This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 11/6/2008 1:51 AM PST
When I write and can't think of a smooth transition I generally cheat a little (awful I know, but everyone does it) I use hiatuses (*) sometimes I go back and change it if I can think of something that will make it flow better, but don't be too worried if you can't think of a transitional stage because if you have two scenes which are in different places in the story, or at a different time its better to just use the hiatus rather than saying "and then after the big explosion they went on a bit and had a look around, then ate some crisps, and then went to the toilet..." you get the point lol, *^_^*
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 10/15/2008 6:31 AM PDT
Don't worry about being choppy. Handling transitions are a craft issue, which you can get better at through practice, taking writing classes, working with a great editor, and reading a lot to see how the great ones do it. Not knowing how to manage a transition should never be a reason to become blocked! It might help to develop a split personality: The Creator, and The Editor. It's The Editor's job to make your transitions smooth, and to generally nail the craft of building a well-constructed story. But The Editor can only do his/her job AFTER The Creator is done. If you're not careful, The Editor may put The Creator on a leash, whispering, "No, don't say that, that doesn't go there, that won't work, that sounds stupid, you need a transitions," etc. which you're trying to write. That's a surefire recipe for writer's block. Instead, get an imaginary timeshare in the Bahamas, and let The Editor go chill out on the beach until The Creator is all done with a first draft. Then have them switch places.

Posted: 10/14/2008 3:10 AM PDT
Try writing a scene that happens later and once the block disappears, go back to where you were. That always works for me. I also never write anything in order.

Posted: 10/13/2008 6:03 PM PDT
Just stuck in where im at in my story...i have the plot line and everything but i am stuck on how to get to the next event without being choppy...I'm writing a fantasy/thriller. Anybody have any helping tips??