This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 12/25/2009 3:49 AM PST
PS: that was a reply to Dandan
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 12/25/2009 3:48 AM PST
Nice motivation, I know for sure that must have been helpful. SC

Posted: 10/8/2009 1:26 PM PDT
Another fun little thing I've done a couple of times is to look in other languages for the translation of the word. Ex - I have a death doctor in one of my stories. The French dictionary I looked at said Reaper (with a capital R) is Camarde. And death is mort. So my doctor is named Dr. Mort Camarde. You could find an obscure language, and I bet you could even find the Elvish that Tolkien made up and create a name that way.

Posted: 9/22/2009 1:02 PM PDT
Hello Gothwriter, Perhaps I can offer my advice to see if that would help? My advice would be to look at the world around you and play with words that you see. For example, perhaps the little florist on the corner has a cool name. But what would happen if you took the cool name and broke it down into its phonetic sounds? Walk around where you live and look at adverts, shops, cars - anything that has a name or words on it. Bands, books and a whole host of other things have been named this way. For example, there's a DJ duo called Stanton Warriors. They named themselves after a brand of manhole cover (let's ignore that Stanton is also a make of DJ equipment for now!). The band Megadeth gave themselves the phonetic spelling of Megadeath, a term used to describe one million deaths. You get the idea! Look in newspapers, magazines and books, especially in the ones that interest you. There might be a word lurking in the small ads that jumps out at you. I've found that messing around with the spellings of words to be the most enjoyable. Because the word doesn't have a meaning it gives you the scope to give it a meaning (or not as the case may be!). Hope that helps a little. Rae :)

Posted: 9/22/2009 12:14 PM PDT
A couple things. 1. Sin's only power is void. 2. Thank you for the name ideas for the boy. 3. I have no idea what a Bildungsroman is. 4. Sin is not a dramatic name. And 4. I would like some help on the name for the darknesses name. Thanks. Gothwriter.

Posted: 9/18/2009 7:23 PM PDT
That seems extremely vague. I couldn't think of any title. And I also agree that you need to work to make this original, because it's been done to death. (But, think of this - vampire stories have been done to death, and yet a new one comes out all the time and someone likes it....) As for the name, I love the website behindthename.com. I searched for 'darkness' in male names and found Orpheus, Erebus, Chernobog, and Angra Mainyu.

Posted: 9/16/2009 10:43 AM PDT
Try less dramatic names. And try to write something with an original plot. Bildungsromans are so one hundred years ago.

Posted: 9/14/2009 6:52 PM PDT
I've always looked at other peoples problems and post on them but never post my own problems. Well, now I need help. Sin DiMaurno has not manifested her abilities(ex: power over all or certain elements, telekenesis, psychic abilities of any kind, walk into others dreams, etc.) whereas her parents are well known. Her last chance of getting into a boarding school to help discover or continue to manifest the abilities was a success. As she learns that to her amazement, and that of her peers and teachers, she can control water, air and the lost void power, not only are other schools wanting her, but a force that was thought to be sleeping forever. Not only is that her problem, but her closest friends(who will die) are battling for her heart. Then Sin meets (blank), but he works for the dark power(sorry, trying to find a name for the darkness). He was born that way. As Sin runs away with (blank), she must learn to master her new abilities and destroy the dark power before it takes over the world. Okay, that was the whole point of the novel. Now, I'm searching for a title for my story and a name for (blank). Any suggestions are welcome. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!! Gothwriter