This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > The Reality Check: Q & A > SCAM, SCAM, SCAM...THIS SITE IS SUCH A SCAM!
What do folks in England eat for breakfast?  How do you milk a giraffe?  What types of cases go to the Supreme Court?  Can you break a car window with a thermos?  Use this Q & A forum to help supply your characters, plots, and settings with a dose of reality.  Someone, somewhere, has the answer.
Posted: 3/27/2015 5:37 PM PST
Actually, if you are so worried that one of your ideas might be "stolen", that would suggest that a person has very few ideas, and that suggests taking up a different line of work.

Best

-r
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 8/25/2013 9:09 AM PDT
Can't you disable the email notifications?

Posted: 8/25/2013 5:37 AM PDT
@Poetlife: You HAVE contributed to this topic. Your message listed below and dated 11/12/2010 is a contribution. Nevertheless, I don't think that Webook are "accusing" you, falsely or otherwise. They are merely informing you that a topic which you had some involvement in three years ago has now sprung back into life, and you might want to take a look at it.

Posted: 8/25/2013 12:47 AM PDT
Poetlife
Thanks pdsa1,
I have had my PC tech: out here on Thursday 22/8/2013. (We are a day ahead of the USA in Australia.)

There are no Hackers on my system.
As far as he can see.
Isn't it we books responsibility to safe guard its web site and it's members?

I have re-set my password since new we book team here.
What's the point of reporting any thing bugs to we book? Do they take any action? I will think on it.
Poetlife.

Posted: 8/24/2013 11:03 PM PDT

pdsa1
Emails are a funny thing I too sometimes get to repeats of the same message in my inbox,  Due to the fact that it may be a bug in this system you shouldn't really get so angry at webook it could be your own email account. I am going to be honest with webookers' many sights such as this forum based things can easily be hacked through email.

My suggested is reset you password and if it still happens you've be hacked.
I am sorry for being so blunt but I would like to offer you a friendly apology. Maybe if it happens again please report to the moderator.

Posted: 8/24/2013 7:15 PM PDT
Poetlife
????????????????????????????????

Posted: 8/24/2013 7:13 PM PDT
Poetlife
I got TWO emails today the 25/8/2013 (Yes we are a day ahead in Australia)

Saying I had written or contributed to this article. WHEN I HAVE DONE NEITHER.
I WANT AN APOLOGY & EXPLANATION NOW.
Yes I have removed most of my work- but some is still here. For OTHER REASONS.
POETLIFE.
P.S. I AM VERY ANGRY AT THIS FALSE ACCUSATION .

Posted: 8/24/2013 7:27 AM PDT
@pdsa1: You're right, webook has no connection with Authorhouse. This whole thread started because somebody got confused between Authorhouse and Writer's House (A fine, upstanding literary agency that represents the likes of Ken Follett, Neil Gaiman and Erica Jong). 

However, the web is full of horror stories about how iminent / SearchTheWeb installs adware and spyware and browser hijackers which will constantly redirect you to hacked websites, filling your computer with yet more difficult-to-remove malware.  Advising people to check things out for themselves by searching the Internet is good, but linking to iminent is probably not the best way to do that.

Posted: 8/24/2013 4:01 AM PDT

pdsa1
STOP THIS AT ONCE!

*Ahem*  Indeed the truth is Authorhouse is a scam but a we-book had no connection to them. I have also got proof 

Check out read these bearing in mind this is a link to a search engine so they is allot of them.

http://search.iminent.com/SearchTheWeb/v6/1033/homepage/Default.aspx

Make up your own mind good reading or awful scam. 

I think is was a scam: 

Warning signs they ask money upfront. Webook does not. I was nearly a victim of Authorhouse myself but I was a bit concerned about asking for credit card details over the phone at once upfront. I researched this this company is a scam. Webook is not.

SO STOP PICKING ON IT. 
* Ahem*  Sorry about the use of capital letter but I am rather annoyed at thread like these.

Posted: 11/12/2010 7:36 PM PST
Take a look in the mirror Poetlife, your'e the bully.

Posted: 11/12/2010 6:59 PM PST
Poetlife
I agree with you ,may the Lord Creator help/protect us all who are innocent and not scammers.I took this site to be real? LOL!LOL!LOL!& have been insulted and bullied here.Not our loss is it mate? but the non true talented writers. Blessings, Poetlife.

Posted: 7/8/2010 11:05 PM PDT

MattCurties
I'm relatively new to the site and I've had little to do with other writers' sites. However, I think the site is OK. It would be better if the P2F was free, but I have no probs paying a few quid for each item. After all, it does have the potential of getting to the top level. I do not KNOW where the money goes to, but I can hazzard a guess. This upkeep of the site and it's employees require financing. The project is in itself a money making venture - it's a business. It does not suggest that it is non-profit making. If it doesn't make a profit, what would be the point of it as a business. I personally have no problem with profit making businesses. After all, 99% of the market is such. If you feel that you are paying too much for the service then, as with any service, don't pay. There is nothing to say that you have to belong to the site. There are many famous authors who have started their career using vanity publishing: Oscar Wilde, Rudyard Kipling, George Bernard Shaw, etc. One author suggested that if your work was good enough, then it shouldn't need you to pay for it to be published, but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate. This, of course, if you intend to publish. If not, and you only want criticism, then sometimes you need to pay for that like you do on this site. A scam will only go as far as you want it to go, so as soon as you're not happy with it, stop. If this site is a scam, I for one have not recognised it yet. Does that make me naive, or others paranoid? As far as the account number is concerned, I use PayPal so WB does not have my account details. Matt

Posted: 7/5/2010 2:53 PM PDT
I came to WEbook in hopes to connect with writers. I'm not really here to get published of any sort. It's fun for me at least to give out feedback and to hear feedback from others and use that information for the future. Most of my work on here is for fun work. And so I can apply it to my more serious work in my computer. All though I agree that there shouldn't be a Page to Fame fee, you do pay to get into contest. American Idol you have to pay to be a contestant, in every news paper contest you have to pay a fee to be a contestant. I took Page to Fame as a contest and if that is the case, then the fee is understandable. Though I won't join because I don't have a lot of money and the fee wouldn't aid me in any way. If you do not like Page to Fame, just don't join. There are other opportunities on here. Such as being able to connect and maybe make some writing friends and people who can give you good feedback. WEbook is merely a place where writers and readers can connect and share works.

Posted: 6/19/2010 3:02 AM PDT
All this contravercy is really starting to confuse me.

Posted: 6/19/2010 3:00 AM PDT
I've heard of Authors House and was told they weren't very good and were scammers. I can't really see were all the money webook is taking is going. I'm not sure if I want to take my work off of webook because the feedback helps me evolve as an author. Though I have found other sites that seem more trustworthy than webook but a similar good points (like the feedback). autonomy.com and inkpop.com (inkpop.com is for younger teen writers).

Posted: 6/8/2010 9:50 PM PDT
Agreed. Many writer's on here (myself included), want feedback to just FINISH a novel, let alone get it published. I think WEbook is a great site. Reality check indeed.

Posted: 5/5/2010 6:39 PM PDT
I completely agree with ShadowPaetz. I joined to get readers. When my story was just sitting on my computer, it was going no where. At least here I can have people give me feedback. If you're that upset about webook, leave. We won't miss your negative attitude.

Posted: 4/30/2010 10:26 AM PDT
Why would Writer's House strike a chord of fear in you??? I would vacuum their carpets just to get in the front door.

Posted: 4/22/2010 3:15 PM PDT
I just joined, but I've been around the internet writing world for a while and thought this would be a good place to get feedback from READERS. I don't really care about the agents at this point, and would carefully go over any contract I was offered anyway, before accepting. The biggest thing to remember, as a writer, is -- do not go with any agent or publishing company that charges a fee to represent you or publish your work. that screams either 'scam' or 'vanity'. Money should flow toward the author, not away. As for the fee charging on this site: I found the information on it to be up front, not a huge fee, and you get the services they offer for the fee. It's honest, at least. If the fee amount was hidden behind a smoke screen of ads and credentials, I'd have run the other way. There are a few decent agencies listed in the agent's list, as well. Writers House did strike a chord of fear in me, but then, it's up to the author to choose representation, anyway. No one says you have to go with anyone on this site. Keep control of your work, and do the research if you get an offer from an agent. Shadow

Posted: 4/20/2010 1:04 AM PDT
The blog that you cited is a blog written when the website was still in it's infancy. There is a follow up blog that shows that webook addressed many of the issues that were discussed in her first blog. http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/05/victoria-strauss-webook-update.html This also assumes that a persons main purpose for creating an account is to get published through webook. This is not my intent. My intent is to get feedback and get the creative juices going. I may or may not make a career out of my writing, and if I do, it may or may not be through here. I do benefit from the ideas and reviews and the opportunity to review other's works. I find that when I review other people's work it improves my own, because it makes me think more critically about writing in general. Thanks for keeping writers best interests at hear though!

Posted: 4/18/2010 11:55 AM PDT
See that? It says "Writer's House". Also formally known as AUTHOR HOUSE--a vanity press op that went defunct in 2003 and reconstituted itself 2 years later under a different name. (WRITER'S HOUSE.) Ummm . . . Writer's House is a top drawer literary agency and I would gladly volunteer for the summer to empty their wastebaskets just to listen to what is going on. They represent Nora Roberts, Neil Gaiman and Erica Jong (hacks every one!). This fine and upstanding agency has nothing to do with Author House which is a straight-forward vanity press (not a scam, just a vanity press) which is alive and well and living in Indiana. Get your facts together before you start slinging mud. I, for one, sincerely doubt anyone is interested in 'stealing' your ideas. Get over yourself.

Posted: 3/5/2010 5:27 PM PST
Ah, never mind, there's an updated blog here: http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/05/victoria-strauss-webook-update.html :)

Posted: 3/5/2010 5:19 PM PST
Can you elaborate on the kill fee mentioned here? http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/04/victoria-strauss-words-on-webook-or.html Sounds pretty scary to me.

Posted: 2/23/2010 10:39 PM PST
Oops. "They both apparently publish books" was an error. Writer's house is an agency, not a publisher. There really is absolutely no point of comparison between writershouse.com and authorhouse.com

Posted: 2/23/2010 10:19 PM PST
"If you need a CLUE, check out the literary agent on the Blog Page. See that? It says "Writer's House". Also formally known as AUTHOR HOUSE--a vanity press op that went defunct in 2003 and reconstituted itself 2 years later under a different name. (WRITER'S HOUSE.)" ---------- I'm surprised Garyjc didn't address this bit, but then I suppose his brief is to defend webook, not Writer's House, and maybe he doesn't know a lot about Writer's house. it doesn't take much effort to find out, though. Googling took me to their website, writershouse.com. First thing I notice after the splash screen is "Writers House was founded in 1973 with a vision for a new kind of literary agency...". Doesn't sound like the sort of thing an organisation which only existed under that name since 2005 could say. Second thing I notice is that there's a company history section, and it makes no mention of Author House, or of being defunct in 2003 or reconstituted.in 2005. Instead it ends with the following words about Joan Daves: ".... After a short stint at Harper Brothers, Daves founded her own literary agency in the early 1950s, and became renowned for introducing major European writers into American literary culture. Her distinguished client list included 7 Nobel Prize winners, among them Martin Luther King Jr., whom she signed up as a client even before the first major social protests at Montgomery, as well as Elias Canetti, Heinrich Böll, Nelly Sachs, Gabriella Mistral, and Hermann Hesse. Other prominent writers included Willy Brandt, Roger Shattuck (winner of the National Book Award), Isaac Babel, Christina Stead, Bertolt Brecht, Vaclav Havel, Pavel Kohout and Frank O’Connor. She brought the works of these great authors and many more to Writers House when she joined her agency with ours in 1989. Daves passed away in 1997, and Writers House is proud to carry on her legacy." Okay, so there's an illustrious past. A REALLY illustrious past. Still, maybe Writer's House has fallen on harder times recently. So I check out their bestsellers section and notice a few names I've seen before, including Erica Jong and Neil Gaiman. Not people who I would expect to be using a vanity press. I check out their "award winners" section, and it is truly impressive. I look for the page that's asking me to send them a few hundred dollars, and I don't find it. I compare the site with authorhouse.com (which is apparently still going strong) and there is absolutely no comparison. They both apparently publish books, and that is the only similarity. To cut a long story short, skywriter35 appears to be as wrong about Writer's house as he is about just about everything else. RED FLAG PEOPLE.

Posted: 2/22/2010 12:56 AM PST
It's seems the site itself quietly changed. Now it seems the voting cycle that existed before on Webook.com was replaced with a charging method. It seems that Agents are using this as a referral site now.

Posted: 2/22/2010 12:53 AM PST
Ma'am there is a request for credit card number from webook. Look on "Page for Fame" under Publish. I'm skeptical myself now. Was the original voting cycle removed from Webook.com?

Posted: 2/18/2010 10:40 PM PST
also, if you're afraid that someone will steal your work, i recommend registering it with the copyrights office.

Posted: 2/18/2010 10:39 PM PST
it's only a scam when they start asking for your credit card number.

Posted: 2/14/2010 2:13 AM PST
Thanks for the comments and post. It's better to draw one's own conclusions. I'll check it out.

Posted: 2/10/2010 1:24 PM PST
Taswegan, Thank you so much for your kind words about what we are doing here, you are a perfect example of why we are here and our goals and aspirations with the site. Your comments on this thread are appreciated. Gary

Posted: 2/8/2010 7:03 PM PST
Whatever anyone have discovered regarding the' power behind the scene' regarding WeBook, it remains a valuable website. Writers and budding writers from around the globe have a unique opportunity here to showcase their work and to get to know each other. The site is watched by publishers other than WeBook itself and occasionally one get's lucky and a publisher may make enquiries regarding an author. I know this to be correct as my own manuscript, 'The White Crow' was brought to the attention of an Australian publisher and I am now in the process of signing a contract. My story was posted on WeBook in its entirety and the comments left on various chapters helped me greatly in obtaining a contract for publication. I have taken the project down now because of the book being published later this year but while it was posted on WeBook it received over 160 views. The chats and the groups contain very interesting viewpoints and it is comforting to be able to converse with people of like mind. There is much help available and there are many people on WeBook's membership only too willing to help any person starting out. Don't for one minute 'cut off your nose to spite your face'. This is a most valuable website and must remain. I congratulate all involved and please keep up the good work.

Posted: 2/8/2010 8:11 AM PST
WEbook will never steal your ideas or the rights to your book. We have plenty of information regarding copyright and the legal stuff in our FAQ.... http://www.webook.com/faq#own-rights Who owns the rights to my work I post on WEbook? Well, first, our Terms of Use requires that in order for you to upload material to WEbook.com or write anything on the site, you must own the rights to that content. Further, as the Terms provide, you retain the copyright to your work that you post on WEbook.com. WEbook takes a license merely to show it on WEbook.com (we need that to put it on the site, you might imagine), but you retain rights and you can remove material you write on WEbook at any time. If you decide to submit your work for publication in one of the WEbook voting cycles, and your work is selected for publication, WEbook will offer you a publishing agreement. That agreement would be between WEbook and you, the author. At that point you would have a choice of whether you wish to move ahead with WEbook under that agreement or something we agree to, or whether you wish to decline our publication offer. But that choice remains yours throughout the writing and voting process. Easy enough. If you do choose to publish with WEbook - and we sure hope you do if you're asked - you stand to receive a 50% share of profits from sales of your work. That's not half bad. Return to top Is my WEbook work protected from theft and plagiarism? When you go to Start a Project on WEbook, you can make your work "Private." This will ensure that no one other than you and the few people you may choose to invite to your project see your work. Now, the real benefit of WEbook is that you have the option of getting great input from others, so we think there's real value there. Plus, if you do ever want your work considered for publication, you will need to submit to the Voting Cycle, which will mean that site users will read your submission and vote on whether or not it should be a published WEbook. Let's say you decide you do want your work to be more open during the writing phase (and by the way, you can change your mind and broaden the viewing anytime), or you elect to submit for voting. As a general matter, anytime you "publish" content you garner a copyright in that work. This would happen if you included it in a letter, published it in a book, or published it at WEbook.com or any other web environment (including your own site). Now, WEbook.com allows you to preserve and retain your copyright when you post work. We simply ask that you give us a license to "publish" the content at WEbook.com. Makes sense. The fact is that whenever you put your work out there, you create some risk that someone who lacks your creative verve and penchant for adding to the world of ideas might improperly and illegally co-opt your work. It can happen if your work is in a digital or print format. You could say that it's a bit easier to select, copy and paste off a website, but in reality someone could retype and reuse pages from a book as well. It's just a bit more trouble in the latter case. Moreover, when you post work on a website, particularly if it's WEbook.com, it's likely that more people will see it. WEbook has thousands of users, which is terrific if you want feedback or if you want to showcase your creativity to a broader audience. In some ways, the slightly increased risk of misappropriation comes along with the great benefit of sharing your work with more people. It's a bit of a tradeoff. At the end of the day, however, your rights are the same regardless. If someone steals your copyrighted work, you have a legal right to proceed against them for infringement. That's the case if they find your work on a website or in a book. Setting up an alert like "Google Alerts" for the work you write can be really helpful in seeing where your content might surface in other places on the web. It's a tool we use as well. Return to top Is my personal information private and secure on WEbook? Yes. WEbook will not share or rent this information. Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use for complete details. Return to top Can I post a book or content I've already self-published elsewhere? WEbook allows you to post on WEbook.com any content that you own and have a right to post at WEbook.com. So if you have undiluted rights to your work, even though it's been self-published, you can feel free to upload your work on WEbook.com, get feedback, and throw yourself into consideration for WEbook publication if you'd like. Return to top

Posted: 2/7/2010 6:01 AM PST
I've removed my projects because I'm concerned about the high probability that WEBook will STEAL my rights as the rightful author to my own books--thorugh both media deception and poor contractibility. While I have nothing serious posted in such a way that it can bite me in the ass later on--I've taken the steps to warn everyone about this site and how ingloriously *deceptive* it has become to the public at large. Through my research, I discovered that this site was built on a $1 million to $5 million "bearer's bond" only three years ago, with the option to recoup most of its investment through its "Page to Fame" setup--by charging a small fee to publish a page through this site. (There's rumors flying around that this may change in the coming months.) Why would a *reputable* agent or publisher need to charge its clients MONEY to publish anyways? NO ONE IS GETTING PUBLISHED THROUGH WEBOOK!!! It's just a big scam--led by the *biggest* scammers ever! If you need a CLUE, check out the literary agent on the Blog Page. See that? It says "Writer's House". Also formally known as AUTHOR HOUSE--a vanity press op that went defunct in 2003 and reconstituted itself 2 years later under a different name. (WRITER'S HOUSE.) RED FLAG PEOPLE. You're getting taken for a *ride* here! And it's not a REAL publisher either. Wikipedia calls it an online version of "American Idol". (And we all know what that is--right?) So no one is being taken seriously on that front to boot. Preditors and Editors warns people that WEBook has a poor contract and is strongly against recommending it. AC Crispen's blog has a nice piece about how WeBook steals away your rights (http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2008/04/victoria-strauss-words-on-webook-or.html) and leaves you in legal limbo or worse for a good while to come. And John Corey Whaley's new book? NOT EVEN REGISTERED ON SIMON AND SCHUSTER'S WEBSITE! No name. No HINT of when it is coming out. NO NEWS WHATSOEVER. So if this guy got *lucky*--where everyone else has *failed*...? Why wasn't there something on the site this month, or late last month? Or some kind of INTERNET TRAIL to follow??? S&S said they never picked up anyone by that name or the book title in question. Their site is up-to-date with the latest information, but GOOD GOD BIRD isn't among them, nor is it likely to be. And successive searches turned up nil either. NOTHING. So like the old saying goes: "There's a sucker born every minute." Are you one?