entertainment to people, just like a poet. While the poet uses his mind and creativity, the athlete uses his body and creativity. Why should a poet consider an athlete inferior when they're both in the entertainment business and have the same goal, only using different methods to reach it? I wouldn't dismiss all athletes as 'jocks'. Many of them are clever people who are very creative (especially basketball and soccer players) and very smart (especially golfers and bowlers). They are also often generous and give to charity, athletic, meaning they care about their bodies and provide entertainment to people. Why do you have so much against athletes? As for laziness, I'd like to see you score a home-run or achieve a hat-trick.

Posted: 9/13/2009 4:22 AM PDT
That makes no sense. If you are able to become an athlete then you had no work to do in your youth because your parents were paying for it. i.e. laziness.

Posted: 9/13/2009 2:57 AM PDT
I'm not saying the US isn't messed up. Colleges favor athletes above all, and this is their right, but they should establish a meritocracy, not a testosteronocracy. As for athletes, I can say that while I think they're overpaid, I believe them to be excellent examples of how a person should behave, as they do have more money than most people (enough to be rich) and I consider money to be a yardstick of human achievement.

Posted: 9/12/2009 8:21 AM PDT
meow , dandan can't come back to that . but he will lol . he still can't see the world can he . he still can't see the face of things . themouth you have said it like it is all over again :)

Posted: 9/12/2009 7:57 AM PDT
But the right wing allows universities and colleges to hand out scholarships to who ever they like so the entire college system is filled with brainless dumbasses who are good at nothing but football. Why do they get the breaks while the intellectuals have to settle for second best. Besides, I am fairly sure that before someone is allowed to claim benifits they must be tested and observed to determine if they have a drug addiction. If your country does not do this they are still liberals, but the kind of liberals I detest. Stupid ones. I would advocate the expulsin of all foreigners from my country, and so would just about everyone I know, but somehow it isn't happening. Then we have to sit through the governments bullshit about how they should be treated and by the end of it the actual native people whose ancestors fought nd died for the country are left as secon class citizens to some illiterate Gypsy. That is what angers me.

Posted: 9/10/2009 3:59 PM PDT
Mr. themouth, what has led you to believe I do not believe in deporting every taco-smelling illegal immigrant back to whatever third world shithole they came from? Also, you could work on getting both the Muslims and penniless Slavs out of your countries. Our economy is fucked because of the wellfare system favoring ineptitude over aptitude. Instead of college loans to gifted students, the liberal left has wasted billions on financing crackwhores and 'hustlers', who deserve not to get a single penny out of the government. Our budget is not a magical piggy-bank that never runs dry. it's a finite supply of capital which should be managed by someone with at least some degree of fiscal acumen.

Posted: 9/9/2009 2:20 PM PDT
don't youse all get it the whole world is a timebomb , to use that term , all the problems , politics , technology , human nature for crying out load . hm . i suppose you don't , that's why where all doomed , as for imagration in the u.s vs u.k. europe ect.... its all down to problems sometimes hundreds of year's old that countrys have created that are coming back to haunt them , the state of humanity in this day and age is riddiculous :( the man's freedom is relatively a small issue or syptom of the smaller problem . it's all sickening to think about ........................

Posted: 9/9/2009 2:10 PM PDT
Or we can sit back and relax while America realises that it is economically fucked. Besides your pathetic immigration legislation is worse than the UK's, (which is bloody awful, thank God I don't live there). The real problem is Eastern Europe. You can talk about Muslims blowing us up, but the reality is that wester Europe is being slowly swallowed up by wave after wave of peniless slavs.

Posted: 9/9/2009 11:04 AM PDT
Maybe because the US has a spine, while the UK has not? Time will tell. In the meantime, I'll just sit back and relax as the UK crashes under the demographic timebomb that is Islam.

Posted: 9/8/2009 7:47 AM PDT

ZanneP
To get back on topic about the release: there are too many unanswered questions for this to even approach a satisfactory conclusion. On balance though, it seems that UK families of the victims doubt the conviction and agree with the release on compassionate grounds, whereas American families do not. Why that should be so is an interesting question.

Posted: 9/8/2009 7:44 AM PDT

ZanneP
Oh, and another thing – in your reply to the mouth: (quote * Your government is corrupt, your healthcare is a shambles, your education system is a total joke... your economy is based on unsustainable growth and to top it all off, you are falling flat on your asses in the face of a recession that Europe is already recovering from.*) Are you really saying that you, quote, *do not, however think they are bad things*????

Posted: 9/8/2009 7:40 AM PDT

ZanneP
Well Dandan I agree the UK government have been spineless in the past; when they have kow-towed to hypocritical US foreign policy. Or perhaps I should say, blackmailed into doing so; Bush’s chilling “You’re either with us or against us” speech springs to mind here. As to being *informed*, perhaps you should do a little background reading yourself. If you knew anything at all about the UK and Scottish governments, you’d know that 1. The Scottish parliament works independently of the UK and glories in doing so in the few instances it can and 2. Even if Scotland could technically have been influenced by any pleas from the UK it is not remotely interested in appeasing the big boys south of the border. Actually, the fact that Scotland was able to base the release on compassionate grounds meant they could override any political factors anyway. And whilst the UK has probably never been more grateful for Scotland’s quasi independence, as it absolved them of having to make this decision themselves, they have nevertheless been inconvenienced by the subsequent debate. No doubt this inconvenience would be a source of great mirth to the Scottish government, were it not such a serious matter. The fact that Scotland also managed to hack off the American administration as well though is no small coup either.

Posted: 9/8/2009 6:45 AM PDT
sorry to barge in in this argument , but we againt recovoring from the resion , no one is , exept maybe japan . capitalisum is runing out of thins to capitalize on . you can't put legislate capitalisum , it's all about the monoply , eating other fish to make one self an even bigger fishy . about explotation . about mohoney ????? . they put bars and limits on a fragile stystem of pure greed . it was bound to come crahing down . and this is only the start ............... and to the last post . well america prevoked the who global jehad thing in the first place , it's to powerfull . it can't be stopped . just like western capitalisum , it's infecting the world . it's like a disease . the only barrier betwwen either is each other , just like nostradamus and "the two great rocks" the war between the east and the west . where all ready here . and my thought's on this , is that nether side should win ....... there both terrible , and i really don't want to be a muslim .

Posted: 9/7/2009 3:19 PM PDT
Hand out doom or justice? Name calling? I was merely calling out Europeans on their dhimmitude and spinelessness when it comes to Muslim cultural invasion.

Posted: 9/7/2009 3:09 PM PDT
Spoiled brat? Fertiliser bombs don't smell, unless they are made improperly, and I don't think you are founded in your judgment there. There has never been a terrorist attack on my country, and there probably never will, because we are clever enought to not poke our noses where they are not wanted. How many people have you even seen die? How can you hand out doom like that? Natural selection is just that, Natural, it is omnipresent, you don't need to implement it, because in Europe the people who don't work, fail. Benifits here aren't worth a shit, they can barely feed a family of three, and the increase per child doesn't work. If anything the very fact that your so called "Welfare Queens" can exist is a testament to the fact that you are far to lenient, and therefore hypocritical. Besides in your last comment you showed intolerance which only furthers my arguement, that you resort to the same name calling you criticised me for using but a few hours ago.

Posted: 9/7/2009 2:50 PM PDT
I do not deny any of the things you say. I do not, however think they are bad things. The US is the only developed country that has successfully implemented darwinian natural selection in its social system. I find it commendable. By the way, I did not slave through six years of medical school to have a spoiled brat tell me where Europe is. And besides, if I wanted to find Europe, I'd just follow the smell of falafel and fertilizer bombs.

Posted: 9/7/2009 2:34 PM PDT
What the hell are you talking about? For the last century your nation has become the most powerful military nation on Earth. But so far it has FAILED in just about eerything else. Your government is corrupt, your healthcare is a shambles, your education system is a total joke (I would be suprised if you could find Europe...), your economy is based on unsustainable growth and to top it all off, you are falling flat on your asses in the face of a recession that Europe is already recovering from. Guns don't teach kids Dandan...

Posted: 9/7/2009 2:14 PM PDT
Oh, of course, blowing up airplanes and selling semtex is much more innocent than keeping the world in check. Get informed, mr. Mouth, ms. zp. The US is the final bastion of reason, what with a Europe gone dhimmi.

Posted: 9/7/2009 11:26 AM PDT
Yes, perhaps we can build a giant wall around the area to enclose you... I think that Libya is a bit of a shit state, but selling Semtex etc. is no worse than what the CIA have been doing for half a century...

Posted: 9/6/2009 11:49 PM PDT

ZanneP
To Dandan We're all extremely glad you live in Tennessee

Posted: 9/6/2009 1:08 PM PDT

Satyr
I wish I believed it was that simple. I don't actually believe that he or Libya had anything to do with the bomb - it seems more likey that Iran ordered the downing of the plane in retaliation for the Iranian passenger plane, that had been shot down by an American fighter in the Gulf, and probable that Syria had a hand in the actual plot. However we will now never know as the appeal has been cancelled.

Posted: 9/6/2009 9:17 AM PDT
Whatever his motivation, he caused the wrongful deaths of people, and no amount of prostate cancer should excuse him from serving his sentence. Side note: This circus might have been avoided if the UK had a spine and/or a law permitting capital punishment. God, I'm glad I live in Tennessee,

Posted: 8/31/2009 10:50 AM PDT
jee im just getting carry'd away ? yes i said all that in my post before there is no justice . 'calm down .

Posted: 8/31/2009 7:54 AM PDT
That is stupid. You're stupid! I seriously doubt plane crashes attain the required tempretures needed forthe melting of aluminium. He could well be innocent, yet you have all ignored this. I myself feel noting for either parties, but I do think that the people in England who are now up in arms over the IRA bombing campains should really just shut the fuck up. I could drag up a list of thousands of Innocents killed in various engagements with the British army where there has been no justice, and yet they are supposed to also be citizens of the UK. Ridiculous.

Posted: 8/30/2009 4:19 PM PDT
uh ah not that easy , nope remote controled plane single passenger and crash it , only then . can he be attomed for his deeds , only in the fiery wraith of aviation fuel may he find forgive ness ...... only in the molten tomb of liquid aluminum may he be made pure ....... 'only (you get my point?) im a writter i can get carryed away ?

Posted: 8/30/2009 1:44 PM PDT
All I have to say is, consider the train robber Ronnie Biggs. He got freed from prison on compassionate grounds i.e. he's dying, same as al-Megrahi, but the difference is that Biggs: 1. is an elderly man 2. never actually killed anyone in this law-breaking pursuits so it stands to reason that al-Megrahi should stay in the slammer cos he killed innocent ppl, and is a mark on the Scots. In fact, the best thing to do with a man like him is shoot him! It happens to men of his origin back home, so why not? cos capital punishment no longer exists in the UK..... also, have u noticed that thousands of ppl are cheering for him? that's totally ludicrous! he deserves no compassion, celebration or reprieval whatsoever!

Posted: 8/27/2009 11:02 AM PDT
Hate begets hate, Blood begets blood. How many years has the British and American people done for their sins. None.

Posted: 8/27/2009 10:39 AM PDT
there is no justice ! wether the man was guilty or not there still is no justice! so he was convicted of killing all those people and spent only three mounths for each person he killed , and at the same time you get people doing years for manslaughter (accedental killings) they should of done it like how they do it in the states , and give him a scentence apropriot for his crimes even if it is longer than he could ever live and berry the man in the prison yard and only release his body to his family when he had done his "time" as far a im conserned acording to the philosophy of our leagal system the man should rot . not saying that i agree with the U.K. /scottish law its just acording to that the man should lie and rot in the ground , not be relised as a hero to his home country because he was "dying" it's just so un fair . if however the man was inocent as he claims . then im to emotional to coment on that . i do understand the whole compasinate release thing but ....... it's just not fair . p.s. seriously there is no justis and this above anything else proves that . convicted mass murder freed by berocracy . discusting .

Posted: 8/27/2009 12:39 AM PDT
Aye name taken in vain apparently. Nobody's answering at the place by email. The phones are disrupted by the weather. Fratricide of a younger brother I suspect. Alright now I really have to go. Take care gentlemen. Thanks.

Posted: 8/26/2009 12:45 PM PDT

Satyr
Ditto?

Posted: 8/26/2009 12:37 PM PDT
Sarmatia?

Posted: 8/26/2009 12:26 PM PDT
Fair enough. Knowing the country and despot involved they probably rounded up some random unfortunate and handed him over to appease the Scots. I'm being sarcastic of course but there is very little about human nature that surprises me theses days.

Posted: 8/26/2009 11:51 AM PDT
Well those guys were definatly guilty. Lockerbie depends on a lot of circumstancial evidence. Al-Megrahi was never witnessed by more than one person.

Posted: 8/26/2009 11:25 AM PDT
It's unjustified. When can we expect "compassionate release" for the Glasgow Airport attackers?

Posted: 8/26/2009 10:58 AM PDT
Were those guys court-martialed?

Posted: 8/26/2009 9:52 AM PDT

Satyr
Well, you have brought up one of the possible reasons that he was freed. I believe his appeal might have shown that he was actually innocent and that Iran and Syria were responsible, but at the time it was politically more acceptable to blame Gaddaffi. I think that the motive was probably retaliation for the Iranian plane.

Posted: 8/26/2009 8:50 AM PDT
Should the Navy personnel that shot down the Iranian passanger jet which started the whole affair be prosecuted? (I am just running my mouth here, I have far too little knowledge of the situation...)

Posted: 8/26/2009 6:40 AM PDT

Satyr
What are the feelings of people about the freeing of al-Megrahi from a Scottish jail? Was it justified on compassionate grounds under the Scottish system? If there were ulterior motives involved what were they?