This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:52 AM PST
Well what are you trying to describe? It would be easier if you could list examples, but if you want them to be personified or do you just want to generally describe items. (not to sound rude, because i can sometimes sound rude via text\type) It would be much easier if you could list a few examples of what you want to be described, and where you want them to go or lead to. What you posted was general statement, more so then something to really help with, because I could help you, just let me know what you want to have help with.
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 2/10/2010 1:45 PM PST
the best way to do this is to have a image in ya head say start with a point form for example Sewer-Manhole Grate-woman passing in your head you know what the three things look like so write down a note for each and describe start very basic Sewer-Dark-Circular-Sewage running through it-Rats roaming through it-water dripping echoes Manhole Grate-Rectangular with bars-Rust Woman Passing-Physical description of woman's clothing-Physical Description of woman The work up to a single sentence for each item The darkened sewer echoed with rain water dripping The manhole grate glowed with the light from the streetlight above it The dark haired woman struggled with the baby as she walked past the sewer and go from there.... hope I was of some help

Posted: 2/6/2010 11:49 PM PST
Have you tried to *visualize* by using your "mind's eye"? Think of what you're writing as a movie playing inside your head. I know this probably sounds corny and a bit cliched, but if it works...? If you can do *that*, then you'll be able to "see" everything that is going on with your book project. doesn't *mean* that EVERYTHING is in perfect, crisp, and GRAPHIC detail, but it will help give you a strong semblance of your immediate surroundings. With people, you just have to be a bit more liberal with your descriptions. As opposed to describing something like a *rock*--for instance--people require more interaction and visual coordination. In this, you have to study them from either close-range or afar and jot down everything you see: Profile, colors, clothing...*anything* that stands out or sticks out to you. Of course, total strangers don't like it when you're staring at them intently. Makes them feel uncomfortable. Try taking a second's "snapshot" of the person you're seeing in front of you and quickly write down what you just saw. With inanimate objects...? Well, a tree is *just* a tree. A lake is *just* a lake, and two feet of snow, is well...A LOT OF FUN! Don't feel discouraged if you can't get it right. Take your time, pace yourself, and just have a good time. Breathe... Play some music... Eat chocolate... AND RELAX. You'll get there. Trust me. :0)

Posted: 2/6/2010 11:01 AM PST
I think i can help. Imagine what you want to describe and write down three characteristics of it. Example: A meteor -Size -color -tail So im gonna say its massive, red, and therefore its tail is red as well. So here is a good description i think. Looking out the narrow window I saw it pass near. A massive meteor that illuminated the dark space with a miraculous red light. Its tail stretched for miles leaving behind a faded maroon(a dark red) wake. Its probably could be written better but i hope that helps. Three characteristics and just capitalize on them and make it sound good. thats all I can say.

Posted: 2/6/2010 5:56 AM PST
I'm not quite sure what you mean. Can you elaborate?

Posted: 2/4/2010 9:31 PM PST
I have a hard time with descriptions. Describing everyday THINGS and how they effect their environment. Especially those of the fantasy/fiction genre, but mostly of anything. Any tips?