This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/27/2009 7:58 PM PDT
I have the same proublem. I don't want to keep writign because i feelim going to mess up the story. I am writing a story called Saving Eden and I want to get it published. I feel like the more I write this story, the more random it gets. The story started off about a girl who has special healing powers who runs away from her secluded life with her father to try to help make the world a better place. And it got some good feedback on the original but I didn’t like the ending so I was going to make a new ending. Now, why are they in Tokyo living in an underground city with a book that list future events looking for a reporter named Kathy? The thing is, I originally had a different ending for this story which is in the project “2201” version of this story (which is also on webook) but I realized that they needed to meet The Amenders which is what I decided was suppose to happen in Tokeyo, but now I realize I don’t know what I want to happen after they meet the Amenders so maybe I should keep it at my old ending. And maybe I should have thought of an ending before I started writing it. (well, I did, but then I decided I didn’t like it) But I don’t know my new ending yet, and my writing is getting really sloppy because im not motivated to write it anymore. But i wrote over 50,000 words its the longest thing i've ever written. So now I’m thinking of using the old ending. What do you guys think? I want someone to read (or scan over to try to pick up the plot) my story and tellme their oppenion about the ending. (or lack of ending…) I wanted to get this published, but I can’t without an end. So dose anyone like where this is going, or are you cringing and thinking why did they fly to Tokyo and are living in an underground city and I really need to stop. I would love feedback on this (so far) ending vrs. the old one. If you like the old ending, I need a way I could make the old ending more… complete. I feel like it leaves something missing from the story. Mainly, the fact that she never met The Amenders which i was going to make happen in the new ending. Thanks much. I hope you figure out what to do with your character.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/27/2009 3:01 PM PDT
I have sooooooooooooo many stories(all unfinished but working on it) that it happens all the time. I tend to go on with the story and say screw it if it messes up. I can always go back to it and rework it. If I like my character, I continue. I end up liking the new "messed up" version of my character. So, my advice to you is to go on with Miranda's story. If you don't like it, go back. You won't know whether you will like it if you don't try. Hope I helped.

Posted: 2/26/2009 12:11 AM PST
I guess you must let Miranda do things she WOULD if she is a real one. Controlling a character in a story makes her fake, unbelievable. If you're afraid of ruining a character, don't and besides things like this happens in reality. ^ ^

Posted: 2/19/2009 7:58 AM PST
I read your post and this quote came to mind...."The creative process is a process of surrender, not control." Julia Cameron Hope it helps!

Posted: 2/14/2009 10:09 AM PST
Kate, I really want to know more about Miranda. I know that you might be afraid that she might eventually go off in a direction that you disagree with, but I think you have the beginning of a very solid character. If she winds up doing things you disapprove of, you have to remember that she is her own person (kinda' like having kids, you can't choose their futures and make their decisions for them forever.) I want to know if she decides to follow her dreams again. I want to know if she figures out some way of balancing her family responsibilities with riding in the rodeo circuit. I want to know if she just jumps ship and leaves her family in a lurch. I want to know if she abandons her dreams, goes into a deep depression, and drinks herself to death. It's scary when characters start doing their own things. But it's also far more exciting than if they follow the path you might have mapped out for them in your head. Trust yourself, trust Miranda, and let things happen. The worst thing she can do is disappoint you, but even then she'll likely surprise you. It won't be the end of the world.

Posted: 2/6/2009 10:09 AM PST
This dosent really happen with me..I find I create a chatacter and really like him/her but then they take on a life of their own and end up being miles away from where I started with them!! Why not let your character have "Her Say" and see where she ends up?You can always go back if you dont like it and maybe you´ll like her better!

Posted: 2/3/2009 4:55 PM PST
I've created a character that I'm really intrigued with, but I'm nervous that continuing her story will ruin her in a way. Has anyone ever felt that way? That you've reached a point where you just don't want to risk messing it up!? Help! Share your own experiences and if you're feeling really generous, take a look at Miranda and tell me what you think! The link can be found below. http://www.webook.com/project/Perfectly-Familiar-Strangers