This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/10/2008 2:09 PM PDT
The puzzle piece idea is a great one. Did you try it? How did it work out? I also suggest picking up a cheapie notebook at the Dollar Tree and always having it on you. When inspiration strikes, jot it down. Even if it is a bit of dialogue, or the plot arc for an epic sci-fi-adventure, if you jot it down you'll be that much closer to getting the story out of your head and onto the page.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/9/2008 12:48 PM PDT
The image of the puzzle pieces is a great one. Why not make it literal -- sort of? Start by writing your ideas down on cards -- one idea per card. Then clear out some space on the floor, throw all your cards down, and start arranging them in whatever way makes sense to you. You can also use magnets and a white board to move things around. One of the best stories I ever wrote came from an old story I cut up with scissors, rearranged, and taped to a wall. (And, yes, I know you can do that with Microsoft Word. It's not the same.) By making your metaphor literal and physical, you might be able to work through your block -- literally and physically.

Posted: 8/14/2008 9:19 AM PDT

Aloria
Don't get caught up on trying to make it perfect the first time it comes out. Just start writing. Write till you're done, then go back and edit. but only after you've gotten to an ending you kinda like. You don't have to write things in chronological order either. If a scene strikes your fancy, write it down, then, when you get to a point where that scene fits in, stick it in. If it doesn't ever fit in.. ohwell, it was a good idea at the time. The point is, though, write, and keep writing. The more you write, the more you'll have written.

Posted: 8/13/2008 9:25 PM PDT
I suffer from the age old symptom of Writer's Block. I have a million ideas in my head. In fact, I even have entire books written in my head, but my problem is how to translate those thoughts onto paper. It feels like I just took a 2000 piece puzzle box, opened it up and threw the pieces into the air. I just have to know how to find all the pieces and put it all into perspective. Any suggestions?