This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/29/2011 10:48 AM PDT
I love this comment. One of the things I have been working on doing, is treating writing a bit like exercise. I set aside time to exercise my brain just like I set aside time to exercise my body. I know that writing is about well writing. That means putting words to paper and to not think about what I am doing or edit what I am saying. I read Stephen King, "On Writing". Very good book. Thank you AsheNighte for this wonderful tip.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/23/2010 7:45 PM PDT
i think that we all deal with writer's block differently because we all have our own way of writing so if some one deals with writers blocks one way, but it doesn't work for you, it don't mean it doesn't work at all. and also, writers can have the same method of dealing with writer's block. for me, i get frustrated and i guess all i can do is to keep my mind of it so like do something else. for me, writer's blocks comes and it goes but i know that it was because of me because i took care of myself by taking a break from writing. if writing isn't fun for you, you need to stop and take a break then come back and hopefully it'll be more fun. it's important to not write for the money, but for the fun of it!

Posted: 10/10/2010 11:32 AM PDT
I had a block once, and I left my story for a few days and came back to it. If that didn't work, I would read some books for inspiration and then come back to it. It gives me fresh , new ideas.

Posted: 7/15/2010 6:41 AM PDT
I don't often get it but when I do I listen to particular playlists on my iPod and read Manga or books, even if I can't write any more story then I can always jot extra ideas and thoughts down as notes for later...

Posted: 7/9/2010 6:20 PM PDT
Every time I finish editing a chapter on my novel I end up with writer's block. Reading a book of the same genre usually helps me overcome it. By the time I hit the third chapter of the book I'm completely distracted from what I'm reading and flowing with ideas of my own. The more distracted I become from the book the more original the ideas are. I understand this sounds weird because some people would probably think you'd start copying ideas from what you're reading but if anything it has the opposite affect. At least in my case the ideas come back being as different as can be from what I was reading.

Posted: 5/9/2010 5:59 AM PDT
Ok. Thanks alot!

Posted: 5/5/2010 1:26 PM PDT
Try not thinking about it for a day. This usually works. It clears the mind to allow for fresh thoughts and ideas. Those names are in there, just don't force them out. They will come. :)

Posted: 4/25/2010 11:30 PM PDT
I am currently experiencing writer's block about character names. I just can't find the right names. I have the whole story planned out besides my little problem. Any ideas?

Posted: 2/28/2010 10:47 AM PST
ahhh I find writer's block to be like depression, you've gotta start with your body to fix your head. I was in the midst of reading Eat Pray Love and decided to do what good old Elizabeth Gilbert did- I started meditating every morning (well, if you can call this meditating- sitting upright with my back against the wall repeating to myself "do not slouch, do not slouch"), cooking a conglomeration of french food, and having my closest friends over to talk literature and drink wine. It felt like I was putting my work off, and I was, but the moment my body got tired of all the self indulgences and outings, I was ready to sit back and just write. Now the question is... is the writing any good? Haha

Posted: 2/7/2010 4:19 AM PST
I got a really severe bought of writer's block the other night. The usual thing I do is to go back and edit the story, but I'd already done this, so I decided to draw instead. Drawing or listening to music seriously nearly always works, but it didn't this time. So then I decided to focus on course work, but that didn't help either. The only thing that helped was looking through my Japanese language book. Weird. For my first story, I got stuck a number of times, but just wrote whatever I thought could possibly fit, then went back at the end and cut a ton out, then wrote a load of other stuff in it's place. It might seem like a waste of time, but it acted a trigger for a million other ideas. ^^

Posted: 1/18/2010 1:55 AM PST
I've recently picked up a project near its completion and read through it trying to give it a final edit before ending it and moving on to the next book in the series. I stumbled upon a scene in a chapter that I had written between my two main characters that justifies a main scene in a later chapter. Most of it was perfect and I left it alone, but the ending didn't flow. It was out of character and felt like I had just slapped something on to just finish the chapter within 5,000 words. Needless to say I scraped the ending to this scene and commenced to re-writing it without destroying the purpose of the scene in the first place. Try as I might I couldn't finish it. Then whilst I was doing the dishes very early one morning after talking to my favorite inanimate object for countless hours trying to figure out the ending that was driving me insane, I came across the simple solution. It might be a typical solution but it's in character for my "minions" as i like to call them and its not awkward at all. Sometimes you have to fall back on old typical stuff to get the job done I guess.

Posted: 11/8/2009 3:08 AM PST

NavarCrow
Where did Melissa disappear to? Usually when I get writers block, I just try to write something unimportant, or start some completely new story from scratch. Although this may be why I have yet to finish anything worth publishing. Sometimes there is an exercise that I use to get the "juices" flowing again. I will take a blank piece of paper and just starting writing random words until there is no space left on the page. It doesn't even matter whether it makes any sense. If I am trying to get focused on one story, I will use terms or terminologies. I will put the first word in the center of the page, then the second one in one of the corners and then another in a different or opposing corner until all of the corners are filled. Then I just start putting the words wherever I feel like writing them, until there is no room left on the page. Sometimes you can pick a word off of this page and write about how it fits into the story, then move onto another word, until you either have done every single word on the page or have actually been inspired or motivated to go back and write on the story itself. But movies and books work too!

Posted: 11/4/2009 10:43 AM PST
A computer's just a tool, like pen and paper, or a typewriter or pencil and paper, or crayons even.. Everyone's different. I love writing on the computer. What I'm saying right this moment is free flow writing. A computer allows me to write as fast as the thoughts come to me--most of the time, anyways. For me, to get writer's block out of the way, I just watch movies that inspire me--usually with good scripts and good or excellent dialogue. Reading is important, too! If you're a writer, you have to read! Writer's block comes because you've run out of things to say. So you have to take a break and figure out what you want to say next. That works for me.

Posted: 9/23/2009 4:24 PM PDT
Certainly easier said than done, especially if you're writing your work on any computer. It's hard to just free-flow on a computer. However, I've found if you do journal entries from a computer, and "write" to just write, you get in a good practice run when you're ready to write a story. I'm working on that right now; eventually, it will lead me to begin writing again. I've been out of practice for so long.

Posted: 9/21/2009 1:34 PM PDT
I just joined this place.....and loved your example. I am about to begin writing again for two hours a day (long story) and I pushed something that said...add friend? I don't know what that means but you have already been my friend...add yourself if you can or want to....and please wish me luck.

Posted: 9/10/2009 10:22 AM PDT
When i get writers block i meditate clear my mind of everything except my story.

Posted: 9/3/2009 4:23 PM PDT
I was writing my second novel in my home in Indiana, and it was flowing incredibly, the images coming to me in brilliant flashes like the greatest actions movies. It was time for me to spend some time with family in Kentucky, so I packed up the novel and planned on taking it there. Big mistake. I got to page 175, and blanked. Nothing came. Only during the next year, in the month of April, I do believe, did I finally sit down, read through it, and finish it. Long story short. Kentucky killed my creativity.

Posted: 8/22/2009 10:45 AM PDT
If I get writers block, I read what I've already done, and usually it just comes.

Posted: 8/21/2009 11:52 PM PDT
Well when, I get writers block it is right around when, I am about to end a relationship, and my block is over when a new relationship begins, that could be anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to a few months. When, I start a new relationship somehow, I begin to write a lot of great things, and I call that person my muse, and I let them know they are my muse too. When the relationship is on the rocks is when, I start to get blocked. A.B.

Posted: 8/20/2009 2:13 PM PDT
I'm a big fan of doing multiple stories at once, something my English teacher is less then grateful for. One of my new hobbies is a collection of articles that link together, describing a single event. I'll jot something down every so often in the margins of my notes in school, then rush back to my dorm in order to put it on the computer in some form. Usually, I find it easier to write in small chunks rather then chapters, so I often take weeks to finish a single draft of a story, especially for tension or violence-filled moments. I rarely get writer's block, but when I do I often play games or watch movies, looking for similar events to my own work to see how others move a story along. Other times I will write "filler", basically a chunk of dialogue or events that would seem unrealistic in an action sequence, that fleshes out the storyline and maybe informs the reader about the characters' own beliefs and ideas. Sometimes I even make references to things happening to me at the present, and I confess I've inserted myself into several stories as a background character simply to overcome a stoppage that I find my own intervention necessary to overcome.

Posted: 8/20/2009 1:27 PM PDT
I think that I can agree with the fact that you won't learn anything by simply getting around writer's block. But the only thing that doesn't make sense to me is why you would say that writing shouldn't be about having fun. If you aren't having fun with your writing then what do you do it for? Taking your writing seriously is one thing. Treating it like work is another. I mean, sure if we didn't need to improve, we would already be published, but improving is something that should only make your writing more fun to do. It's only simply making it easier to get the words out of your mind. And you should have more fun finally knowing how to put the words into the right form. I understand what you mean. Take the time to leard instead of running away from it. But sometimes you should never have to do something if it isn't about doing something you love to do. It's meaningless that way.

Posted: 8/18/2009 1:43 PM PDT
In seventh or eighth grade, I wrote the perfect intro chapter to a somewhat fantasy-horror genre book. It took me two years to write any more on the book, and then it just came to me even more. Then I wrote some crap to set up and everything and wrote another really amazing part, and now I'm stuck again...lol. I'm thinking it's not quite what I want to write about, though, so I started a different story in the meantime.

Posted: 8/16/2009 12:04 AM PDT
I think my major moments of block happen after I have written something I am very pleased with. The pressure to do it again tends to make it diffiicult to peck at the keys again and I will put it off. What I found works is to isolate that chapter, or what ever I ended on and take a pen and paper out and start the next bit fresh, away from the prized piece and it's pressure to perform.

Posted: 8/15/2009 2:47 PM PDT
Here's a good piece too chew on... How many of us has family members we can count on to give us an honest review? My wife doesn't read my stuff anymore.

Posted: 8/3/2009 2:07 AM PDT
I usually start writing a book then get stuck on a certain part and think this is stupid and finish it but then i have dreams and they get turned into stories on written paper!!! its fun watching my friends and family reading and getting to a certain part and watching them cry at a death or gasp at a cliffhanger!!!!!!!!

Posted: 8/2/2009 11:31 AM PDT
In one of my first stories, I hit a block - and I couldn't get around it. I just didn't want to write anymore. No words would come. I was upset about this for about a month. And then I just decided to move on. I started a new story, but always kept the old one in my mind. And what do you know? Four years later I'm re-writing it!

Posted: 8/2/2009 9:43 AM PDT
I think your right about the genre thing because I struggled for awhile. I wondered Who am I? What do I write? I finally said... I like monsters and I like horror. I will just write what I enjoy and fix it later. I don't think anyone writes in proper English the 1st time. I spent many years struggling to improve my grammar. Figured no one would read it without it but I could never write because I focused and let it steal my ambition. I know write freely the first couple time then wait a week or two and go back to it. I will reedit the text and rewrite it then leave it alone. I couple weeks later I will again go back to it. I find this truely the best way to write.

Posted: 8/1/2009 1:39 AM PDT
I know how you feel! I love writing and it really flows but as soon as I start thinking about it in terms of doing it seriously it stresses me out and then I think about having to write a follow on book if I do get published and I get writer's block just thinking about having to think about another story! lol, I over think things a bit I think! lol. I did have one story that I was writing and I hit a wall and I have left it and started another one, which is flowing much better. Sometimes it's the genre you choose I think, as amateurs we need to dabble in different styles and sometimes the writers block means you're not writing in the right style for you.

Posted: 7/31/2009 12:46 PM PDT
In June of last year I wrote a 10,000 word essay. This essay was to become the beginning of my first novel. I found my dream job and I kept writing. That was until January when the stress of the job became outrageous. Stress took away all my desire to anything. I couldn't even paint. It wasn't until I got fired in June that I could relax. It is now the end of July and I am writing like crazy. I am so happy. I am afraid that if I find another job I'm going to lose it again...

Posted: 7/25/2009 11:19 AM PDT
That was to the third post on the page.

Posted: 7/25/2009 11:18 AM PDT
I disagree with your example. The second one might pose a quicker entry and a continuation in the story, but the first one makes it seem to exaggerate the cautiousness of the situation. It brings suspense into those few sentences.

Posted: 7/9/2009 7:48 AM PDT
Well my last major stint of block lasted about a year and a half, finally ending in June of last year. I'm not saying that I haven't had any block since then, but it was the longest one I've had in quite some time. It was literally broken by, well, death. A buddy of mine died and it got me out of the muck, it sucks that he had to die for it to happen and I'm sad that he never got to read any part of it, but I'm great-ful to him for, even in death, being a muse.... now if only I could get a hold of it again.

Posted: 7/1/2009 2:19 PM PDT
JULNOWRIMO! It starts today!! Get people writing!!! :) http://julnowrimo.com/ 50,000 words or bust! Use it to connect with writers and to amp up your fingers on those keys!!!! ~Q.

Posted: 6/24/2009 9:14 PM PDT
Well, to get over the writers block I tend to write anything down then go back and correct what I've written, this helps me but I will say this that it takes courage to just put down anything on paper or pc. My moto just do it and you will be suprised what type of story line starts to evolve it my first sound like jibberish but once you correct things something is there. Dorothy Lee pen Chaez

Posted: 6/20/2009 4:16 PM PDT
Thanks for writing on w/block it is hard to overcome sometimes. When it comes by me I have to take a long break and then I ahve been lucky to start back up again.. Thanks for posting your comment.. Bless you, Jan

Posted: 6/18/2009 8:05 PM PDT
when i have gotten writers block, i have always relied on the fact that walking away and doing some form or kind of exercise even if it is going to the store or anything like that does wonders to keep the mind from focusing on what it is you want to write and allows your mind to go to the thoughts that you should be writing. One of the others things that i do is to always remind myself that in writing it is quality not quantity that truly matters. Side note i just joined and so far i am loving it and i look forward to being able to post some of my work on here and getting all of you feedback and criticism that i have not been able to find anywhere else. thank you.

Posted: 5/22/2009 8:38 PM PDT
I've spent over five years on the novels I currently have posted. Well, actually, about four years on the first and a year or so since then on the second. As I'm sure you can tell, I've been blocked up many a time. I am a book person - if I can't find the answer, I look it up. So, I looked up books on how to write. The books gave me advice on everything from how to create character's personalities to how to describe a setting. I still have my own style, but the books helped me to get the motor going at least. I wish I remembered the names of the books so that I could suggest them, but sadly, that was years ago. I've found that, if I ever get stuck on a certain part of the story, I can move onto another part. For instance, if I know what the ending will be, but I don't know how to get there, I'll write the ending and then work my way backwards. Sometimes you don't know where your characters are going until they get there. Don't think about the block - think around the block. ;) That's my philosophy.

Posted: 4/27/2009 5:01 PM PDT
The last time I had writers block the world seemed against me. no matter how hard I tried it wouldn't go away!! Then (and don't laugh) I watched a boring movie and tried to add in my own idea of how it should have gone, and eventually I just broke my bonds. All you need when you have writer's block is a little imagination flow, and trying to make a boring movie fun was just the trick :) So the next time writer's block hits get out and do something creative!

Posted: 4/26/2009 10:25 AM PDT
Lately, I've known what I want and needed to do with the stories I've been writing but I get stuck close to the end of them. I don't want to repeat myself or put down the wrong words. What can I do to get what I need?

Posted: 4/16/2009 1:22 AM PDT
Hey Melissa, I should like to know what I am allowed to discuss in here, is it considered spam to talk about ones work/book and am I allowed to ask advice regarding problems and who on line has experience with publishing problems? Rayw1711

Posted: 3/19/2009 11:00 AM PST
I've only had full-blown writer's block a couple of times, and infrequently. I usually have writer's block on just a single story. For instance, one of the books I've been working on for about a year now is only on Chapter 14. Also, I have around 50 books currently in the works, but only three or four of them I can really work on because I'm not completely stuck on them. Also, I'm almost constantly coming up with new ideas. However, I've only had writer's block at least twice for songwriting. I almost never have a problem writing a song. But the writer's block I do tend to get lasts for months on end. I'm currently suffering through it, actually, though an idea popped into my head the other day, and it was the first I've had for over three months. Really, the lack of creative thought from me is a result of the lack of inspiration.

Posted: 3/4/2009 8:45 PM PST
I have too many to list here, in ways I over came it. The main thing I realized was to focus on my health and my habits. I realized I was not getting enough sleep and my eating was not good not only this but I was sedentary too long when at the computer, which actually wore me out and made my muscles stiff. so i started exercising a little bit before writing or working on the net or I took a nice walk even if it was a little bit cold, but not too cold I didn't want to get sick. Everytime I have gotten writers block I get Round on it, catch what I am saying here for a moment, I roll with whatever my mind can grasp onto, I will read a book, or draw, or paint, or watch a movie that is inspiring to me, I will listen to soundtracks or burned cds or my mp3 player, I will watch funny videos I have or youtube. I will go to Lastfm and listen to the random music of my favorite musicians and ones I have never heard of. I will chat with a friend, I will talk to family or neighbors, I will take a long hot shower and relax, maybe take a nap if I have time. Sometimes it take a whole day to prepare myself to sit at the computer and write, and its ok to do that to, just wake up with a plan, get all your household duties done than at whatever time youi are to write, you get good and comfortable, make sure your not fatigued, and make sure you have something to drink, and write. Than again, you have heard that before, just write, ok, here's an idea, how about you don't write, yeah, that's right, don't write, instead, fill your mind with all sorts of things, facts, stories from other writers, poetry, magazines and articles. music, pictures, art, fill your mind with even useless junk, at some point, and i know this will happen, after a while, maybe even a weeks worth or a months worth, you will finally get an idea, or many ideas, and you won't be able to type fast enough at the crazy plots and characters you come up with. If I am too energized to write I exercise or dance or take a walk. Or you can try this, get a thesaurus, now, get some lined rulled paper, pick random words and list one word per line, now get some cissors, cut them out and fold them up, put them in a hat or bowl, mix them up, now, go away, that's right, let the words affect your mind for a half an hour, now come back, and choose four words at random, now your job is, to write something, anything, mindless dribble even using those four words. its fun to see what kind of poem you can come with when using this method. also you can make a list of things you want to write about at sometime and when you need an idea, go to your list. When writing a novel, I find it best to write chapters as they come to you, they may even be chapters you will never use, but the point is to write them the inspiration to write something is there. Mix genres that is always fun to try. Mix your characters from new story ideas with old story ideas. Write about your characters childhood, or a mometn in childhood if they are adult characters. Write your characters obituary, that can be motivating in a strange way. Write the ending of your story or novel chapter. If you get stuck in the middle write from the end. If the middle part is lagging, consider cutting it out and go from there. Take old poems and print them out, cut them up into sections, repaste them on a blank paper using differant peices from differant poems. Take titles from your personal library and write a poem using a book title in every line. Write a poem utilizing the alphabet, 26 lines, all beginning with the next letter Try a form poem. Try writing a scene that is not working from a not so important characters point of veiw in the story. I got so many, I couldn't possibley list them all here, I even thought of writing a book on 101 ways to beat writers block, lol yeah right, lol hope that helped, atleast a little bit

Posted: 1/22/2009 11:02 PM PST
Hi, I was wondering if you found any sort of solution for a writter's block in which you've found that you've been stuck in a history and many ideas come to your head but you don't know which to follow, so you're basically standing by because of confusion? If you have I'd really apreciate the help, Thank You!! Also I'm glad that you overcame yours. It's good to hear.

Posted: 1/15/2009 1:19 AM PST

Satyr
When young at school and university I found pressure from deadlines a great motivator for both academic and creative work. When working in really boring situations I found that rather than write out reports or research a case I would start writing. Later I found I only wrote when unhappy, usually in love. When you are having a great time socially and are involved either with several members of the opposite sex or completely enraptured by just one you are too busy and tired out to bother with writing. When a family and career dominate your life, for me at least, writing ended. Now I find that I don't need inspiration as much as time and energy. I have, at last, acquired enough experience to be able to make my stories about 80 or 90% real, if not always autobiographical. I am glad that I collected characters and situations, just wish my memory was better:). Poetry is a different matter, for that you need the muse to visit you, and the spur of sadness.

Posted: 1/5/2009 7:29 AM PST
I have had writers block for about four months. That is a LONG time to have writers block. I tried alot of things. I spent hours researching different ways to overcome writers block. The thing is, the all said the same thing 'Just WRITE!' and it is true that I have given the same advice when I was happily able to write without a care. You see, writers block is different for everyone. I didn't have idea problems, I had roaming mind prblems. I would thing of a great idea to incorporat into a story but then...that would be it. no plot, no characters...just ideas that were floating without a story to call home. And I had another problem. I had an intense DREAD of sitting down to write. Mainly the keyboard. I spent so much time sitting and staring at the monitor as I had written before, that now I didn' want anywhere near it. i even tried to write on paper with a pen, old school, but my ideas were too jumbled and I was irritated at how my paper looked as I scratched out things as I wrote. So I stopped trying to write at all. Believe me, I thought about it every day. So I went back to where my inspiration came from, books. I picked up books on not 'how to overcome writers block' but on plot creation, character development and researched some of my favorite authors latests works. I was still frustrated, haunted by my inability and still I came up with more storyless ideas, even decided my laptop was cursing me so I should buy a new one (superstitious arnt I ? ) but it all came back to webook. I was looking, not in the 911 section, but in the resource section for writing software and other helpful stuff. I found a software, Q10 that is simple and uncomplex and completely rediculous. It blacks out the screen when you write. No options, nothing, a black screen and funny colored text. It makes typewritter noise as you type and the part I love the best is tha it times you. But all this stuff is a bonus. Because all I needed was to cut out all the distraction. If you havn't written anything on it, it is just a black screen iwth a little blinking cursor. I figured out how to set the timer for fifteen minutes nad promised myself some hot cocoa when the pain was over. 15 minutes later I had written 509 words. I knew I was back when the timer said " STOP!" and my thought was 'Awe...but i was just getting to the good part!" So am I saying that this program is the reason that I lost my writers block? No, it could have been the four months I waited and how I was just dying to write. but the software...I am going to use it alot now. I have decided I like it. And it is free so I am going to put it on all my computers. Comes with spell check, blah blah. It is freeware, so you can't go wrong with it. Well. That is my sucess story. I fully intend to return to my original and favorite piece 'Losing Direction' which I plan to finish in the next 6 mnths, but for now, I have begun 'The Storyteller's Sun' (Sun, not Son :) ) It just...came out of me and the characters have really run away from me...I wonder what they are doing right now...have to go make some hot cocoa now! Time to get back to where the plot really starts to get thick! :) Thanks for listening!! Oh, nother great thing...four months is a long time. I was going so crazy I started sketching. Random, right? I also started sewing and making clothing..nothing actually finished but a quick blanket. To the point. I sketched a new cover for Losing Direction. Looks AMAZING! Can't believe that I did it! But it will be revealed when the book is done. I am goign to put a couple more preview chapters on webook before I publish, because webook is my favorite writers site! And I want you guys to have the inside scoop! And that is when I will upload it. Super excited!!! Good luck to everyone else with thier writer's block! Don't give up!!!! (can you tell by how much I have written? !!! Finally!)

Posted: 12/31/2008 10:44 PM PST
Yeah writer's block is a killer. I usually have problems trying to figure out the exact details of the environment that I want my characters to be in at first, wither it be a lust green forest or a loud noisy city that's over crowed with people. So what i usually do is either just set it to the side [bad bad bad thing for me because I have a tendency to forget about it], listen to some music wither it be heavy or mellow rock doesn't matter, or play some video games. The video games really helped me the most though because then it gives me that necessary push i need to think about something, like characters, the environment, or the world that be in. The already thought up ideas inspire you to make your own original ideas that help fight that evil evil evil thing we call writers block, oh well for me at least. When i post more you might see the that my stories have a tendency to feel like you're playing a video game and you're the lead character. I wish I knew how I did it too. >.<

Posted: 12/20/2008 11:11 AM PST
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=92B3E146AB7D132F The information I share in this youtube video series has helped me not get stuck in my stories. I used to get stuck a lot before I learned and understood story structure the way I do now. If the videos help you leave a comment and rate, thanks. If you believe this is spamming let me know. However, I would think spamming useful information is a good thing right?

Posted: 12/19/2008 2:28 PM PST
Well, I've always found talking a good walk is helpful.

Posted: 12/12/2008 7:28 AM PST
I remember when I first started writing my novel "The Key to Andorra" I got stuck and I started talking about it to my family. They threw in ideas and especially my brother and then there it was the flash of light and insight. He said something that was perfect and it opened my eyes. I found that, for me at least, the only thing that works is having other people comment and give me ideas. One small comment can suddenly make the difference and I can start writing again. For me other people are essential.

Posted: 12/10/2008 7:09 PM PST
I'm curious to read the story, do you have it posted?

Posted: 11/30/2008 2:58 PM PST
I over analyze which makes me over write or not write at all. If I will stop and read a good novel from someone I enjoy, it truly inspires me to get going again.

Posted: 11/25/2008 5:26 PM PST
I used to churn out effortless poetry, I would just pick up a pen and minutes later there would be this poem that people would astound over because it took me mere minutes to perfect! I blocked for almost 2 years after life got pretty traumatic for awhile. The block not only made it impossible for me to string a read-worthy scentence together but without the ability to write I became an emotional vegitable, writting is my vent normally and acts as my phychiatrist in a way. Im not sure what broke the block but one day I was sitting in a ornamental tea garden near home just peacfully passing the time in silence when I shut my eyes and listened to my surroundings, to the sparrows singing somewhere nearby, the babbling of the little stream in the gardens that ran over rocks...well you get the idea. As soon as I opened my eyes I pulled my phone out of my bag and wrote a poem in a text message. I had no paper so it was the best I could do. Ever since then I can write a good poem, still not as efficiently as before but I can write, which Im thankfull for....now I just have to break this one Im in right now with my novel :)

Posted: 11/24/2008 6:29 AM PST
For an entire year I was plagued with Writer's Block. I'm incredibly unhappy when I'm not writing so despite my best efforts I was stuck in a rut for a year. I decided to move away from the city for a while, instead living in Norfolk where the scenery and brisk Wordsworthian walks have helped me to overcome. Now I'm pumping out poetry on a regualr basis and am halfway through a screenplay. Good Times.

Posted: 11/20/2008 11:43 AM PST
Well, I must say I often have a Writers Block. But it never stopped me from writing. Generally, a writers block means you are stuck somewhere. You don't know how to continue or even how to start. Generally, I find I have a far better picture of something else, maybe something that is further away in the story. My secret is just to start writing the part I know. Words will come flowing in and after a while, that first Writers Block is gone and you have found a way of expressing the things you wanted to say. Chances are you have to rewrite everything you first wrote about that part later in the story, but I find it worth my while.

Posted: 11/15/2008 2:13 PM PST

pattimari
I was revising my novel so many times and re-reading it as often and got writer's block. It lasted for over a week so I called a friend over and we read the first chapter and discussed the characters for a couple hours. By the time she left, I was excited and feeling my characters again and began writing. In fact, I dreamed about my characters after that and it was as if they were directing me in the dream. Pattimari

Posted: 11/4/2008 4:41 PM PST
When I get writer's block of course first I have my period of furstration. The one way I seem to over come it is to get a notepad and just start wrting down anything. Anyth thoughts that come to my mind and if even one thought is usuable it may become my next ideal for a story. If not, I get my Ipod, put it on shuffle and just listen thorugh some songs. Something inspires me eventually.

Posted: 10/29/2008 2:00 PM PST
What I usually do about writers block is when it gets really bad I will stay up until about 1:00 AM and then write down whatever comes to mind. And then when I feel that I just can't continue because I'm too sleepy i'll stop. And then the next time I look at it i'll think "Wow, how did I do so much?" And it'll get me ready to give it another shot! :D X

Posted: 10/26/2008 11:23 PM PST
I mean draft (how embarrassing)!

Posted: 10/26/2008 11:20 PM PST
That's why sometimes I like to write stream-of-consciousness narrative. It frees me from the ever-present perfectionist that is always sitting on my right shoulder. It helps to remind me of the rightful place and purpose of revision, one of which is not to be critical at the stage of the first draught.

Posted: 10/22/2008 2:39 PM PDT
Our editor is very hard to turn off. If we would just write to write and stop worrying about whether or not it's great. We'd be in flow much more often.

Posted: 10/20/2008 9:16 PM PDT
For me, writers block is when I wont allow myself to be in harmony with everything around me. Whatever is showing up in my life, there is poetry in it or there is a story. I use music to get inspired or watch an emotional movie. I am fortunate that I see inspiration in everything and everything is inspiration. Getting it into print as it moves through my head is another challenge because the inspiration is fleeting and if I don't grasp it when it there, it goes away as the next inspiration is taking its place. I know this sounds sappy and corney, but I am corney and sappy.... I love life!

Posted: 10/20/2008 12:34 PM PDT
You know, I was thinking along the lines of what Lady_A had said. My writers block seems to always be lurking somewhere in the recesses of my mind, ever threatening to break out. My last writers block lasted from March up until a couple of days ago but before that I had it for a year. I noticed after that year and somehow grasping onto those ever so elusive plot bunnies again that my quality of writing had deteriorated. Haha, that wasn't pleasant, writing a load of mince when you know you could be doing better. I never really have any idea how to 'overcome' writers block; it just sort of happens for me. No idea how to explain it.

Posted: 10/19/2008 1:55 PM PDT
I don't feel like I ever get over my writer's block. They just eventually go away by themselves, but it's never MY success. I must also say I disagree with what most people said so far. About simply giving up what was giving you trouble. I confess that this is the method I followed for the last story I finished, and I can say it helped in the sense that I only exceptionally ever manage to finish my stories, and I also probably had more fun writing that one than I'd ever had writing anything else before. Now that doesn't make the method right. I don't think writing is either about finishing stories or having fun; I mean sure, it's already something, and it's right if you're writing for your drawers... but it doesn't make the world go round. It's not getting you anywhere much. I know the story I wrote in that way is plain BAD, 'cause stuff is missing, stuff I was too lazy and superficial to make any effort to write... I don't think your job as a writer is to get to the point. Leave that to soccer players (L'Olympique de Marseille, Droit au But). If you don't know how to write something, or what to write at all, it doesn't mean that it doesn't need to be written... it just means you're not capable to write it, or not capable to think up what you must write. And after all there's no shame or pity about that. If you were capable of writing anything, you wouldn't be wasting time on WEbook, hell! Of course writing shouldn't hurt and bother and feel bad. But the solution is not to run away from the pain... it's to learn until the pain doesn't even exist any more! Suppose you wanted to start dancing, and when you realize that doing splits hurt, you said: oh, it's too difficult, I'll dance without doing splits! Well, no, I'm sorry. You'll never dance for real. But it's not like doing splits is something that hurts in itself, no matter what, etc.... It only hurts when you can't do it. But once you can it doesn't hurt any more. And then you can dance, too. And that's when dancing is actually the most fun. Same with writing.

Posted: 10/13/2008 12:57 PM PDT
That's the thing-- I didn't. That was an estimate, but it could've happened in chapter 60 for all I know! lol. Thanks!! I hope that everyone has fun with their writing and doesn't try to force it, because it always comes out really bad when you do that.

Posted: 10/13/2008 8:41 AM PDT
Misty_Karen, I'm really curious -- if you didn't know what to put in chapters 1-14, how did you know there were 14 chapters before what happened in chapter 15? I'm glad you broke your block and you're back to having fun writing!

Posted: 10/12/2008 5:23 PM PDT
Recently, I got a really annoying writing block. It lasted a couple of weeks, which is not something you want. I wrote the overview and knew exactly what I was going to write 15 chapters from now, but had no clue of where to go with the introduction and chapters 1-14. I sat down and watched some TV, and analized every little detail to try and figure out what I was doing wrong and what they did right. I also analized some of the books I was reading. Eventually, I figured it out. I was trying too hard and wasn't having any fun with my writing. I deleted my overview and little bit of my intro that I had and re-did the whole story plot. Now, my writers block is gone and I'm having SOO much fun writing my story~!! And on top of it all, my wording is getting much better and the new plot is much more interesting.

Posted: 10/12/2008 11:53 AM PDT
One of my stories was held up for ages, because I didn't know where I was going in between what I'd already written and the end--which I've always had in my mind. Even re-reading the story did no good, and I was losing my mind. Eventually I just decided that if it wasn't going to hit me over the head, I was going to chase it down myself and drag it back. So I just wrote for the story--it didn't matter if it was good, or truly heinous; I just wrote. And when I read over it after I'd finished I was surprised to find that it wasn't actually that bad, and what I'd thought was a wall was really just a small fence. I still haven't finished that story, but I haven't been truly stuck on it ever since.

Posted: 9/23/2008 8:03 AM PDT
I love it! I often advise writers to leave out the "stage directions" in their narration. You don't need to write: "There was a knock on the door. She took a deep breath, set down her coffee, got up from the table, walked across the room, and squinted through the peep-hole into the dark hallway. "Hello?" she said cautiously." Instead, you can distill the action down to the crucial moments: "There was a knock on the door. She took a deep breath and set down her coffee. "Hello?" she said cautiously, squinting through the peep-hole into the dark hallway." In the second version, the character jumps directly from the table to the peep-hole. I don't have to tell the reader that she stood up and walked across the room -- their imaginations will fill this in. Your success story sounds like the same kind of thing, on a larger scale. You realized you could do without an entire chapter that would only have gotten you from crucial moment A to crucial moment B. It's way more fun for the reader to skip over the filler. As an added bonus, you used the word "whilst" in a forum post.

Posted: 9/23/2008 5:12 AM PDT
I hit a mental block whilst trying to write a chapter to come after one in which everything happened perfectly and before one which wasn't written but was planned perfectly in my head. The problem was that the middle chapter just would not write itself out. In my mind it needed to be there to connect two events in the story but it was only a pathetically vague cloud of nothingness that existed. I tried to get it down in words for weeks but just couldn't. My success came upon the sudden and bluntly obvious realisation that I didn't need the connecting chapter at all. Even if I did somehow manage to write it, it would have been boring, irritating and held up the storyline. The relief I felt upon finding out I didn't have to write the offending, invisible chapter was heavenly.

Posted: 9/22/2008 7:10 AM PDT
So we've all experienced days (or weeks, or months, or years) when the muse doesn't answer our phone calls. But who here has successfully overcome writer's block? (Even if you got blocked again later.) Tell us about it! How long did the block last, and how did you beat it? What did you learn about writing, creativity, and yourself?