This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > 911 Writer's Block:  Tips to Rev your Engine > Introducing a new character's supernatural powers
A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 7/13/2010 3:21 PM PDT
no problem. glad I could help.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/12/2010 4:23 PM PDT
It did help. Thanks so much! =)

Posted: 7/12/2010 2:31 PM PDT
Fascinating idea. If i got this right, Present controls choices and life spans. So...what if he kills the person in the hospital next to him. Or if that person is dying makes them live longer. like, I wish I could do something to help/shut them (up). Strange feeling (or just poof or however it works for them) and A.) they're dead or B.) they're looking so much better. Or if a family was going to cut life support Present could change their mind because he knows the person is going to come out of the coma or something like that. To be honest, you've set up some great material for yourself by putting the character in the prime place where life and choices are most noticeable. To go through with surgery, to live through said surgery, if the newborn baby lives, if the father enters the room. Think of every hospital situation you can and have him manipulate it. By accident or purpose or however you see fit. Well that's all I can think of. I probably didn't help, but I hope I did a little. Good luck!

Posted: 7/9/2010 6:15 PM PDT
I'm writing a science fiction novel and one of my characters is Present manifested into a human being. I've had no problems with Past or Future but I can't come up with a scene for this character to show how his power works to the reader. The character is currently in the hospital and in disbelieve that magic exists even though he tapped into one of his friend's powers and turned an Oreo cookie into a ferret. His power in short is to decide how long a person's life is (in other words he decides when people die). But he is also in control of every current decision ever made. It's really hard to explain which is why I'm having such trouble making a scene for this character. And I can't move on to the rest of the story until I finish with him because I'm introducing the characters in order. I already have the scene for Future worked out; and I just finished writing a scene for Past where he made a person's past incidents come together to form the rest of the person's life. Future's scene will have him helping a child walk the right path in order to have the future he is destined to have. No idea what to do with Present. PLEASE HELP ME O.O