This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > Publication Station > Tips Before Sending in a submission?
Your publishing industry superstore; discussion of current trends, helpful resources and websites, query letter tips, writing contest information, and all else related to this dynamic industry.
Posted: 6/21/2010 11:05 PM PDT
Open a few accounts with Gmail (or Yahoo, Live, Hotmail...) under Not-You names. Look at Predators and Editors for their lists of Publishers and agents. Use your fake Gmail to 'practice' sending in your stuff to publishers and agents you DO NOT want to represent you. Use your 'short list' of titles to see which gets the best response.This will help you figure out what parts of your querry works, and what doesn't. Don't be affraid to ask dumb questions (when they don't know your real name, it can't hurt you or make you look bad) Especially if you do it from your mom's or your sister's computer. When you feel comfortable and feel like you've got your strongest title and querry, then start doing research on what publishers and agents you think will be a good fit for you. Most first time authors 'practice' on the big name publishers first... big mistake. Take a few months and practice submitting before you do it under your real name. Querries should be short. A few paragraphs is best. And hey, be careful with scams. Your first querry isn't likely to get any nibbles from anything but sharks) Good luck! PS You can always self-publish while you submit. But if you do, NEVER submit using the same name/title you self-published under. They WILL google your name and the title.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/2/2010 12:57 AM PST
Very good advice. I tried submitting my proposal to agent via AgentInbox but it failed, some error occurred on my side. Thankfully it did because in retrospect I can see that it was too early to submit it, and I hadn't done my research on agents.

Posted: 2/25/2010 2:57 PM PST
don't mix up the publishing names......

Posted: 6/16/2009 9:05 AM PDT

TsungChi
Research various publishers and agents to get an idea of what they publish and which specific editor/agent might be interested in handling your material. Also good to check their editorial calendar if available. Continue to narrow your search until you find the best match. Then research submission guidelines (regular mail, email, and so on).

Posted: 6/14/2009 10:23 PM PDT

Allyb
I was wondering if anyone had tips for us first timers who are a bit lost of all the information being thrown at them. The topic is about before sending in anything to a publisher or Agent, what are some tips to follow, and some tips to follow during the possess?