This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > Grammar, Syntax, and other Nuts and Bolts > Stupid spelling mistake is costing me bigtime
WEbook's superstore for talking shop: colons vs. semicolons; dialogue format; point of view.  And everything in between.
Posted: 9/7/2011 4:43 PM PDT
I got a low rating for spelling and grammar but there is not one mistake in the whole thing. I think it's the same people going through each one and using spelling and grammar as a default to rate them low. So annoying.
Topic locked

Posted: 7/18/2011 8:21 PM PDT
Yeah, I have a story in Round 1 right now that has received all 5's and 3's except for one rating that made me laugh. One person gave me a rating of 1 because they didn't like my summary. It seriously says, "needs a stronger and better summary. Present summary is too vague." Admittedly my summary is pretty bare, but I didn't want to give the story away. But they didn't rate me for being a crapbomb writer. No, they rated me based on the summary of the actual writing. Strange. That said, these ratings are bound to just be outliers. None of us will ever get 100% 5's. Ignore the stupid ratings and take the advice of the raters that are legitimately giving thoughtful feedback.
Topic locked

Posted: 7/15/2011 5:18 AM PDT
I am sorry you got a bad rating for one mistake. Sometimes our eye moves so quickly over our own work that we miss things. I too have had a rating of one with a comment "terrible spelling" yet can not fine one mistake in it. I think the rating system is a little flawed in that way.
Topic locked

Posted: 6/24/2011 4:09 PM PDT
Yes this can be a little frustrating. I got a "1" and the comment attached was in regards to one misspelled word. I would think there was more the reader didn't like, but that was all he/she mentioned. Thoughts on the story and/or writing story would be more helpful than a low score for one mistake. But what can you do. It shouldn't make a huge difference in the long run. They take a ton of ratings, so it shouldn't weigh on your total too much I would hope. I like to think of that lousy "1" as an outlier LOL!
Topic locked

Posted: 6/2/2011 9:22 AM PDT
I rarely give a criticism on spelling mistakes, unless it is frequent and detracts from the story. If it is obvious that it's there for the characters way of speaking, then it is fine. Though overuse of incorrect spelling just because of characters can be annoying and does not help with encouraging children of today from doing things correctly. Another point is that I see that some submissions are possibly first drafts and can be forgiven a small amount of errors. Mine is still a work in progress and though I have put my first page up after checking it for mistakes, I have yet to revise the next 4 pages for mistakes and have yet to write the following 45 pages. It shall be a fun few weeks coming up. If by chance I miss the odd mistake here and there on my way, I would hope the majority of people will be forgiving of a few mistakes. What I find annoying is if a publisher doesn't accept a work because of spelling ( granted with computers there is not much excuse these days), despite how good it is, and yet after recent book purchases I have found a number of infuriating mistakes including the lead character name on a book's back cover blurb being spelt incorrectly, they should be a bit more forgiving.
Topic locked

Posted: 5/22/2011 4:14 PM PDT
I really wonder if people are giving bad ratings because of the reason stated, or if they think it will help them advance their piece. (Thinking they are knocking the competition off) When I rate a selection I try take the piece as a whole. I have given writers "4" and written in the comment section that I didn't care for the story, but rated their writing skill. (I can't stand vampire books, but do i give a well written piece a 1 because of that? No way!) I understand that not everyone agree's on how good a book is. However, when i read a page that is a 4, in my mind, I just don't understand how a fair person can rate it a 1. There just can't be that much of a disparity between readers. So take heart everyone, hopefully management can see through the pettiness. (Yes I just received my first "1", with no reason given, and around 80% of the people rating my work a "3" or better.)
Topic locked

Posted: 4/11/2011 11:01 AM PDT
I got a low rating simply because the rater paid no attention to the fact that the main character used slang or old fashioned gangster talk. Thus, it should have been quite obvious the spelling would not be normal. They liked the story, but gave it a rating of one because of grammar and spelling. There's no way to fix that either since we can't contact the readers/raters in the submissions area when they do not take into account the intricacies of the characters. I've occasionally had the same problem when writing about relatives who speak poorly and can mangle words. The stories about them come across as warm and friendly because their speech does not take away from the actual people. But, occasionally a reader will fuss about 'ain't' should have been 'isn't' and 'whatcha' should be 'what are you'. It becomes obvious they either didn't read the full content for some reason or other. My sympathies are with you.
Topic locked

Posted: 8/28/2010 3:07 PM PDT
Sorry but there is nothing we can do to alter a submission that is in rating.
Topic locked

Posted: 8/21/2010 8:20 PM PDT
I couldn't understand why I was getting negative feedback on spelling from some raters. I looked over the page numerous times and couldn't find any. But I finally found it--in the little snippet summary/synopsis. My bumbling fingers had skipped right over the letter o in the word "approaches." It came out "appraches," and I didn't catch it. I don't suppose there's any way to insert the missing o now? Any WEbook administrators out there reading this? Have mercy....Insert that o. Whadda you say?
Topic locked