This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 2/15/2011 8:59 AM PST
A lot times when i don't feel like writing it is a false feeling. Once I start writing I actual enjoy it more.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 11/11/2010 10:37 AM PST
I know this discussion happened quite a while ago and you may not be battling with this any longer but just in case... I think if we only wrote when we felt like it, we would never finish anything. I think writing is as much a discipline as it is an art and there will be days when we will have to write through the agony of feeling uninspired. I think eventually, the constant writing (without editing ourselves or critiquing ourselves) will develop a working ethic that creates good work despite how we feel. The words are tools and when we learn to write well I believe we will discover that we will be able to write with our "eyes closed" because the words flow so naturally. I'm not there yet... I'm struggling through this thing as well but I am pushing myself because I know that in order for my writing to grow I have to write all the time - no matter how I feel. That's just my opinion.

Posted: 7/19/2010 12:05 AM PDT
I remember reading somewhere that they recommended you write 1,000 words a day, whether you feel like it or not. It's supposed to keep your mind active, familiar with the characters you are writing about and is a good way of motivating yourself. Personally, I've tried to do this but didn't succeed. Sure, this would be fine if we didn't have families, a full time job and other interests but most of us do. Sometimes I'm in a creative mood and feel the urge to write. If I'm not then I normally leave it for a day or two and try again. I wouldn't leave it too long though inbetween breaks. Sometimes its good to go for a walk or take a hot bath to help reflect over your writing and motivate yourself.

Posted: 7/15/2010 6:13 AM PDT
I wouldn't advise it, forced writing tends to be really bad work. but keep a notebook and a pen(cil) with you at all times, for those moments of inspriation (you wont remember them), just write when and where you feel like it, your work is better that way.

Posted: 6/14/2010 6:36 AM PDT
This is something that works for me... Whenever I struggle with what I have written (too stupid, not good, full of mistakes, don't know what comes next, etc), I read. Although not a stric routine I keep committed to finish a book and read other things as well (magazines, newspapers, online material, other books, dictionaries, etc). Hope this helps.

Posted: 6/13/2010 4:17 PM PDT
I would suggest a writing schedule though not a strict one. Like lest say you decide to write at least a page a day. The page keeps your brain focused and driven so you don't slack off, yet gives you a stopping point if you just can't get into writing at the moment. The at least part gives you the opportunity to write more when your in the 'mood to write." Really it is important to write a little everyday to keep your ideas flowing and stop them from just draining away. Some tricks that might help get you to write Read over the last page or two you wrote before you actually sit down and write Find a specific time of day you like to write, and write only then, for me its early morning and late at night when its the quietest. Do you like music or tv, have something going in the background to focus you Hope that helped

Posted: 5/21/2010 2:09 AM PDT
I suggest that you should write, even if you feel like what your writing is crap. I've been trying to finish a story since I started writing, and I always find that the kiss of death (for me, at least) is the moment I let myself take a day off. I've had so many good ideas (or I thought they were good lol) just sort of vanish in thin air because one day turned into two and two into four and so on. I'm not suggesting you force yourself. If the words aren't flowing, then they aren't flowing. But try to write something, like a letter to a friend, a family member or yourself. It might help put yourself in the mindset of writing. Hope I helped! much love and zombie brain~

Posted: 5/19/2010 11:49 AM PDT
I'm one of those people who write as I feel like it. I have had all of the problems mentioned above. What I would recommend is, if you are going to take a break, before you start again read over everything that you have already written. It will help get you back into the groove, and it will point out errors or gaps in the story.

Posted: 5/17/2010 10:30 AM PDT
Although I agree almost fully with MTGradwell about not working on those main stories, you should be very careful. Do not -force- yourself to write. Things people used to like end up being hated the second those people are -forced- to write it. Why do you think so many children take school for granted in the U.S., while others in different countries are dying to go to school when they can't? Because, when the law forces you to do something like that, that's what happens, while, if your somewhere that you can't get to it, you want it so badly. Personally, I think that it's important to take a break and let yourself get back into the mood. In order to keep yourself from getting rusty, I suggest frequenting the library to grap a few novels and writing a short poem--haiku?--every now and then. It's really not healthy to put stress on yourself to write something. I mean, is it true that, often, if you eat enough of a certain food you don't like, you'll like it? Yes. It worked for me with cheesecake. Is it always the best, though? No. My stepfather was forced to keep trying beats as a child when he hated them, and, even now, he pukes at the sight of them. Certain things can't be helped by forceful means or repatition. I think you should lie low for a while, mmkay? Try not to overwork yourself ;] -mk

Posted: 5/10/2010 2:15 PM PDT
It depends on what you're aiming to achieve, but if you have a few uncompleted stories in your head that you want to see completed someday, I'd recommend forcing yourself to write something fairly often, whether the ideas are flowing or not. Otherwise the gaps between idea flows, which are large to start with, could end up getting larger and larger until in the end you've forgotten that you ever had any stories, and you can't remember what they were about even when pressed. It can all happen very gradually and insidiously, so you aren't aware of it. The things you write just to keep in practice probably should not be continuations of your main stories, though. It would be too easy to take an inspired beginning and mar it by adding an uninspired continuation. Worse, you might recognise that the continuation is uninspired, and so try again ... and again, and again, until you have a dozen chapter 16's, and you can't decide which is best, and trying to combine the best elements from several just rounds the number up to a baker's dozen. Instead, I think it makes sense to jump into short writing challenges - "summarize in 50 words ...", that sort of thing. These exercises can be totally unrelated to your main stories, or they can be set in the same universe with a possibility of tying them all together at a later date; but in either case their main purpose is to keep yourself in practice so that when the muse does next visit you'll be ready for her. Keeping in practice also increases the likelihood that the next visit from the muse will be soon.

Posted: 5/8/2010 10:52 AM PDT
I'm going through an inner battle with myself trying to decide if I should force myself to write when I don't feel like it, or if I should just wait for the ideas to flow when they want to (even if that's not very often). What do you think?