This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

An online poetry forum that covers it all: meter, verse, style, content, inspiration--and much more.
Posted: 9/9/2014 1:18 AM PDT

pdsa1
A rhyming dictionary is always helpful but don't rhyme all the time, all so I will be considering making a project in helping people to improve poems but as long as it comes from you heart it is a poem.
Here is a like to some books you might find useful.

http://www.writersdigestshop.com/writing-genre/poetry
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 5/7/2011 8:33 AM PDT
Thanks Anowalk, I just went to Amazon to look up "How does a Poem Mean?" and it sounds awesome. I will be hunting Half Price Books stores for it now. I am currently reading/studying Mary Oliver's "A Poetry Handbook" and it has some good stuff. It seems like a good text for those new to poetry. I am thinking of starting a poetry club at the school I work at next year. So keep the suggestions coming guys I want to compile a list to give to students and start planning lessons for members.

Posted: 5/6/2011 10:11 PM PDT
George Bataille "Inner Experience" Pablo Neruda. 20 Poems of Love. 100 Sonnets. Becquer.

Posted: 5/6/2011 7:33 AM PDT
Sounds good, I was looking at another poets work today actually, 'Almost Dorothy' by Neil de la Flor, is some of the funniest stuff I hav seen in a while, you should look at all of these books as it will giv you great insight into the world of peotry! Good luck on your writes, I hope to see more! ~Ben

Posted: 5/6/2011 7:11 AM PDT

anowalk
"How Does a Poem Mean?" by John Ciardi is the Bible of poetry texts, as far as I'm concerned. It's both thorough and insightful in getting a poet up to date about all the forms of poetry that have come before and how & why they've functioned in such ways. "They Eye of the Poet: Six Views of the Art & Craft of Poetry" is also a quality read.

Posted: 5/5/2011 7:09 AM PDT
I see, technique can be a challenge to learn when it comes to creative writing. I reccomend starting to write poetry yourself, before reading books on technique of poetry, as your own style is often the best! :D If you find yourself struggling, it is not YOU, it's just a minor case of writers block, try not to look at techniques of poetry, but actual poetry itself, or short stories, the Edgar Allan Poe collection is a must read! I often find that reading other work is more helpful than reading books on the technique of writing. Inspiration is the key. I am sorry if that makes no sense, a couple of beers really gets to me.... ~Ben

Posted: 5/4/2011 1:07 PM PDT
Thanks for the response Bennyboi. I can agree that poetry is an internal art form but my main objective for this post was to get some reccomdations for books that teach poetic technique. Technique, as in the art of writing poetry because with any art form an artist should be aware of all the skills and techniques to fully pull of their vision.

Posted: 5/4/2011 12:22 AM PDT
None, poery can't be taken from books, it should be taken from yourself, or from your life, not someone elses words. First hand experience opr something you find intresting... I lie... I often find that writing poetry does flow better from the brain, but using books, for information and research on the topic is a good idea. What I hate to see is a poem based on another poem.... that is like being christian and worshipping the devil... Or something, less... serious... Godd thought though, I suggest research before writing is the best idea for the newer poets, others may find that writing poetry comes naturally... I am an imbetweeny guy on this one. I am currently writing a poetry book based on 'War' not necassarily a specific war, but WW2 is most present. For this project I found myself constantly looking up information... but I didn't bother sticking strictly to the facts, I bent them to create different meanings. All a poet needs to do, is do what they feel is write... ~Ben

Posted: 3/9/2011 5:48 PM PST
What are some books on poetry that have helped you write better poems?