This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:58 AM PST
Well if you write down the overall plot or make a bulleted list of what you want to happen, basic plot structure is Expositision - intro rising action- small conflicts that lead to the big conflict, more informaiton about characters, Climax- the big problem, most suspenseful part Falling action- anwsers to some problems, understanding of the climax, why it happened, Resolution- the ending, all conflicts CAN be resolved unless you want readers to be left to think about possible endings.(your choice) Do it like that, and then elaborate on that, but it could help to have characters, and then a general plot, and then you could elaborate upon plot more so! I hope this helps! Good Luck
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 1/31/2010 5:37 AM PST
You can start by quickly describing the characters and the main character's problem. Then write the major storylines, or the other way around. Just do what you feel like. I personally like to write some words about what the main character's struggle is and how it ends, then work back to where it all begins. That way I can see more easily what is important for the development of the story and what parts can be shortened or written more widely. And always remember that you can change whatever you want, whenever you want it. If suddenly you like your main character to become a murdering maniac, that's fine, it's your project. I also use a writing program. There are many programs available, but the one I use is called: Writer's Café. You can download it for free and there are some useful features, like storylines and character descriptions. I suggest you download it and just check it out. Let me know if you have trouble using it. If you own a Mac, you can download many more programs that are used for writing scripts and screenplays, just google it and you'll see. However, I know WritersCafé is free, and the demo isn't limited, so one day you suddenly can't open your files any more, unless you buy it. There will be a notification after opening it x times, that you can buy it, but you can just cancel it and use your program. I hope this is useful and this will help you with your story! Good luck writing. SC PS Here's a link to the download: http://www.writerscafe.co.uk/download.htm

Posted: 1/30/2010 10:44 PM PST
I have a story all set in my head, but I don't know how to put it on paper in a quick scribble for reference later, help?