This will flag comments for moderators to take action.

A discussion to stoke your writing fire.
Posted: 9/11/2009 8:29 PM PDT
thanks I really appreciate that. =)
Sign-Up or Login to Reply

Posted: 9/11/2009 2:23 PM PDT
It really depends on your story. No one can answer for you which is best. You have to decide which one will work the best in your story line. Now, as for putting it on paper (er, computer), you really should just write something. Whatever comes out of your head, just write it. Let it flow. Then go back and edit it. Maybe think of it this way - if it were the first time you ever visited Rome (random example city), what would you notice? Real setting or not, your readers probably won't have been to wherever you're describing. And if it doesn't come out right the first time, well, that's why you have the people of webook to tell you when it doesn't make sense.

Posted: 9/11/2009 1:25 PM PDT
anybody? i'm new to writing and would really appreciate any advice on how to incorporate setting into a story and if it's best to research an actual location or make up your own place... thanks again

Posted: 9/6/2009 4:38 PM PDT
I need some help with a setting as the title says. I can see it in my head and feel it like I'm there but what's the best way to relay the onto paper? Should I use a real place or make up my own with my ideas? I don't want it to be cliche but I want something people can relate too and feel like the main character is them or someone they know, I guess realistic. In my mind... I see a small but not rural town. Productive and successful people with all the makings of your average suburbia. Nothing bad really happens like crime but it's not the perfect place either. Everybody doesn't know everyone but the people do know their neighbors. Get what I'm saying? Heh. Need some help obviously. I feel like I'm saying "it's not black or white, but it's not in color either." thanks in advance