This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 8/8/2009 7:21 AM PDT
Haha, yeah, I figured my readers would be very miffed if I went through a long war type story without killing anyone important. Although I am waiting until the last of the books to make the impact stronger. Thanks again for all of your ideas! They really do help.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/7/2009 10:52 AM PDT
I really really dont know why, but I enjoy reading books which kill off a character that I've really grown attached to. Usually this is a sidekick that everyone loves, and is either funny or smooth witht he ladies, but usually has a lot of charm about them :) lol, "I have to kill someone but I cant decide who!" Probs either the Best friend or the child of MC, but the for it to work for people like me, the kid'd have to be funny or really guilty.

Posted: 7/27/2009 2:49 PM PDT
Personally, I like making the characters hurt like hell before letting them have any good. I like killing people off. But I do let them have one thing. I'm going to use most of your suggestions to help your story if you don't mind and add one of my own. Kill the main characters best friend first, that way the love interest/best friend can console them. Then kill the wise old guy, everyone feels bad!!!!(sorry, I'm kinda mean like that) Next, Kill the main characters family, more consoling by the love interest/best friend. Kill the best friend's love interest, consoling by the main character. Kill the best friend, consoling by the love interest. Kill the romantic competition, do with that what you will. Kill the family of the love interest, consoling by the main character. Love interest could maybe protect the main characters child and nearly dies. The main character could get so pissed off that they kill all the villains. The child stays safe and after much waiting, the love interest is safe. This could be done over a lot of books. Now, remember this is just my idea and you don't have to use it. I hope I helped.

Posted: 6/1/2009 10:04 PM PDT
Personally, I always like to make things painful for my MCs...guess I'm just mean like that (really though, it does make the story more fun!). I like killing off either the best friend or the love interest because either of those would hit him the hardest and would affect the plot more. In fact, killing off the MC's love interest but keeping his rival alive could make for some pretty interesting scenes between the two of them :D

Posted: 5/31/2009 4:10 PM PDT
I have a slight conundrum with my story. It's going well, but I'm a bit blocked as to how to make the final ending. It's a multi book story, so you know, and the book that this would happen in isn't even on webook yet. I like to plan in advance. ;) Keep in mind that this isn't counting the villians, just the main characters. It is also a semi-war story, so, at some point, someone is going to die. So, if a character were to die, would you prefer: - the main character - the main character's love interest - the main character's best friend - the main character's romantic competition - the family of the love interest - the best friend's love interest - the wise old guy - the child of the main character - none of them, just the bad guys You can choose more than one. I just need an idea. I have to kill someone - I can't decide who. All opinions will be considered before I make my decision. Thanks in advance. :)