This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/5/2008 7:55 AM PST

Watermelon
In the book, Speak, the main character's name is Melinda Sordino. "Melinda" means "pretty", but Melinda is not pretty. Her last name is Sordino, which I looked up, and that means "sordid". It's true that Miss Sordino is sordid. :) :D "Snowy Dross" sounds like a pretty name. So does "Kiki" and "Zeke". Kiki and Zeke are perfect names for twins. They rhyme!
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/24/2008 4:35 PM PDT
"Natty" or "Sprucy" are both synonyms for "smart". So you could name her say "Natalie" and call her "Natty" for a nickname indicating that she was intelligent. Or you could just call her "Sprucy", which I think is kind of cute, and means "smart". Here's an idea. Go to Webster.com and use their thesaurus. Type in words like "smart" or "witty", get your synonyms...and go from there with whatever befits her! (It might help to start with the "nickname" and then invent her name from that, though it seems backwards). One of my characters is called "Snowy Dross". Most people don't "get it". Dross is "trash" and "Snowy" is synonymous with "white". My character is the epitome of white trash in America. Voila. Hope this helps! :)

Posted: 10/23/2008 10:13 AM PDT
eagle-eyed ace boss chief first-rate big cheese i agree with the previous poster. some more details are needed about her, as well as their relationship. are they co-workers, virtual strangers that randomly met on the street, friends of a mutual friend? where is the relationship going? are they going to end up together, or are they just best friends forever?

Posted: 10/21/2008 5:43 AM PDT
Well is the female character short, and i don't mean a one or two inches shorter i mean like five or six inches shorter? I'm only five foot tall and of course i get the nick names of 'short stuff' 'shorty' 'petite (means small in french)' 'squirt'. I unfortunately got call once midget. Can you describe you female character a little bit better? I'm good at given nicknames to people.

Posted: 10/20/2008 4:17 PM PDT
I seriously need help finding a nickname for a girl in my story. It should mean observant or on the ball or the best. It has to be kind of cute and flowy. A guy in the story calls her this name to tease her jokingly? Can anyone help?