This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > The Genre Café > Horror Forum > "Twilight" books and film
A place for all your gory horror writing discussions.
Posted: 8/4/2013 10:41 AM PDT
Yeah and Stephanie Meyor made it even worse
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/1/2009 5:09 PM PDT
Sorry, copper! And mouth, that is a freaking amazing idea.

Posted: 8/6/2009 5:12 AM PDT
I propose a new group the ISPCV. The international society for the prevention of cruelty to vampires. Its primary duties would be to curb stomp twilight fans as soon as they appear.

Posted: 8/5/2009 11:17 PM PDT

Copperdragon
The dragon agrees! And I'm a she, lol.

Posted: 8/5/2009 5:42 PM PDT
I have to agree with Copperdragon on the stuff he's saying. When I write about the supernatural and the blood and guts, I flourish as a writer, but when I try to write one normal novel, it comes out like total crap. Yeah, let's face it, kids. Twilight destroyed the vampire as a whole and tried to make him human. Real vampires could kick Edward Cullen's human-loving ass. For once, I would like to meet the vampire who had exactly no remorse about killing as long as he got to eat. And I am kind of sick of the pale white vampires being constantly pale white. To tell the truth, after not feeding for a while, they should be pale from a lack of blood, but after feeding, they should look damn near human, but of course, they just look ten times better than we do. Humanizing vampires is starting to get on my nerves. Let them be vampires! Let them not care as long as they get to eat. And if you need one of them to fall in love with a human, do the fun thing and have it be the human who falls madly in love and have the vampire barely interested, maybe even down right annoyed. And under no circumstances, do not write another Twilight or House of Night or Vampire Academy novel. I used to enjoy reading vampire novels so much because they were monsters, you know? Anyone remember Lost Boys and how downright nasty those vamps were? Or even better, does anyone remember 'Salem's Lot and the whole town of thirty vamps Kurt Barlow left behind? Or for God's sake, 30 Days Of Night? Remember that movie? Those gorgeous white-skinned vampires who were so animalistic only one of them talked? That's real vampires!

Posted: 4/28/2009 10:15 PM PDT
I agree since then it has taken off.

Posted: 4/28/2009 9:59 AM PDT

Copperdragon
Hahahah, yes she has I think ruined the genre of vampire writing, which is very irritating to me-who just so happens to be a vampire writer. Grrrrrrrrrrr, its infuriating. So I think That s the fail. However, as far as stalking, manipulation and control go, you have to realize also that these are traits of a classic vampire. Glittering in the sun, however, is really stupid........... Your book would probably sell well, Jason....haha.

Posted: 4/26/2009 8:33 AM PDT

HorrorPunk
Yes, Misty, vampires came back and enjoyed a short popularity (nothing like "Twilight" fame) upon the release of "Interview with a Vampire," in the '90's. Her novels introduced the sensitive vampire (it was a novelty back then) who craved love and companionship. I still shudder at the thought of Tom Cruise as a vampire. The current "Twilight" books hurt the reputation of written horror, esp. that of vampires. Myers jumped on the bandwagon of a genre she knows nothing about, doesn't respect, and did only to make money. Maybe I should write a sci-fi book based on Mormonism. Bitch.

Posted: 4/21/2009 1:14 PM PDT
When twilight came out the world of vampires just came from no where! And when some one like has fallen in love with a made up person, the thing gose gay.... I think people think the ideas of what a vampire should be is what steph came up with, well it all started on Dracula. And this twilight book wacks are heads out of no where and every one is now taking her ideas and tweeking them with; they have fangs.... It's like it has just gone gay... Like whats up with that, no one should copy other peoples work, but every one loves vampires... There for every one whos writing about vampires is taking what ever every one else is writing about.... A never ending copy of vampires... And I'd say every just back away from the vampire...... And I'm on jacobs teem, but I think the vampires have no history like the wolfs. I only like the story line in twilight, not what the vampires can do and have all them gifts... Just the story. And yes I saw that book to, but I stride away from every vampire book.... You know that one book called The Trust? Well the writer defends what she is writing about. But really, people, just don't write about vampires and no one will compare you to twilight....

Posted: 4/7/2009 8:03 AM PDT
Agreed. 100% drivel. Should have been labeled a teenage romance instead.

Posted: 4/4/2009 8:19 AM PDT
Hmm... I love vampires, but I hate Twilight. It's just TOO overdone. Most of the stories on WEbook, though, have very nice, evil vampires. I'm working on my own vampire novel and I'm kinda stuck as to why vampires became so cool. Didn't they whole 'Vampire Phase' die down for a while but suddenly get popped back into action in the 90's?

Posted: 3/9/2009 4:24 PM PST
I think I like vampires because they have the element of being something that has a deeper meaning within their armour of striking fear and deception, etc. Well, with stuff that can me misunderstood or even tweaked, I like to venture on that road anyways. I can't help but wonder why demons are negative creatures, or werewolves, malevolent fairies, ogres, youkai(to an extent- these days they're really experimented on) , and other "evil/ malicious" creatures of myth. Like, what really is going on in their minds. Maybe because I'm that way with normal people lol. I also like the darker side of it all, although I'd like a basis- I don't wanna ask WHY they're completely evil. And I like that they're not from this planet(in the reality we see of course). So I also like aliens. lol I like possibilities..? Where am I going with this now?

Posted: 1/27/2009 11:26 AM PST
Twilight is about as enjoyable as gouging your eyes out with a plastic spoon.

Posted: 1/20/2009 8:22 PM PST
ah ok? where have you been? Dark Shadows was remade once, ran for a brief time and then dropped. Now it's been picked back up, has an entire new cast and is suppose to be around in a year or two..... but it never seems to make it very far. Never could understand that.

Posted: 12/20/2008 8:06 AM PST

anowalk
=)

Posted: 12/17/2008 10:33 PM PST

Copperdragon
Hahaha, Yeah, I remember that douche with the high pitched voice. That movie had cool effects for its time, like after he falls off the balcony, get staked, and turns from a wolf back into a human. Sweet. Things that suck for $100, please Alex.

Posted: 12/17/2008 7:34 PM PST

Copperdragon
Lol, that's really funny Jason....I wish I had seen this sooner, haha.

Posted: 12/17/2008 3:30 PM PST

HorrorPunk
Ah-hahaha...now I don't have to see the movie! http://www.cracked.com/article_16878_if-twilight-was-10-times-shorter-100-times-more-honest.html

Posted: 12/17/2008 11:22 AM PST

HorrorPunk
Heh...I remember "Fright Night." It had the most ridiculous vampire in it; the skinny little goofy blonde kid. His teeth were scary, though.

Posted: 12/17/2008 9:00 AM PST

anowalk
Translation: CopperDragon likes things that SUCK. =)

Posted: 12/16/2008 8:58 PM PST

Copperdragon
I have no idea why I have such an infatuation with vampires. I liked them since I was a little girl, after watching fright Night at age 6. Ever since them, they have been my favorite subject matter. I might also mention that it was Anne Rice who inspired me to write in the first place. And apparently, I can write ass kicking Vamp. stories. I like to write about Death, demons, Murder and Vampires. When I try to deviate from these subjects, I really don't pull it off well. I guess I'm dark inside or something......

Posted: 12/16/2008 6:08 PM PST

HorrorPunk
Come clean, Ashleigh. You only rented it because it had Mark Wahlberg in it. :-P

Posted: 12/16/2008 3:40 PM PST

AshleighUK
Back to films, I was somewhat bemused to select a 'Horror' film from the DVD rental place only to end up with 'The Happening'..........as far from a horror film as one can get I have to say!

Posted: 12/16/2008 12:29 PM PST
The basic story of Twilight was good but it could have been told waaaaay better.

Posted: 12/16/2008 10:18 AM PST
I hated the book. Haven't seen the movies, probably won't until it's being run on a TBS marathon. That being said, I liked what she was trying to do with vampires. But ultimately there wasn't enough inner conflict within the characters to really make them "pop" as compelling post-humans.

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:58 AM PST

anowalk
Kate Beckinsale=Yum. I never got a chance to read The Descent so I'll have to check that out. My friend made me watch the first half season of True Blood on HBO. More fucking vampires. Though there is an odd plot twist that has potential, but overall the series suffers from bad acting and a really convoluded and slow plot.

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:51 AM PST

HorrorPunk
I saw that movie, and thought it was pretty good. They could have done better, though. This guy did the spelunking/horror thing the best with "The Descent." http://www.jefflongbooks.com/ Awesome book.

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:46 AM PST

HorrorPunk
I liked "Underworld" though. At least it wasn't so melodramatic. Plus Kate Beckinsale is a hottie. :-)

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:43 AM PST

anowalk
I know. And I enjoyed a lot of the old originals, but most of these remakes are so hung up on blood and guts, they miss the whole Horror aspect of films. Though admittedly, the Omen wasn't the worst remake I've ever seen. Personally, I enjoyed "Buffy" as a series overall, but only b/c it set itself up to be a horror series but then totally went in the opposite direction. There was a good horror movie I saw a stretch back, about a bunch of British chicks going spelonking. The Abyss, or the Cave or something like that...

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:20 AM PST

HorrorPunk
Heh..."...and it's only gotten worse." Someone should write a soap opera with vamp...oh wait, they've already done that. I wonder if "Dark Shadows" would do well as a remake? Is it me, or does it seem like writers are running out of ideas in horror? There seems to be a lot of remakes. Halloween Texas Chainsaw Massacre The Hills Have Eyes The Fog The Omen Amityville Horror

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:10 AM PST

anowalk
I think you have to blame Joss Whedon. The "Buffy" series really brought vampires back as the cool thing during the 90's and it's only gotten worse.

Posted: 12/16/2008 9:04 AM PST

HorrorPunk
Why are vampires so cool? I've always thought of them as melodramatic ever since I read "Interview with a Vampire."