This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > Brainstorming and Plot Doctoring > different perspectives, would you read it???
Help Wanted!  No idea how to actualize your spy story?  Need a creative way kill off a character?  Searching for a conflict that will propel your fantasy novel.  This is the place for a friendly kick in the right direction, complete with "adoption" threads.
Posted: 3/16/2011 2:43 AM PST
actually I've been struggling with that same question. I started out myself, believing I should focus on single perpective, but I hated it, I felt I was leaving out so much good stuff. So now, I guess I'm even worse. In one scene, I like to share the perspective of different participants. But I generally choose one persons that is the main character of a scene and then I add other peoples perspectives as this person interacts with them. When I read my work back, it feels ok. But the best way to know you're "safe" is to read other books and check how they deal with perspective. You'll instantly learn what you like and what you don't like. Checking other peoples work helps a lot and gives confidence to proceed in your chosen style :-)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/16/2011 6:53 AM PST
I disagree with the previous comment. I don't see it depending on the plot. What it depends on is presentation. You are a story teller, I am a reader. Tell me a story. If your story rocks, it rocks. You can tell it however it rolls off your fingers on to the keyboard, as long as it rocks. Your question is: Would you read a story...................... Answer: Sure, if it's good.

Posted: 2/14/2011 8:31 AM PST

Beruthiel
Sounds OK to me. You might find the limited perspective of single POV helps ratchet up the suspense though. From your characters, I'm assuming that you will be going for that sort of tension. Really, it all depends on your plot.

Posted: 1/10/2011 6:18 PM PST
I'm having trouble on deciding wether to make my novel from the point of one character (the girl) or both her and her familiar. If I do both her and her familiar, then her familiar will be in first person and she'll be in third person. Would you read a story with different perspectives like that?