This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 9/8/2015 3:01 AM PDT
You are talking utter rubbish and there are many typos in your post...I'm joking, you make totally valid points and I suppose these 'trolls' are just what we have to put up with in this kind of arena as I have just demonstrated in a rather weak-humoured way.

I guess we just have to jump in and see what happens, good luck.

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/3/2015 4:17 PM PDT
Well said.  I'm brand new here (just joined about an hour ago) but I did look around first, and even took advantage of the ability to'rate' as a guest to test out the system before joining.
With the anonymity of rating, it seems like a system with potential for good, allowing reviewers to judge impartialy, and hopefully ass objectively as possible. But, unfortunately, I suppose the same anonymity attracts and shields the types that will behave like the person you've mentioned :(  No idea whether it's just the typical kind of troll one finds lurking in almost every online communit like this - but they are everwhere.  I'm no stranger to critiques and ratings, so not a delicate tulip, but I guess the best we can hope for is that the majority of people rating here are adult and genuinely enough to moderate their own behaviour. There will always be those that can't.

Posted: 8/25/2015 3:12 AM PDT
Well said, and you have a system that could be employed by all to give fair judgement.

Posted: 8/24/2015 9:34 PM PDT

I have been with Webook for five years now. I have done over 4000 ratings and had two submissions reach 5 page status before Webook vanished on us. I have also reviewed over a hundred submissions that made it to level 3.

That said, I have 2 topics to discuss. One is a rater I call the Slasher and the other is the philosophy of rating.

This isn't a hard and fast rule but I give every submission a default score of 3. I'm not concerned about every word in a sentence being absolutely perfect but if you have more than three misspellings, you haven't proofed your submission enough. I reserve 2s for submissions with profanity or poorly constructed sentences. I reserve 1s for absolutely unreadable submissions with atrocious spelling or other major problems. Without naming names, I recall one submission that read like a yappy little dog on caffeine.

Good writing is a tougher call. Several times I have given submissions 3s that later made it to five page and even fifty page status.  That is the point of having multiple reviewers. We all have good or bad days. Looking back, there are several submissions I wish now I had given 4s on and a couple I wish I had given 5s. It is hard to distill an idea into 500 words. Lately, if a submission is hovering between 3 and 4 I give it the benefit of the doubt and go with a 4. There are also submissions that hit you out of the blue. Historical romance is not my thing but I recently gave one a five. Very rare for me but I recognize quality.

My other concern is a rater I call the Slasher. He first showed up 2 or 3 years ago. I recall several submissions that were well written and had no obvious mistakes but just didn't grab me. I gave them 3s or 4s. He gave them 1s. There was one submission I gave a five. I don't give 5s lightly. He gave it a 2. I can't tell you what happened after that because the author pulled his submission after only 2 votes. I would really liked to have read more of that story.

Just within the last week or two, the person I call the Slasher has shown up again. I don't know if it is the same person obviously but it has the same feel. I have read several submissions recently that were competently written and/or had interesting settings. One submission I gave a 5. Again, someone gave it a 2.

There are complaints about not leaving feedback. I am as guilty as anybody. It is hard to sum up why a submission hits you or doesn't. What we must remember is that Webook is there to encourage writers, not discourage them.