This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Genre Café > Fiction / Sci-Fi / Fantasy Forum > What do you think-- King, Meyers or Rowling??
Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 8/16/2015 5:59 PM PDT
As much as I enjoy Harry Potter, that's all J.K. Rowling has. As for Meyers, I've really got no opinion on her as she doesn't write books I'm interested in reading. King's a fantastic writer, has a ton of range, and is by far the best of the three mentioned. All of this being said, none of them are on my top five favorite authors list. 

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/27/2015 1:15 PM PST
I have read and enjoyed all of the Harry Potter series (but none of Rowling's current work).  I am a HUGE fan of Stephen King--but not for the reason many people like his work--and avoided Stephanie Meyers for quite some time.

My reason for liking King so much is his amazing ability to create a likable, vulnerable, and VERY human character who the reader cares about in somewhere between 2 paragraphs and 2 pages.  I am NOT a big fan of Mr. King's endings.  The Dark Tower (a favorite series except for the ending) ended terribly.  His "The Dome" was wonderful, but once again, I didn't care for the ending.

This said, while I really am fed up with vampire stories, when Meyers wrote "The Host", I think she did something remarkable.  I'm so glad I ignored King's diatribe against Meyers, and read The Host.  I'm still not interested in the Twilight series, however.

It is so easy to put down a writer's work because another writer didn't like it...  and I am as guilty of being swayed as the next guy, but once in a while I break out of a bad assumption only to find a real gem.

If you haven't read The Host, I'll say only this.  The story has heart, imagination, excellent characters, and a GREAT ending.  We seldom see the story of an alien invasion from the (sympathetic) viewpoint of the alien.  I recommend it.  Oh, and while the movie was quite good, and generally followed the book, the book (as almost always) is better.

Posted: 12/15/2013 3:50 PM PST
I agree with both your posts. I ADORE the Harry Potter series and I am also a big fan of Anne Rice (not to mention Stephen King) and I too wouldn't mind making a ton of money. Though I would love to leave a legacy that would be read for generations to come (which I believe that Harry Potter will) I would settle for a fast buck for right now. Then perhaps I could relax enough to write that "great American novel."

Posted: 12/13/2013 2:07 PM PST
The Harry Potter series far outshines the Twilight series in every way possible. The writing is superior, the characters are more developed, the plot is wonderful. It will be read for years to come. Meyer's is a commercial piece, but she has to be given the credit for coming up with a new idea of what a vampire can be. 

Making vampires nice, is what it is, a commercial piece that made Meyers a load of money. I personally wouldn't mind doing that. For my taste, Anne Rice is one of the best when it comes to vampires. Sorry, adding another author is not in the topic. 

I also wonder if Stephen King actually read the entire series... Somehow, I don't think so. But...who knows. 

Posted: 12/13/2013 1:55 PM PST
I read the Twilight series. What is the abusive relationship of which you are speaking?  I don't remember anyone hitting their boyfriend or vice versa.  There was violence in the movie adaptations, but was in fight scenes. The books bypassed the graphic violent scenes with innuendo of violence or described the aftermath. Meyers also stayed away from sex until marriage and then it was also innuendo of what happened. I wasn't a fan of the books, but am wondering what I missed.  Also, I think Meyers made a lot more than thousands of dollars, more like millions. 

Posted: 11/6/2013 2:08 PM PST
In regard to the King quote, I do think it was a matter of taste. I think he was condescending. As to your concern about perpetuating violence and abuse in teen relationships in fiction geared to young girls I think your point is valid. However, I am not sure I see the abuse that you (and others) speak of in regard to the Twilight series. I think it is common for girls (gay or straight) to fantasize about love on a grand scale. It is a romantic notion to fight and die for someone you love. Not that I advocate doing so, but to be so loved is quite a nice fantasy for sure. I think that young women today are smart enough to understand that it is a fantasy. At least they are reading and not watching some reality show which promotes selfish, rude, socially inappropriate and often dangerous behavior all in the name of higher ratings. As for Twilight, Edward does everything he can to protect Bella. He loves her. I'll admit at times he comes off a bit "stalker-ish" but hey, he's a vampire. But he never tries to brutalize her. They don't even engage in premarital sex, which is rather refreshing. Perhaps I am missing something and I happy to discuss it more. Thanks for sharing.

Posted: 11/6/2013 1:05 PM PST
But is this a matter of taste? For me, disliking Meyer has nothing to do with 'taste' but with her perpetuation of the romanticization of abuse in fiction geared towards young girls who are in their formative years. I could go into the importance of media representation for days, but I think this brings us to what can and cannot be acceptable in writing- and for me, I know that I am morally uncomfortable with the fact that someone is allowed to make thousands of dollars filling young people's heads with the idea that an abusive relationship is desirable, when teen dating violence is at a ridiculous high, though seldom seriously discussed or addressed. For me, this is morally irresponsible and in very bad taste. It's entertaining, shocking, and provides plenty of material for plot- but there really are some situations in which these kinds of stories need to stop being written. What may harmlessly entertain some, continues to silence and contribute to the continued violence against others. 

Posted: 11/6/2013 12:55 PM PST
To say I'm a Harry Potter fan would be an understatement and like another writer here mentioned, I too started writing to pass the time while waiting for one Ms. Rowling's next installments in the series. However, I think King missed the mark with his Twilight comment and it was unnecessarily harsh. Funny perhaps, but not the point of the story. It was a love story, plain and simple. Say what you will about Twilight, but like any author, Ms. Meyer put the time and effort into her work producing 4 books in that series alone. Actually, I think she also produced a short story based off a minor character but I digress. The point I'd like to make however is that it must be difficult, no matter how successful one becomes, to hear such negative criticism, especially from ones peers. I suppose I am from the school of "Can't we all just get along?" But I think that writers/authors should be trying to support one another, not tearing each other down. We don't all have the same taste and that is a good thing. As for Mr. King. I have always been a big fan, and believe he deserves an award for all he has achieved. I have had many sleepless nights thanks to him and have loved every terrifying minute.

Posted: 5/29/2013 3:32 PM PDT
The Harry Potter books are the reason I am a writer. (Heck, I had to find something to do while I waited between books.) And I did not enjoy Meyers at all. I gave it a try, but it's not my cup of tea. So I agree with King. Steven King is also pretty high on my list.

Posted: 5/22/2013 1:02 PM PDT
Stephen King is right. Harry Potter is about everything in that quote. It is also about courage and honor. Severus Snape exemplified great courage and honor and Harry Potter named his son after him because of it. I thought that twilight was fun in the beginning but then it turned into the typical love triangle. Meyers ruined it more by changing writing styles in the third book.

Posted: 5/2/2013 2:14 PM PDT

NavarCrow
I agree with King one hundred percent. Meyers wrote something that she knew would be popular, not something worth reading. She takes a genre (Vampires/werewolves) and makes a mockery of it. In mythology what she has made her vampires from is actually what Sookie from True Blood is. A fairy. I find it a bit disgusting. But teens don't know the difference, so.... As to Harry Potter, I think Rowling knew what she was doing, in that she had an idea for the morals of a story and a set of good characters to base it upon. She wrote a story that can be handed down to generations after. Meyers will only be passed around by ppl who fell for it.

Posted: 5/2/2013 10:20 AM PDT
I couldn't agree more with King. Harry Potter will live on in years to come and always be a favorite novel for people to read. Everyone has fears they want to overcome which makes it easy to identify with Harry. Meyer.... Before all thepre-teens and teenagers jumped in had a nice story. It was quick and easy to follow and definately provided a new twist on vampires and shapeshifters (werewolves...) Unfortunately, because it has been made into a movie series, I feel Meyer will also be around for a long time because she does touch everyone's vulnerable side; everyone wants to love and be loved in return. As for King up for a reward, that's exciting. King has always been a strong writer and deserves to be rewarded for all his contributions to the literary world.

Posted: 5/1/2013 7:11 PM PDT
I agree with King. I admire that Meyer has a lot of fans, and you have to have created a halfway entertaining story to be able to do that- but honestly, she's forced fiction to take a huge honkin' step backward in terms of 'strong female characters' and what is acceptable in terms of what kinds of relationships are held up as being healthy. My whole first novel is a strong reaction against Meyer-type characterization (though it has absolutely nothing to do with vampires or supernatural romance of any kind).

Posted: 4/29/2013 12:04 PM PDT
What is it to choose? Stephanie Meyer.

Posted: 8/16/2011 10:49 AM PDT
Just curious what webookers think of this quote by Stephen King, "Harry Potter is about confronting fears, finding inner strength and doing what is right in the face of adversity. Twilight is about how important it is to have a boyfriend," and the fact that he's up for a lifetime literary award this year.