This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

WEbook Forums > WEbook's Writing Workshop > 911 Writer's Block:  Tips to Rev your Engine > How long should it take to write a complete novel?
A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 6/21/2010 6:55 PM PDT
I just kinda dropped my jaw upon seeing two chapters in three months, but that's because I barely ever do anything but write. Your writing should never get ahead of your kids either. Don't worry about being plotless. I did and it worked fine. Just a bit of reference, it took me four months to finish my manuscript, but 75% of that was during summer break, so I wrote basically all day. Since I finished my book, I've spent probably another five months editing it. Aside from that, everyone is different. Some authors takes years to finish a book (such as Christopher Paolini has been working on book 4 of Inheritance since 07 or 08) but some can write a novel in a year (Piers Anthony publishes a Xanth novel every year in October) Hope this helped and good luck writing! -PeacePerson
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/19/2010 7:21 AM PST
I think it would help if you didn't write completely blind. It would be easier to write a very breif plot idea. That way, you would still have the freedom to tweak it. Like for example: Two kingdoms in a war. One person can end it. This would give you room to change the genre, and direction of the story. It doesn't say how this person can end it- or who it has to be. see?

Posted: 12/25/2009 3:10 AM PST
Yeah, it could be half a year, it could be years. I've started a new study and a story at the end of last summer, and I've found it isn't such a good combination. The story isn't really getting where I want it to be, although it is moving forward. It does help me to know where the story is going. That provides you with a good idea of how long it's going to take to write it. It's also good to know the process of the story for the development of your characters, in most cases (what kind of story is yours?) and picturing the major storyline can break a writers block sometimes. It's not necessary to know the entire plot, but an idea of the final problem/ happening can help you forward. If all of this doesn't show itself to be working, you can try to take a break and write something else instead, but don't stop writing, cause it's the one thing you learn the most of. I explained I did this in another post in 911 Writer's Block. It's called "Can't finish your greatest peace of work?". Maybe that will help you if all other things don't. http://www.webook.com/forums/messageIndex.aspx?topic=bc93c91bba174f2b846c582a34b59e87&fview=true Good luck, SC

Posted: 12/24/2009 3:27 AM PST
if you're having trouble getting into the flow of writing, try a month long writing event, such as NaNoWriMo (http://www.nanowrimo.org), which also has links to similar ones on its website.

Posted: 12/23/2009 2:30 PM PST
Seriously, as long as it takes … some novels take years to complete …

Posted: 12/23/2009 8:16 AM PST
I have been writing for almost three months now and I am only on the second chapter! I guess it was writer's block, but mostly lack of motivation. I know I should be putting my writing at the top of my priority list, but I have so many other things going on (kids for one). Also, the book I am writing is totally freestyle; no plot in mind really. Just writing blindly. What should I do and how long should it be taking me to wriite/complete my novel? Thanks in advance for your help!