This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 5/30/2010 2:14 PM PDT
Go to the middle of your house. Anywhere that doesn't share a wall with the outside. That will cut down on the noise. Nighttime writing will make a big difference as well, since if your island is anything like normal, life is just quieter at night. Worst comes to worst, build a recording booth with sound proof walls. :) alright, that may be a bit drastic. The music thing helps too. Especially orchestral music since then you won't get clogged up the song's words and forget your own. John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Howard Shore, Harry Gregson-Williams are all good composers if you need orchestral stuff. Good luck and may you find quiet in the bedlam.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/27/2010 3:43 PM PDT
Wait until it's dark, it has always helped me write, it's pretty calming and overall smoother. While it's dark, turn on some music, and constantly change around the artists or else there will be no inspiration after a while, but instead of using the speakers on your computer, get your iPod and put in your headphones, or if you don't have an iPod, there's probably someway you can plug in headphones to your computer, I know there is on laptops. Hope I actually helped!

Posted: 9/18/2009 7:18 PM PDT
Ear plugs? Quiet usually helps me too. I get distracted easily. Maybe listening to some music? Like, if you going to write an angry scene, listen to some angry music to get the emotion going.

Posted: 9/17/2009 8:35 AM PDT
I have such trouble writing/thinking when there's noise and since I live on an island - there is ALWAYS noise and lots of it. There's no place to really go to escape it so I was wondering if anyone had any tricks of the trade to share as how to get over it and just write anyway.