This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Fiction writers talk shop and discuss works in progress. All genres welcome!
Posted: 8/17/2015 8:08 AM PDT
Currently I'm using this site and Wattpad has a bit more people participating, but it's also a lot less original ideas and more angsty teenage fanfiction, which is fine and all, just not my cup of tea. 
As for the whole one page ratings, I've submitted one, and haven't rated any yet as I'm pretty new to this site. Personally I don't think 250 words is enough. My prologue alone is around 800, so what am I supposed to do? Put a tiny exert from my prologue? What happens when I make it to the next round and I've got enough space to put in my entire prologue? People will read it and think 'wow I've read this before'.

Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 7/6/2015 9:17 AM PDT
The one I was referring to is called Scribophile, and frankly, it's what this site could be. Unlike this site, however, the moderators are really on top of their game, and it's more like a community of writers that get together to exchange opinions. I actually would really recommend it if you're looking for a good writing website.

Posted: 6/25/2015 10:26 AM PDT
I like to read the classic, and if they had to rely on the first 250 words to determine if their writing was any good, none of them would have made it.

Posted: 6/8/2015 5:01 PM PDT
What other writer websites are there?

Posted: 6/7/2015 9:35 PM PDT
Exactly true! I want to leave good, constructive feedback, but I take several paragraphs to explain why I thought something did or didn't work (such as pointing out examples from a certain passage and making comments about them), but there's no space! I don't do Page to Fame much anymore, because the word count is so small that it doesn't allow my writing any room to breathe. Not to mention that 250 words isn't even a page; on MS Word, my pages average about 350 words double-spaced, or 600 words single-spaced. So if it really was "page to fame," shouldn't the limit be around 500 words, instead?
PTF needs a serious overhaul; last year, I submitted two PTF entries and got five ratings on each within 48 hours, although they weren't very constructive responses. Now I've gotten one rating in the past week. A few things I wish would change about it is if we could choose what entry we want to rate instead of them arbitrarily giving us an entry in a genre - another writer's website I belong to has the option to choose what work you want to read, and even has filters for new submissions, submissions from your favorite writers, submissions from authors being published, and submissions within a certain word count, in addition to filtering by genre and most/least critiques. Not only that, but even before you post a critique of someone else's work on this website, you get to see what other people have said about it. For example, if you notice something about someone's work but someone else has already gone into great depth about it, you don't have to waste time explaining. You can just say "I believe that ______ has already discussed this in depth, but I also agree with that." I HATE coming off as sounding redundant.

Posted: 4/25/2015 10:20 AM PDT
Scrap the post below!  My head obviously wasn't screwed on properly... because I'm in the 'Sci-Fi/Fantasy' forum (smacks forehead on desk).

Anyway, I've just completed my FIRST PTF rating in a while and, as usual, went for the 'something else' to explain my rating.  REALLY hate how little space you get... especially when you want to leave tips for possible improvement that the author might actually find helpful!  :(

Posted: 4/25/2015 10:00 AM PDT
Sorry to hear that, keywizard. I'm now feeling bad about my lack of participation on PTF recently.  This is a community, and we should be supporting all areas of the site. 

What genre are your submissions?  I've decided to make time to go and rate some subs at least every-other-day.  I hadn't realised quite how slow the ratings had got on there.

Posted: 4/25/2015 8:49 AM PDT
Good luck on ratings. I have ten active submissions and I am lucky if I get one vote every two weeks.

Posted: 4/24/2015 2:44 PM PDT
Hi Noah

I'll be honest, I haven't rated Page to Fame for a while, and I really should. 

The thing is, I find the first round a bit hit and miss. The word count isn't really enough to get a feel for the style of writing, people have previously marked me down for perfectly good spellings because I'm a Brit, and unless you open with something ridiculously dramatic, no one seems to think it's 'a hook' - which doesn't work with every plot line or writing style.

I prefer to participate in the monthly challenges instead, where feedback isn't anonymous (so people tend to be a lot more courteous with their feedback), reviewers have more space to write their comments, and authors can ask questions about why 'such and such' has been said, explain their country of origin/differences in spellings (if need be) and generally get a better feedback experience.

That said, I KNOW that Page to Fame will be getting an overhaul at some point, so it definitely isn't dead-in-the-water... just in limbo.

Really hope you get the feedback you want soon.  And according to the last Blog post, there are some exciting updates to the site planned over the next few months... so hang on in there!  You never know, it might have to do with Page to Fame.

Posted: 4/24/2015 4:07 AM PDT
Does anyone even rate the Page to Fame first round anymore? I haven't been here long but in my short time I have rated over 50 submissions as well as submitting three of my own for this genre. It just seems like nobody rates them as only one has a single rating and yes I know it takes three days before ratings come through. So was just wondering how many people take the time to rate submissions anymore.