This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 2/14/2010 2:16 PM PST
thanks it makes more sense! if you can. leave feedback on my book.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/14/2010 12:18 PM PST
It sorta makes sense, I mean, I see what you're getting at, but what is the relevence?

Posted: 2/14/2010 11:55 AM PST
Yes, webook or any other net site/media that post as a straight column. The average printed book is about 250 words per page. For a book the difference is the natural page break-up as in one pausing to turn a page … that does happen on here. The 2500 word count is a rough estimate … but that is a ten page outlay – reading 10 pages of print without any break. Again think of a newspaper or magazine and how they are printed … Does this make sense?

Posted: 2/14/2010 10:42 AM PST
THANK YOU ! A few things: for the 2500 word minimum is that just for webook.com or is that more for general rule. And if the 2500 words is just for webook then how many words would be in a average book like if I wrote it in word? Does this make sense? THANK YOU!!!

Posted: 2/14/2010 10:34 AM PST
THANK YOU! For the record, i dont have a end chapter button but that would be pretty cool:) any thing else to consider\include? I just dont want the readers to be confused overall, so if theres any way you could help me avoid that be great! (any tips) If you have any other insight let me know!! THANK YOU SO MUCH (AGAIN)

Posted: 2/13/2010 10:34 AM PST
Oh my. 1. How long should the chapters generally be? A. That's pretty much up to you. If you notice from the books you read, chapters vary. Some are two pages, and some are fifty. Just end the chapter when it feels natural. 2. What are ways to end the chapters? I don't think there's a set "end chapter" button on your computer. If there is, I'm totally jealous. But anyway, I don't think there's an exact answer for this, either. End your chapters when they "feel" like it's time to move on. 3. How many pages should a chapter be? Once again, it's up to you. Isn't this technically the same question as number one? 4. How many chapters should there be over all? Up to you. (: 1. How do you incorporate dialogue while writing? For me, Dialogue is very important, but it has to sound smooth and natural. Add dialogue in when you feel like it should be there. Don't try to force two characters to talk if it doesn't make any sense. 2. What are ways to avoid sounding repetitive when characters are in dialougue, other then saying "said"? Said is actually the best word to use! (I know, I was shocked when I found out, too.) But it doesn't sound repetitive. Wouldn't you rather your readers know what was going on, as opposed to being totally confused? 3. Whats the balance between dialogue and paragraph\information (i guess you could say)? There isn't a specific answer for this one. Whatever sounds best, and makes sense. 4. Is too much information a bad thing? (i know depending on the situation, but gernally speaking) I think there's a difference between adding description and adding nonsense. Chew on that for a while. 5. What are general things that need to be kept consistant? (Plot, characters,) Will power. Inspiration. Determination. There are so many factors that need to be considered. 6. Any other information to follow by? Just remember that you can't write a story over night. Just keep going, you'll get there. <3

Posted: 2/12/2010 1:47 PM PST
You were doing well, right up to the point where you asked for feedback … :o| But to answer some of your questions anyway … The first 1-4 : the general answer is however long it takes to tell your story … there are no set rules. However when posting on here it is best to keep chapters as short as possible (2500 words max) for ease of reading … Because it is like reading a column of news print. On Writing: 1- not sure what you are asking here, structure? 2- Said is always the best word to use because it becomes oblivious to the reader. If it is a back and forth dialogue, establish the order of speaker and avoid the end tags (he/she said). 3- Each section of dialogue (per speaker) should have its own paragraph. (is that what you meant?) 4- Yes, unless presented in an interesting manner and as long as it moves the story along. “Try to leave out the parts the reader skips” 5- Everything … a story needs to flow … 6- Write for yourself, not an audience. Write what you know – do research on what you do not know. Write, read, rewrite. Repeat.

Posted: 2/12/2010 8:59 AM PST
Hi I just started writing and need help with chapters (and overall writing), more so the length, Ive only written one chapter so far, but I dont know where to end it because I have a tendency ramble. SO I was wondering: 1. How long should the chapters generally be? 2. What are ways to end the chapters? 3. How many pages should a chapter be? 4. How many chapters should there be over all? As far as for writing I was just wondering: 1. How do you incorporate dialogue while writing? 2. What are ways to avoid sounding repetitive when characters are in dialougue, other then saying "said"? 3. Whats the balance between dialogue and paragraph\information (i guess you could say)? 4. Is too much information a bad thing? (i know depending on the situation, but gernally speaking) 5. What are general things that need to be kept consistant? (Plot, characters,) 6. Any other information to follow by? Feel free to read through my book, I only have one chapter, and if you look at it, please leave feedback, and the overview guideline is for me to reference too! But thanks!