This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Start laughing!
Posted: 3/8/2011 2:08 PM PST
i think a lot of satire isn't funny its fucked up, but there is a certain element the reading terrible things does for people. for example, satire is a good way of getting readers to think about and decide for themselves if the subject is good or bad by hearing out a cynical view. its also a good way for crazy people to get there twisted thoughts and feelings out in a positive manner. Its a good way for writers to bring bad news and ugly truth to a readers attention. maybe the question you should be asking is. when your reading or writing satire does it make you think about a subject in a different way?
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/4/2009 9:21 PM PDT
i wrote a random that's supposed to be funny...is it? can any1 just giv me some feed back and don't hold back http://www.webook.com/project/a-tail-of-some-sort

Posted: 7/25/2009 5:55 PM PDT
what of thecomedians that changed what society deemed acceptable? I am not claimimg that they lead the charge but in the last forty years there is no denying that black or gay or handicapped humour has presented difficult issues in a way that was palatable to a wide audience. they are part of a long traditioned where an oppressed group has used humour as a weapon. they were also often offensive when judged by the norm (when they started)

Posted: 7/21/2009 4:43 PM PDT
Every culture will determine for ITSELF what is acceptable and not acceptable. We have to cultures alive in America,,,,,, The Political and the other is the main stream america like where people get food stamps and still work 40 -50 hrs a week with three children as a single parent. If this culture is irreverent it is only because the previous culture or generation was irreverent. What we see.................................. is a product of what once was (if i can say it like that). If u ask anyone in 1/16 of their right mind if u thought MJ was or acted strange based on what we saw............................... It was A HUMAN mind that said WAIT, thats sum crazie shit, it was not sum media think tank, it was a human with a mind, who is doing sum form of thinking. People determine culture. The decisions we make are a reflection of the people in the culture. SAID culture will speak until the people of that culture decide that what they deem funny is no longer funny.

Posted: 7/16/2009 7:13 PM PDT

TsungChi
Good point. I think it's a combination: at times consumers drive what's funny simply by what they watch......Still, there are certain styles/content that stand the test of time. I mean, who watches the Cosby Show and doesn't think it's funny? Okay, maybe a lot of people?

Posted: 7/16/2009 4:02 PM PDT
I think those kind of jokes are tasteless. Often, when people try to push the boundaries, they're coming off as pretentious. I mean, what's wrong with the classics? Abbot and Costello never get old. It just depends on people's taste. Some people have different senses of humor. I know someone who enjoys stupid jokes about Jews. But I don't think they're very funny. But a limit comes when your audience is left thinking: WTF?

Posted: 7/14/2009 3:48 PM PDT
It seems that every generation finds a way to extend the boundaries of humour but is there a limit? A hundred years ago Jacko's nose would not have been the subject of jokes but stereotyping coloured people was acceptable. HIV babies? Getting penii stuck in zips? Clubbing baby seals? Who decides what goes?