This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 3/17/2009 11:34 PM PST
If you're desperate and looking for something on this site why not try this new project by Yorick? http://www.webook.com/project/Improvisational-Writing Apparently he started it (i.e improptu writing) after suffering from a case of writer's block, so it could work. It's worth a shot, right? JS
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/4/2009 8:08 PM PST
I take a nice hot long shower or bath. Or I even prepare myself for writing long before I begin, by eating right in the morning and cleaning house helps too, it helps me to organize ideas when I get into cleaning something vigorously. Reading is, good, but I don't just read books, I read anything that catches my eye, from art books, to biographies, to language books, anything at all. making a CD of mood music can help me propel myself to differant scenes in my daydreams, and its fun. I listen to soundtracks, they are always a good motivator. I paint, draw and take walks. I visit with neighbors and have everyday conversations making sure to keep the convo light, because as I keep the conversation light, I can notice and guage my neighbors reactions to various subject matter and it helps me stay in a good mood. I read poetry and take little bits like a word here or a word there than I get words at random from the thesaurus and try to write a masterpiece of poetry. I collect words, and literally write them down, look up the definitions and write the full definitions down to give me a feel for the word. I make a list of general words or subjects I want to write about someday. Then when I feel the need to challenge myself I go to the list, and when my eye catches something particular I write about it. I take old stories and mash them with new story characters and bammo a whole new story idea and plot line emerges. I keep a folder of things that inspire me, it can be pictures, articles, favorite lists of music or authors and poets and philosiphers. I keep a list in my folder of the good things people have said about my writing to inspire me, the list grows longer all the time and keeps my spirits up. I keep pictures of even actors and movies that have inspired me in my folder. I call it the My I-Book, Inspiration, imagination, and so on. If I feel frustrated, I will beat a pillow up, if I feel to energized and figity too much to write, I exercise or dance or both or clean. It helps if the housework is done to feel comfortable when writing instead of worrying about the dishes or the clothes for tomorrow. I plan my day loosley but plan it enough to get priorties in and then work later, writing work, but I keep it loose just in case the unexpected comes up. I get sleep, gettting sleep helps your focus a whole lot and makes a differance. Hope that helped, smiles, Nica

Posted: 2/11/2009 5:35 AM PST
i find music & dreams inspire me more..sometimes, call me crazy, but i can see entire scenes in my dreams, all i have to do is wake up & start writing. The ocean, a beautiful sunset , sunrise they all inspire me...even small things like a tree can fll me with ideas......howeve depending on my mood i can draw ideas from almost anything....but even after all this..i am now suffering from a block...i mean i kind of know where i can to take my charecters but i cant find the words......i dont know how to elaborate , so i have started wrtiing the scenes i am comfortable with. scenes i know i will use somewhere in the chapters and see how i go from here.

Posted: 2/8/2009 9:46 PM PST
I have one tip that usually always works for me: Imagine yourself somewhere. Performing at a concert, making a speech, talking about love, playing a sport. And commentate it. Make it descriptive. Let it flow. And just change it around. It really helps get it going because it's so factual and easy to picture. (:

Posted: 2/4/2009 6:04 PM PST
Love the ideas!! I get a lot of my ideas when listening to music, which is usually before bed (when my dreams are already starting to fill my head). And most of my stories i get from real life experiences only i exagerate, add, and/or change it around. These are really good, i never really thought about how i got my ideas until now. This is great inspiration to me now :D

Posted: 2/1/2009 7:50 PM PST
one time i was watching a video on youtube and i got insperation for a fanfic

Posted: 1/2/2009 12:08 AM PST
I find that Video Games are huge inspiration. If you play games that are Role Playing games on your system then it should help spark something because usually they make you make your own character. The scenery in games are a huge help as well. Another helpful one would be actually Role Playing, such as DnD, MnM, GURPS, WoD, etc. They're great ways of sparking that imagination hey give you some helpful guidelines to make your characters as well as areas to play in.

Posted: 12/12/2008 7:35 AM PST
talking to people who are familiar with what you are writing. They could have a simple idea that could open up your mind to dozens of new possibilities.

Posted: 11/30/2008 3:31 PM PST
How To Put An End To Writer's Block: 1. Listen to music: sometimes listening to music really helps calm you and helps let you mind wander. Or you can listen to the lyrics and see what you can pull from that. 2. Try going somewhere quiet to think: Going to the park, taking a drive, or right before you go to bed, or anywhere quiet where you can think. 3. Dreams: Sometimes you can pull ideas from your dreams, before you go to bed think about your book or a piece of writing you have written. Focus on one part very well and you might just have a dream about it. Then all you have to do is write it down if it's good. 4. Reading or T.V.: sometimes you can find inspiration in reading or t.v. cause sometimes you find thing that you may not like or would change. Think about how you would want it and if it goes with the story use that. 5. Real Life: Many writers use experiences from their own lives in their writing. Anything going on in your life may be good for a story. As well you can go to a place where there are people, like the park, and observe. You might find another character for your story. An old man, a little girl.... plus you can look at your surrondings and think of setting. If anybody has anymore ideas to put and end to writer's block post it!