This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/24/2008 6:45 PM PDT
I love reading historical fiction. I have an idea for a great story but in order to make it realistic I will need to do tons of research as to dates, places, characters, etc. While I have access to a wonderful library and, of course, the WEB, I don't have time to do all this. I'm frustrated because I feel my fictional historical novel would be a success. Can you hire someone to do your research for you while you do mundane things like take care of your kids, work part time, laundry, dishes, pay bills, be a wife? Wow! How did Jean Auel do it? My fictional heroine writer ("Clan of the Cave Bear" et al)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/22/2008 7:07 AM PDT
It can take a while to get from an idea or a topic to a STORY. Don't be afraid to go slowly. Carry a notebook with you everywhere, and jot down ideas whenever they come. Also, play around with writing some scenes or dialogues between a few of your characters. Think of this as exploration or rehearsal. Don't expect this writing to end up in the book -- you're just getting to know your characters and their situation. Little by little, a story will emerge. But even once you have that "A-ha!" moment, when you know what it's all about, don't get too attached to what you THINK is going to happen. At least in a first draft, be flexible enough to change directions if you hit upon a great new idea while you're in the middle of writing. Otherwise, you'll be back in these forums in a month or two, saying, "I know what happens next, I have it all planned out in my head, but I can't seem to make the words come." If the words don't come, maybe you're wrong about what should happen next... Good luck!

Posted: 9/20/2008 11:55 PM PDT
I am currently working on a book like that. It is on the mythical side, it involves vampires and all kinds of other creatures. I am moving right along with it. Ideas are flowing. I started it as a spur of the moment idea. And I have been letting the story happen as it happens. If you know you want romance, be around romance. Get ideas. Think of things you like and don't like. Then, start writing. Think of a central character, and write out his or her life.

Posted: 9/10/2008 3:29 PM PDT
I never thought of that. That's a pritty good idea. I'll try that method. I think I found a topic, but no actual story. Maybe your method will help. Thankz -Brunette08-

Posted: 9/10/2008 3:25 PM PDT
Tahnkz! That actually did help. I sat down and stared at a blank page and started writing down random stuff. I found a topic that might be a goos idea. Hm, I guess high school actually WAS good for something. lol. -Brunette08-

Posted: 9/10/2008 1:44 PM PDT
My tactic was the start small-- try to write a short story with a clear arc to the plot, in about five or ten pages. Once you have a good plotline and characters that you love, you can always expand it and flesh it out to a longer length. This is also a good way to start because then if you aren't crazy about your characters and story, you still have a finished product and it isn't so hard to try something new the next time-- you won't be bummed out about stopping something you've been working on for a while. My novel, which I just finished writing, started out in just this way-- I intended it to be a 10 page short story, but once I got into it, I realized I could run with it, and it ended up being 220 pages.

Posted: 9/10/2008 5:25 AM PDT
Go with what you know- what are you more comfortable and confident writing, realistic or non-realistic? How much do you know about what you want to write? Do you think you should do a little research before you start? If you go non-realistic, you have to decide which route- Fantasy with dragons and pixies and magic, paranormal with vampires, werewolves and demons, or science fiction with aliens and mutants. Or some rabid crossover between the three. Since it is a romance story you're wanting to write, think about who the romantic couple is and under what circumstances they meet and build your exposition around that. Maybe they meet in a bar- that would be a good start for building a realistic story. Maybe they meet on Mars under enemy fire- there's non-realistic. If you can decide on one thing, then you can build from there. If you think back to your English classes in school, some of those stupid exercises might come in handy. Sit down with a blank piece of paper and write whatever comes to mind- words, names, phrases, places, some word that's not even in the dictionary because you made it up... Now look at it and see if you can work on one or more of those things in relation to the story you want to write.

Posted: 9/9/2008 10:27 PM PDT
maybe you could try something non-realistic, like with unicorns or mythical creatures?

Posted: 9/9/2008 10:24 PM PDT
Okl so I've started writing books before, none of which were any good. I want to start fresh. I know I want to try a romance novel, but I have absolutely no idea where to start. I dont know if I want realistic fiction or nonrealistic fiction, that sort of thing. I'm new to this website looking for some help.