This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

Questions or comments about PageToFame? Let us know!
Posted: 4/28/2011 10:47 PM PDT
Dudette, You do know that if those idiots created a hostile work environment for you based on your illness, you are protected by labor laws? Stupid, mean people make me really angry. On the other hand, you will be able to thumb your nose at them when you're a famous author. Perhaps send the cretins copies with your warmest wishes. . . .
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 3/9/2011 8:04 AM PST
WOW Lanette, you look amazing in that dress! I've never worn anything that looks anywhere near as cool as that! And you DO NOT look heavy! Glad you had such a great time there. As someone else commented... what a pretty lady! :)

Posted: 3/9/2011 8:00 AM PST
You're right, Vanessa. We are loved by our wonderful husbands who find us completely beautiful.

Posted: 3/9/2011 7:55 AM PST
You don't look heavy - who is feeding you these vicious lies?!? You're a gutsy talented dame, like me! And our husbands love us, so there!

Posted: 3/9/2011 7:18 AM PST
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=287451&id=784942269#!/album.php?aid=287451&id=784942269 Keep in mind, I'm not that heavy, and I should have had a profile pic because you can't tell in these pics that I have DDs. Yeah, I know. I'm vain.

Posted: 2/28/2011 4:20 AM PST
Needless to say, if our arms 'were' long enough, and the time difference allowed, that hug would be returned in kind. I'll keep my eye open for that link... :)

Posted: 2/27/2011 5:14 AM PST
I think that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I wish my arms were long enough to reach across the ocean to give you a big hug. I'll be posting pictures on my FB account, and I'll post the link here.

Posted: 2/26/2011 11:23 PM PST
Just thought I'd check the forums to see if there was anything about 'how Lanette got on at the conference'...(I know I'm hours adrift of you, but I still kept thinking about you yesterday and wondering how it was going/would go/had gone?). Reading these entries though... I've always thought you were pretty awesome, but the fact that you went out there and gave a presentation that had an agent asking for pages, despite some reservations, after what you'd been putting up with at work, right up until the day before and the fact that you yourself were feeling 'shit' (according to the Bummed forum), well, it seems I was right about you... I'm so pleased it went well Lanette. I bet you looked amazing in your new outfit and I'm not surprised the agent asked for pages, you're a talented writer - a fact that obviously shone through.

Posted: 2/26/2011 7:16 PM PST
Obviously, I don't have time to change it. That would be akin to writing a completely different book- can't be done in an evening. But I did go back through my first few pages and tightened up a couple of sentences. I think what I have written is good, and if this agent passes on it, I'll find someone else.

Posted: 2/26/2011 6:50 PM PST
Don't you dare! This is YOUR story. If you start rewriting based on someone else's opinion of how it should be done, then it's no longer your story. Look at how different everyone's critique was in the RC....we all had things WE thought should be different, but the only suggestions you took were the ones YOU felt would enhance the story. A few alterations here and there won't make it any less your story but a major overhaul to suit one particular agent is taking your original vision and completely distorting it. And what if he passes on it and you send it to another agent who says they would have liked it if you'd written it in an alternate universe?? It would be different if he said he's interested in publishing it if you made certain changes - you'd have a commitment and wouldn't be altering it for no reason, but there's no guarantee he'd take it even if you could change it before he read it. Besides, how many intricate details rely on the different world you've created? Things to ponder...

Posted: 2/26/2011 6:04 PM PST
I wish I had time to re-write it to put the story in this world.

Posted: 2/26/2011 5:58 PM PST
That definately qualifies as awesome news. Just getting it into an agent's hands who has expressed interest is a major feat. I'm so excited for you and fully expect you to keep us posted. Forge the way for the rest of us peasants. Congrats - you earned it!

Posted: 2/26/2011 5:43 PM PST
Awesome news! Okay, maybe not awesome, but pretty darn good news. My pitch went very well. The agent loved the premise, but hated the fact that it was partially set in a different world. He said he probably will not represent it, but he's intrigued enough that he requested pages.

Posted: 2/25/2011 9:35 AM PST
Thanks. You know what really stinks? (I'm laughing as I'm typing this, so everyone can laugh with me.) I just got pulled into my boss's office because her boss just realized that I shouldn't be doing a presentation on the last day of work. ROFL! I worked hard on it, and I wanted to show off on my last day, but this is actually better so I can save my voice for something more important.

Posted: 2/25/2011 9:17 AM PST
Hang tough Lanette. BTW, if you whisper during your pitch, it will probably make them lean in close and pay better attention - a plus! You're a fighter - best wishes today!

Posted: 2/25/2011 6:01 AM PST
I also have a presentation to give at work today, which btw, is my last day at work. I'm quitting in part because of the chemo treatments but also since I have gotten sick, I've been treated horribly at work. There was some reprieve when I passed out in one of our hospitals after I conducted a training session, but two weeks later, my boss started treating me like I'm either incompetent or lazy. She's made it obvious she doesn't want me there anymore, but since I've turned in my notice, she's been surly and barely looks at me. In other words, I really don't think the bastards I work for are going to hear the fact that I can't talk and let me out of doing the presentation. But that's okay. Because today will be the perfect example of the type of employee that I've been all along. Despite the adversities of my side effects, I have plugged through and done my best. When people see me stand up in front of the entire compliance department with only a hoarse whisper and give an animated speech on the history of privacy, I can walk away from that place with my head held high knowing I didn't wimp out and gave them my best.

Posted: 2/25/2011 5:47 AM PST
Don't talk until the conference - the less you talk, the faster you'll heal. You'll do a spectacular job. We all have faith in you!

Posted: 2/25/2011 4:56 AM PST
I have bronchitis. That's not too big of a deal; I can take some cough medicine and go to the conference. I also have laryngitis. How am I supposed to pitch my novel when I can't talk?

Posted: 2/22/2011 5:09 AM PST
Hey - remember one publishing pro gave me a 2 and stated they "didn't like women who had to rely on a man to tell them they're beautiful" - yeah, real professional opinion there. This is the same sub that got two 4's in R1 from publishing pros and is currently in R3 so don't let get you down.

Posted: 2/22/2011 4:09 AM PST
Thanks, Kim. I'll keep everyone updated. It's a little disheartening that I received a 3 on my 5 page sample from a publishing pro, but I have to keep in mind that's just one agent. Another may love it.

Posted: 2/21/2011 7:15 PM PST
Lanette - here's my 2 cents: be confident in your story, don't mention that you changed it from fairie to suit another agent - it will be YOUR enthusiasm for the novel that sells it. You're a beautiful, talented, sharp dressing author who has written a fantastic tale that any publishing house would be remiss in passing up. Nothing negative about your inexperience or any doubts you have about your story - it's brilliant, and if you believe it, they will too. Work it baby....:)

Posted: 2/21/2011 10:10 AM PST
Thank you. Yes, I'm pitching Satyr. I just got back from shopping, and I bought shoes and a purse to go with the dress. I quit my job on Friday, so hubby's going to think I've lost my mind. Guys don't understand that women need to rock our sexy, fashionable selves for important events.

Posted: 2/21/2011 8:57 AM PST
Best wishes. Are you pitching Satyr? it's very creative.

Posted: 2/21/2011 8:34 AM PST
Good Luck Lanette... I've never been to anything like that, so I don't really understand what goes on or what you have to do, but if you've got the dress sussed, then the rest is bound to go well!! :)

Posted: 2/21/2011 6:28 AM PST
I'm counting down to this weekend's writer's conference. I have a pitch session scheduled for Saturday that I'm excited about. Being the girl that I am, I have spent more time looking for the perfect outfit than on the pitch. I found my dress, and it is absolutely stunning! As to the pitch, I have my query written, so I have a good idea what I'll be saying, and I tried out the pitch on a friend at church a couple of weeks ago. The only thing I won't have any control over is how I'll feel, but I've also worked it out with my doctor to delay the treatment until after the conference, so I should be fine. I think I have everything worked out. Presbyterians don't believe in luck, but wish me luck anyway. :)